The Official Cade Cowell thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 23, 2019.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think Cade will mature into a forward because he too often passes the ball rather than take the shot. And if he grows another 2 inches, and develops a good header, he could become quite the ideal CB.

2. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    If my wife would let me, I would bet the house against anyone ever even thinking of making him a CB. His lack of aerial game is maybe his biggest area of improvement, and playing CB would be a complete waste of his speed and finishing.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

4. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I seriously doubt this will happen, but if Cowell was to be turned into a defender, that would be a failure of those who coached him, not of him.

5. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Okay, so it's a fact that Berhalter has his job because of nepotism rather than his own qualifications? That would not surprise me. He sucks.

And no, I try not to follow US Soccer because it's a complete waste of time.

mjlee22 repped this.
  6. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    As of today, Berhalter has the highest winning percentage of any USMNT manager in the nations history. Granted he hasn’t went through a WC yet, but that doesn’t exactly strike me as sucking, especially considering the recent results in Nations League and Gold Cup

SoccerMan94043 and JazzyJ repped this.
  7. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It looks like the sample size is 35 games, and they got through the knockout stages of the 2021 Gold Cup with a series of 1-0 victories. I'll invoke Shania for a moment and say that don't impress me much. Even less so when you look at his total numbers in Columbus.

But here's the kicker. It doesn't matter how many games he wins for the national team. I don't want any Quakes players playing for him because that means they aren't playing for the Quakes in that time.

8. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically it is not a proven fact, I.e., no one in USSoccer past or present has admitted to it yet

9. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically it is not a proven fact, I.e., no one in USSoccer past or present has admitted to it yet

10. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not unthinkable for Cade to become a CB. Nick Lima was originally a forward, as was Kelly O’Hara. Both changed to defense in college, and Cade is even younger than that. I think his best position is still TBD.

Brandi Chastain switched to fullback fairly late, I think. Matt Turner was originally a field player.

bsman repped this.
  11. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Cowell was a right back as a youngster. He has already switched positions to play as an attacker. He will not be converted to center back. They cannot do this in the top flight.

12. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, I'd be very, very surprised if CC wound up being a CB. That said, who would have predicted, in 2014, that TT would wind up playing right back, and even left back at times! Still don't think that's the right place for him, and I think it's says more about TT becoming a versatile player than him finding his "spot". But he is a player that turned out to be a different player than I think most people thought he'd be.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  13. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Have you not paid attention over the past 12 years? The EQs have done this sort of thing more times than I can count!

14. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    Guys, stop the madness! Cowell will never be a centerback! Why not make Havertz a CB? He's tall!! What about Mbappe? Bet players would have a hard time gettin' round him!!

Just because one time someone noticed that Lima doesn't have a lot of skill and should probably play a long way from goal doesn't mean that it could happen to anyone. What attributes does Cowell have that tell you he's a CB?

15. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    She thinks he shoulder charges too much.

mjlee22 repped this.
  16. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Vermes turn into a decent defender?

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He's got incurable SCS - Shoulder Charge Syndrome :).

Earthshaker and jeff_adams repped this.
  18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Also, he doesn't fall down when touched. Don't you schmucks know that's vital for a striker?

19. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you guys are hilarious! Please note, I only said Cade could convert to CB IF and a big IF he grew 2 inches (as he is still pretty young) and he developed a good header.

Coincidentally, I just read the Aug-18-2021 writeup on Cade in The Athletic. In it, Almeyda said that Cade has to improve his aerial game. So this is a bigger problem than I thought (cue Danny Hoesen). I also didn't realize that Cade is from Modesto and came to the Quakes at 15 and has been living with a Quakes academy guy who is also president of the local Liverpool academy franchise. Article also said that Cade has the highest vertical jump on the team, although that is probably not saying much. I bet Shea has the 2nd highest... :D

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sort of - Alex Saunders (the EQ Dir. of Academy Operations) runs a housing unit in Los Gatos for (I believe) four academy players, and Cade is living there.

21. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm the article says: "The solution was a simple one for Saunders: Cowell would live with him, and his family would serve as Cowell’s host family for his time in San Jose.... Cowell’s two bikes and his fishing rods adorn Saunders’ garage. And while Cowell refers to the Saunders household as his host family, which is technically true, their relationship is a close one"

bsman repped this.
  22. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I just know what Alex told me... I've spoken to him many times, but he didn't mention that was his family's home.

mjlee22 repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I've seen TT get some pretty good air from time to time, for a short-ish guy. Don't know about Salinas...

[​IMG]

bsman repped this.
  24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hush - the party line is that Tommy is too short, too slow, and can't jump. Don't want to confuse the cognoscenti with facts...

25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well he is a bit short and slow TBH, but on occasion I’ve seen him really get some air. I remember his very first year, one of his first games, a ball popped up in the box (opponents box) and he leapt up and beat the defender who probably had a good 6” on him and dropped the ball in front of Wondo. Should have been a goal but Wondo shanked it wide.