The Official Cade Cowell thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 23, 2019.

1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A number of times we said "sub in Cade...oh, wait..."

Jamaica is a fast team. If they finished better, we'd have been down about five goals.

2. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had Dike for most of the game... Cade isn't at his level yet.

3. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    I didn't mean that kind of bigger.

4. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    What was the purpose of having Cade called up to the Nation team for barely one week? Did he even get a chance to audition or were they just looking for players to emulate their upcoming opponent?

TyffaneeSue and don gagliardi repped this.
  5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's one big diff between Cade and Hoppe. Hoppe is a very selfish player. I've only watched him in these Gold Cup games, but he always takes the shot even though there are other options. Cade tho has been trained to cede to someone who may have a better option. Hoppe reminds me a little more of Clint Dempsey -- hyper competitive -- keeps trying until he scores. That's what it takes to be the best. I don't sense that Cade will get to that point, that maybe his outcome will be more like Yueill's.

6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Perhaps GGG simply wanted to see how he fared against the gold cup roster to determine if it makes sense to invite him to the camp for the next WC qualifiers. That seems like the most obvious reason to me.

7. Napoleon_BA

Napoleon_BA Member

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    CA Lanús
    Playing in the Gold Cup would have cap-tied him to the US.

Playing in up to 3 WC qualifiers will NOT cap-tie him due to the FIFA changes made last September. He would still have to wait 3 years before making a one-time switch if he plays for the USMNT in a WC qualifier, but that would mean that he would be eligible for Mexico in 2026 if that's what he wants to do.

The USMNT has been showering him with attention and keeping him involved. The FMF has not... yet.

He's 17, there's no reason for him to rush it with the next WC being 16 months away and he wouldn't even make either nation's roster right now.

8. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I’ve read, unless an American speaks really fluent Spanish and has a lot of Mexican culture, he will not be accepted by the other players or the coach. I think Mexico only cap-ties most dual-nationals just to keep them away from the USA. The only recent exception might be Efrain Alvarez of the Galaxy.

9. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rogelio Funes Mori has gotten crap from Mexican Fans cuz he's an Argentinian who recently switched to Mexico.
    https://www.goal.com/en/news/dont-c...ri-under-the-mexico/uz0r9hq1o2u51d0xmrghh463r

mjlee22 repped this.
  10. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think it was potential cover for Arriola. He had to leave the first game with a hamstring injury. They needed to see if Arriola could recovery to be an option in the knock out rounds...which in hindsight, might have been a bad call. He looks tentative... a shadow of himself...which is not good...he was never an impact attacker...he's a grinder with the heart of a lion, but a poor attacker and finisher when he is healthy.

I was hoping GB would sit Arriola and add Cade.

DotMPP repped this.
  11. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Five standout teenagers in MLS this season — by the numbers

Cade Cowell

This won’t come as a surprise to those who have watched him play for the San Jose Earthquakes this season, but Cade Cowell is the fastest teenager in MLS. With a top sustained speed of 10.005 meters per second, only five players in the entire league have moved faster than Cowell in 2021. With his speed, Cowell has been an asset to San Jose this year. He leads the Quakes in goals (4), he’s second in xG (2.65) and he’s fifth fourth in terms of shot assists (21).

Cowell is still raw, which is to be expected of a 17-year-old; he’s no stranger to heavy touches and he sometimes over-dribbles. That said, the teenager has shown glimpses of bright technical ability this season. This lovely first touch and backward flick to Shea Salinas from San Jose’s 2-2 draw with Minnesota United is a perfect example.

Even when he’s not on the ball, Cowell uses his speed to his advantage. He’s put together the 14th most off-ball runs in MLS this season and the 20th most off-ball runs per game. Between his on and off-ball contributions, Cowell has been a hugely important player for San Jose this year – and it looks like the sky is the limit.

12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  13. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice video clip. Even though Quakes are having a rough year the players still appear to be a tight knit group.

Beckham7 repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Hehe, his Dad set up a weight lifting area in Cade's back yard they call "the prison yard". He has been pounding the iron for years.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  18. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t realize that Cade was that much faster than everyone!

19. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today for SJ vs LAFC I ate my pre-game meal (chicken bibimbap from the Korean Food truck) in the VIP area and watched the warm-ups from fairly close distance. I noticed that Cade Cowell has pretty large thighs -- probably 2" bigger in diameter than Jackson's, even though they are about the same height. It's kind of unbelievable that these are 17 year old legs. :eek: They look more like the legs of a 25 year old sprinter...It would be interesting to see him stand next to Jozy so that i can compare... :rolleyes:

1424547596417212419 is not a valid tweet id

20. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this kid. I’m glad to see kids like him get an amazing opportunity to play. It’s not like he had to go to Oak Grove HS, in 1978, to get a look from the Quakes organization. I’m still looking for that rejection letter.

mjlee22 repped this.
  21. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

xbhaskarx repped this.
  22. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s going to be on ExtraTime soon

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Predicting Gregg Berhalter's first USMNT World Cup Qualifying roster

kid needs to step it up...

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    What? Cade's just got his first little taste of success in MLS and now he's aleady "regressed". :rolleyes:

He's not ready to be on USMNT for qualifiers. He's not even really a starter for his club team. The all-star thing is more of a "well he's 17, and that's cool" starmaker MLS kind of thing. He'll have his chances, but it's not his time yet. And I think he'll struggle a bit in the all-star game. Just a little too much too soon for him IMO.