The Official Anibal Godoy thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Aug 6, 2015.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I doubt they will want to risk further injury and jeopardize that amount of cash. For this league, $650k is quite a big chunk of money. .

2. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    That Britishism was exactly what I used when my STH friends and I discussed the trade. We have him as coverage for the season. Judson is the defacto starter, but we have Godoy when tactics, injury, form, or rotation demand. And then we have Jungwirth and Felipe as double back up, though we don't have a good replacement for Jungwirth in his current position as "the fast, aggressive, pass-reading CB" in our Jungwirth+Kashia/Cummings setup.

Still. We have depth and coverage. Judson is just a loan, too, so we either need to buy him or replace him, though. But $650k? When we aren't struggling without him? Has to be done. Now we have a reasonable hope of getting Espinoza.

3. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I should have mentioned, though, that I have been really impressed with Godoy this season. I still think Judson needs to show he can maintain the level that Godoy has shown. I like Godoy, you don't notice what he brings until he is out: he just pushes guys off the ball, like a smaller, less aggressive frame can't do. But has enough speed to get around, like Cumming and Kashia can't do. In other words: a very serviceable defensive midfielder. I wish him all the best. And I don't think Nashville are crazy to get him, I hope their coach can get 75% of what Almeyda can get out of him (after all, the coach is only human).

tenfourteen repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But if Godoy is injured , he won’t be back this season regardless of how good he is. It’s obvious Almeyda , (if he stays) has someone else in mind for his position.

5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if they said the injury would only sideline him about 6 weeks? Which is about how long it has been.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah they might continue to claim he is injured in order not to play him. They may utilize him towards the end but I still don’t see them wanting to risk losing the $650k...

7. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's probably less worry about injury so much as it is Godoy no longer being in top shape because of the injury (unless your suggesting that Nashville has asked the Quakes not to play Godoy), he won't be on the team in 2020, and Judson has completely replaced him.

I can maybe see him making an appearance or two if the team makes it deep in the playoffs or something, but even then, I don't think it's especially likely.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Either way he is a lane duck. Professional or not, will he really give his all knowing he has to leave or will the coaching staff believe he will give his all? That can also be a factor in how much he plays.

9. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Twellman seems genuinely surprised that a team that has a decade of experience with the salary restrictions could end up on the better end of a trade with one that is new to the league. It seems painfully obvious that inexperienced teams are susceptible to overvaluing players already within MLS and not really understand the true value of allocation money.

10. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Godoy said he was three weeks away on Monday night. So plenty of season left. There is nothing at all to say Judson doesn't have a drop in form or a game where the matchup isn't good to Almeyda's eyes. Or where Accam fully stands on his ankle. We want Godoy available and I think we play him when Almeyda things he gives the best chance. Almeyda is out there trying to win.

11. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Right, which is why I think playoff appearances may be in the cards. We could certainly see more of him, and now that I think more about it, it would feel quite cold of Almeyda to give him no opportunities simply because he won't be with the team next year.

But of course, he has the whole team to think about and younger players that could use minutes to gain more experience, minutes that Godoy would otherwise likely take up were he not on his way out.

12. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Another way to look at it is that Godoy may see this season as his last chance for a championship. Going to Nashville is more likely to end up like Cincinnati than it is Atlanta and the team will be years away from being competitive. So he may be motivated to win now, while he has a shot!

Plus in a tight knit group he's playing for his 'brothers' rather than the team or the coach, or so I'm told.

Scott Rohde repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #388 falvo, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    It depends. San Jose was in worse shape than most expansion teams as they went from last 12 months ago and into the month of March and are now currently 5th in a 24 team league. I’m not saying it will be easy for Nashville as an expansion team in their first year but anything can happen as this league is strange.

14. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    As I was thinking about this more, I wonder if there isn't a little attempt to get Godoy to bring as much as he can of Almeyda's magic. Seriously. Get a guy who fits your needs, understands the system and the culture that was instilled. If I was Nashville, and I saw what just went down in Cincy, Atlanta, San Jose, and New England, I'd be working hardest on trying to get the team culture and coaching right. And I don't think that anyone thinks you can capture any of what Arena or Tata have without the coach themself on staff. But maybe Almeyda-ism is a little contagious?

15. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Quakes certainly seem to hope so given what they've done with Reno, but I can't say that I agree that you could pluck one of Almeyda's players and assume that he'll be able to impart all of what Almeyda's done in a new environment. Almeyda seems even more unique as a coach to me than Arena or Martino.

One way to look into this is how the teams that Almeyda's coached have played after he left. Have they maintained success? Have they continued to play in his style? Don't have time to look right now, but I'd bet they didn't (at least they probably didn't play the same way).

The coaching hire is such an important piece, and if Nashville fail there, they will very likely struggle on the field for some time. Godoy having played a little bit for Almeyda is not likely to be some magical element that helps the team play better.

In fact, that attitude seems to clash a bit with how Almeyda views the team. They all must work together, do what they are asked, and use their abilities for the betterment of the team overall. But individual is not tasked as an individual to carry the team by themselves, nor expected to.

So if Nashville is getting Godoy in hopes that he can help instill some of that sense, I think it's misguided, certainly. I think more realistically, Nashville doesn't have tons of experience getting players that are MLS level players, and they are relying upon "proven" talent and overpaying for it in the hopes that it will work out for them.

Godoy is certainly not a player I'd be paying 650k in allocation money for straight up when you could use that money to buy down the salary of a better player. Especially considering Godoy's record as an Earthquake, the only MLS team he's ever played for, is far from stellar.

16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I seem to recall talking about the "Bigger Fool" theory with respect to real estate prices on this board lately. Perhaps the same is at play here...

17. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not sure I follow. Are you suggesting that Nashville overpaid for Godoy with the expectation that they'll be able to profit off of a sale of him to another team later?

18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nope, I'm saying Nashville were the 'bigger fool'. ;)

19. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm being pedantic for the sake of it here so please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't see how the greater fool theory comes into play, then, unless you think San Jose overpaid for Godoy with the expectation they would sell him for a lot of money. They ended up paying him way more than that 650k over the course of his time here, so unless you consider Godoy's contributions to the Quakes to be a complete success, I guess I don't see how it applies.

Again, I'm really just digging into this for the sake of it and I imagine you weren't being overly serious with your comment. I think the Quakes made a good deal with Nashville for Godoy, but overall, I don't think we're going to think back all that fondly of his time here. The team was just so miserable the entire time until now, and the recent success of the team has actually very little to do with him.

20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That was a very well-structured, lucid post, Debbie!

[​IMG]

:D

21. TigersFIMA

TigersFIMA Member

Aug 27, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be at the Nashville SC game this weekend. Will be interesting to see if hear any Godoy-related conversation/what folks there think about the acquisition.

Should also get an Ockford sighting as read on their site that "new centerbacks Jimmy Ockford and Forrest Lasso have still yet to know the feeling of allowing a goal as the club recorded its fourth consecutive clean sheet and set a club record with 376 straight minutes without allowing a goal".

MtnGardener repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Whatever you do, don't mention the war. :)

Capt Andrew Luck.jpg

TigersFIMA repped this.
  23. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Go the MLS website and listen to the Nash GM gush about Godoy...you'd think he was talking about the next Riquelme...haha...there's a sucker born every minute.

I doubt they'll be able to get him to play anywhere near his potential without a coach with Almeyda's cred and presence...this was an outrageous coup for us.

24. TigersFIMA

TigersFIMA Member

Aug 27, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely, but what does Andrew Luck have to do with The War Between the States? ;)

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

LongTimeQuakesFan'74 repped this.