The Official Cade Cowell thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 23, 2019.

1. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah that's the angle I was talking about. it's deceptive. looks decent shot from that angle but it wasn't. If you have it recorded go back and check the replay angle it's much better and shows it was not a good shot.

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  2. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Fierro could’ve done better but the momentum of the attack fades when Cade pulls up and looks for a pass when he should’ve let one fly.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    If you're referring to me I'm not "vociferously extolling the virtues of Rios". I simply point out the things that he does well. And I'm also not shy about pointing out his deficiencies as well. As odd as it may seem, not everything is black and white and we don't necessarily have to harp incessantly on the black or the white all day long unto eternity.

4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How long have you been around here? :D

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Too long :)

bsman repped this.
  6. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #381 Quakes05, Jun 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Yeah well, it was a drag when you checked out so I’m glad you’re back, hopefully Don G will rejoin the party too. You, bsman, TyffaneeSue, Earthshaker, Goodsport, falvo, Beerking, markmcf8, NedZ, Don and several others were here when I joined out of my frustration with the crap mercury news coverage when our team was in peril. Don, of course, was a part of the effort to bring the Quakes back, for which I will be eternally grateful, despite JF and our track record since.

bobby_guzman, bsman and JazzyJ repped this.
  7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    So Cade has scored more goals in MLS with his weak left foot than his right. Maybe he is not so weak......

8. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I saw an interview with Cade (forgot where) and they asked him what people might not know about him or think wrong about him. His answer was that he's not as bad with his left as people think he is.

bobby_guzman and jeff_adams repped this.
  9. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've watched him warmup before games a few times now. You know how you watch most teams warmup and lots of balls go into the bleachers. Not Cade's... all were driven low to the corner. Both of his feet are powerful and he's got an amazing shot for a 17 y/o.

JazzyJ repped this.
  10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yes he has a “heavy” shot - the ball comes off his foot with pace even when he doesn’t really whack it, like his goal last night.

11. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also had that really nice assist with his left. I think it might be that he favors his right and goes that way much more often (when maybe he should be thinking left?) I also know that I've always had a decent left footed shot IF I didn't have time to think about it. As soon as I had time, it went bad.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

bsman repped this.
  13. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does. Not. Mean. Squat.

14. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    His last couple of goals have been nice. They were similar in that they came from some Wondo-esque off the ball movement -- start near the defender, then drift away from the ball to find space. Made them look easy, like something I could even score, which is exactly what good strikers do.

The 2.75 million seems like it's still undervalued. I'm taking the over on that one.

I was really disappointed to see him left off the gold cup roster. Hopefully it's not due to any wavering about representing the US.

15. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    xbhaskarx and bsman repped this.
  16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I don’t think too many people would have bet that he would be the leader after a third of the season.

bobby_guzman and bsman repped this.
  17. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    The American Mbappe. :)

18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Too soon...

[​IMG]

QuakeAttack repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I thought he'd top out at around 4 for the season, so yeah, I was off, unless he cools off completely. He did have a very long dry spell, and then scored 2 games in a row. And those weren't fluke goals either, just solid finishes from middle distance.

And IIRC correctly you were a guy who was cooling off the Cade talk by saying that he wasn't scoring much in the academy games? :) I wanted him to get in the games his very first year - 2019, because we were so desperate for speed / change of pace. I thought he could at least disrupt defenses a bit, especially against tired legs. Could have at least given him a few sub-in spots.

20. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He's also put in positions where it's easier for him to shoot with his left than right. You can blame Almeyda for that. Although, I welcome his use of whichever foot is gonna get the job done.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but that's pretty sad. 4 goals and 3 assists are not barn-burning numbers this far into the season, so the real news is that the Americans in MLS are lagging way behind their non-American counterparts. Hopefully the work being done at the youth levels continues to pay off because otherwise we're looking at a very bleak future for American players.

And to be clear, I don't have any issue with MLS bringing in talent from abroad at all. I'm more disappointed that despite MLS knowing full well that it would have to up its development game, we're not really seeing that many dividends within the league, even still.

Good news is, the shift in price is quickly making Americans the affordable alternatives again like they were at the beginning of the league, and the push MLS is making toward having its won development league (which they'd tried already years ago) will help. I wish it were for altruistic reasons, but the obvious end-game is an MLB style system where they can control young players for longer periods of time before selling them abroad for cash.

bobby_guzman and QuakeAttack repped this.
  21. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We a little more than a third through the season. Take through a full season and we are looking at 10-12 goals and 8-10 assists which are really good for his age...on a bad team. However, he had a fast start to the season and it's doubtful that the Quakes will get much better in the season.

22. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I thought he would have a break out season, which he just might still do...had him pegged for 6-9 goals...then upped it to 9-12 goals prior to the start of the season. I thought the team would be more cohesive and provide a better foundation for Cade to succeed, but we're still adrift...still haven't gelled.

The sad part is he hasn't started every freaking game. Almeyda pulled him from the line up when Rios, apparently got healthy, which ate up a lot of Cade's minutes...big mistake imo...

23. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good for his age, sure. Not good for all Americans in the league, though. We're long past the era where just getting to ten goals is enough on its own. Not when we've had players get into 20 or 30 goals a season.

I also agree, he's unlikely to get there given his current form and the freefall that the team is currently suffering. I would bet he gets seven goals and maybe seven or eight assists.

24. SoccerIsOurLife

Feb 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall a Twitter broadcast of maybe two games ago where the announcers said they were told Cade's game time had been shortened because he was working through a knee knock that had not yet healed, which was why he was not starting and playing as long as he had been at the start of the season. That would explain much of what everyone has complained about. I think he needs time, which maybe these two weeks have helped him.

mjlee22 and bobby_guzman repped this.
  25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    The domestic goal scoring picture is not that bleak. in 2020, 4th, 5th, and 6th highest goals were Americans. Zardes and Morris have been up there for a few years. Zardes scored 19 a few years ago. Morris moved on*, as did Jozy some years ago, when he was in his prime.

*Hmm, moved on - maybe it's that American strikers are too good for the league then! :)