The Official Cade Cowell thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 23, 2019.

1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The litmus test is how people refer to freeways. 101 -- you're one of us. "The 101" -- get out of here!

bsman, SeaJayBee, BCaso18 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Central coast is Santa Cruz to Monterey.

3. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    Central coast to me is Big Sur down to Vandenberg/Lompoc

4. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I grew up in SLO, I always considered it central coast.....back then to me Monterey was "Nor-Cal".....

And now back to the Cade thread.....hope he bags a couple against LA

markmcf8, sacrxy and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I think of SLO as sort of the "center" of central coast, or prototypical central coast.

TyffaneeSue and Earthshaker repped this.
  6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sorry to bring geography into the discussion, but SLO is not on the coast. Don't you mean Morro Bay/Pismo Beach? ;)

markmcf8 repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Central Coast doesn’t mean that the city has to literally be on the ocean. 5-10 miles is close enough. And SLO County includes Morro and Pismo.

8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Coastal California includes everything within a few miles of the ocean. To me, the Bay Area is coastal even if most of us don't live walking distance from the Pacific.

markmcf8 and JazzyJ repped this.
  9. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much of the nation would argue that Fresno is on the coast. (They'd be wrong)

And for the record, officially Monterey Bay is actually the center of California if you fold the state in half. Population density obviously skews our commonly used terms definitions though.

TyffaneeSue and SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah the question was more about "usage" than geographical accuracy. You see references to "central coast" all over the place in places like SLO. IOW SLOites and surrounding areas like Morro and Pismo certainly consider themselves to be central coast. Not sure about Monterey but not Santa Cruz.

11. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, my response actually calls that out how geography and common terms are not the same. The geographical reference was just an aside, but it is relevant as the Bay Area often forgets there's anything above wine country still in CA. And Santa Cruz is included in Central Coast in most references. Wikipedia includes Santa Cruz County as one of the 6 Central Coast counties. If you do searches, you'll see Santa Cruz included in Central Coast things to do. When I lived there many moons ago it was a mixed bag on how people felt about it. Generally they didn't really feel they were Central, but at the same time they certainly weren't Bay Area or anything else.

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think Santa Cruzans consider that they’re their own unique thing, which I would endorse.

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Just to let fans know, Cade cannot get a Mexican passport and represent them through birthright. His mother was born in the USA and so was he. Mexico changed their citizenship requirements and you cannot get citizenship through grandparents. His grandfather is Mexican on his mother’s side. So he is only eligible to play internationally for the United States.

xbhaskarx and markmcf8 repped this.
  14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Those regulations are infinitely malleable when it comes to athletes, as has been shown time and time again...

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up and down on saturday against Austin. Had a couple clumsy turnovers but also put their backline under pressure with his pace and put a ball on a platter for Fierro who hit it straight at the keeper.

17. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He's drawing a crowd every time he touches the ball. Our opponents seem to rate him very highly - probably more so than Espinoza right now.

18. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    keeper had to stretch for that one. it was a good save. I wish Cade had taken the shot there, maybe he can’t hit a left footer, don’t know but he squandered his best chance pulling up and laying the ball off for Fierro.

19. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His left is certainly weak. It's much better than last year, but he's still not that confident with it. The shot would have been the best move (except if him dropping it back resulted in a goal. Then we'd all be saying how smart it was to not shoot.)

SalinasQuakesFan, SeaJayBee and Quakes05 repped this.
  20. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it looked like a decent shot from the live angle but on replay the keeper barely had to move. fierro should've hit it wider instead it was almost down the middle. I think cowell made the best decision since his layoff get fierro a better angle AND also a wide open shot with no defender forcing him to alter his angle. Fierro just choked.

21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS

hardly "down the middle"...Fierro might've placed the shot better but Cade has to get a shot off there imo, hopefully if he gets to a better team they can help him with finishing those chances once he makes a run like that.

davidjd repped this.
  22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, I thought continuing his run and taking a swing with his left would have been the best play there. He had a step on the last defender. I think he thought he could stop and line up the far post curler with his right, but the trailing defender completely cut that off.

23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I guess it's just too bad that he doesn't have the skill and physical gifts of, say, an Andy Rios, eh?

:ROFLMAO::devilish:

24. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odd comment at best. I thought we were talking about Cade and his decision on that play. Why are we looking for opportunities to take a shot at Rios?

JazzyJ repped this.
  25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Who is this "we" you refer to? I was specifically responding to someone not named "davidjd" who has been known to vociferously extoll the virtues of Rios that the hoi polloi are not intelligent or observant enough to discern....