The Official Cade Cowell thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 23, 2019.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #326 falvo, May 7, 2021
    Last edited: May 7, 2021

[​IMG]

USMNT Spotlight: Five uncapped MLS players to watch for Gold Cup

[​IMG]

2. Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes, 17).Cowell, who is eligible to play for the USA or Mexico, was the youngest player at the U-23 camp in January by a wide margin -- 15 months -- but didn't join the senior national team when it moved from Bradenton to Orlando for the friendly against Trinidad & Tobago. He said the camp make him realize how hard to needed to work and he set as a goal earning a starting spot with the Quakes. All he has done in the last two weeks is register a goal and an assist against FC Dallas (3-1 win) and goal and two assists against D.C. United (4-1 win), more than doubling his 2020 production (one goal and one assist in 17 games). San Jose coach Matias Almeyda doesn't want the Cowell band wagon to get moving too quickly. "He’s a humble player," said the Argentine. "Humble from his heart. He listens, he wants to learn, he asks questions. That makes me think he’s going to be a great player. But you have to understand this takes time.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to have to politely disagree with SA saying that Ochoa's performance against Costa Rica "more than made up for his gaffe in the deciding match against Honduras." o_O

3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely!! We could have afforded to lose the game against CR and still made the semi finals. Losing in the semis was not OK. And he had several near misses before that titanic screwup. He should have realized that he was having issues and passed the ball out much quicker.

No, his killer performance against CR did not make up for his lousy showing against Honduras.

Go Quakesfans!!
    GO USA!!

- Mark

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    While we are at it and back to the threadf, Cade should have defintely started for the U23's....

5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I’m glad he wasn’t selected. He would have been the youngest by far and there is no guarantee that he would have even seen the ball. On the other hand, he would have missed preseason with the team and likely not started games under Almeyda. No one played better in camp than Cade. The Olympic qualifiers didn’t do a lot of favors for Yuiell and I doubt they would have been beneficial for Cade.

6. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows, maybe it was his failure to make the Olympic squad that launched him to the next level of performance.

I really have my fingers crossed that all this week’s media attention doesn’t adversely affect his performance tonight.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    One game involving Yuiell was bad but the last one in which he scored a great goal was incredible!

I don't see how starting Cade will have hurt the team.

Unless they didn't want to risk him because of his young age.

If he is competing with all the older players in MLS though, I don't see how he would have had that much trouble with a bunch of Under 23 year old's....

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Physically, even for a 17 yr old, he is a match for his opponents, we will have to see how his mental game plays out.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #334 falvo, May 7, 2021
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Exactly and he is currently playing with and against Over 30's so I don't see how he will have played poorly against a bunch of 23 and under year old's.

Honduras starters weren't that much older...

1 ALEX BARRIOS age 23

5 CRISTOPHER MELÉNDEZ age 23

2 DENIL MALDONADO C age 22)

16 JOSÉ GARCÍA age 22

3 WESLY DECAS age 21

7 JOSÉ REYES age 23

14 JOSEPH ROSALES age 20

8 EDWIN RODRÍGUEZ age 21

13 LUIS PALMA age 21

10 RIGOBERTO RIVAS age 22

9 JUAN CARLOS OBREGÓN age 23

10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Nice write-up. Some things in there that I didn't know - the right back thing, his dad played football for SJSU, he almost quit soccer, etc.

I think they lied about Wondo winning the beep test at 38 though. I think TT has won it the last few years, and Wondo has been 2nd, but not totally sure. Regardless, the point stands - Wondo has incredible stamina.

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  11. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    I thought I saw him move to right back for about five minutes in a recent game. Did anyone else notice this as well?

12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
  14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    BCaso18, TyffaneeSue, markmcf8 and 3 others repped this.
  15. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw him deep on the right as well, but, seemed like a very short time, and just thought he was just tracking back to follow his mark.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Right, you're liable to see any Quakes player defending virtually anywhere in our own half. People are still not used to it after almost 3 years.

17. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    I'd like to think I know the difference between tracking a runner, and the *center forward* spending several minutes at right back. It was different than against SKC, where he was playing left wing and pinned deep having to track the right back. I'd have to watch the replay, I think it was the Seattle game.

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Cade went out at '65 against Seattle, and in the Portland game, Abecasis played the whole time, and Benji came in to play center forward. So most likely Cade went to outside mid. I can't imagine a scenario where Abecasis is not playing right back, or that he's switch with Cade Cowell into midfield. It wouldn't really make sense. When you need a goal, you want Abecasis on the wing hitting crosses and Cade closer to the goal where he can shoot.

19. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, I noticed it as well, but, it seemed like a very short time. I figured the opposing coach was just seeing how much he could pull Cowell out of his usual position, so sent one of his central players out to that side.

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah thats as nauseating as when Santa Cruz and Monterey is labelled as So Cal (even worse, I have heard locals justify that defense as such)

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Aargh! At some point it becomes "central coast", but Santa Cruz and Monterey are not "SoCal"!

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    San Luis Obispo is central coast. The next big city after that is Santa Barbara, which is clearly SoCal. Easy.

If you go inland, Bakersfield is around the same latitude as SLO, but I'm not sure SoCal wants to claim it.

In any case, Santa Cruz is just west of Santa Clara, so if it's "south" so is SCC, and that is definitely not happening!

23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The people in "The State of Jefferson" (all three of 'em) would opine that anything south of Marin is SoCal. It's all about perspective, I guess.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I looked at “definitions” of “central coast” and they had it going all the way from S.C. or Monterey to south of Ventura, which seems a bit too broad.