The Official Anibal Godoy thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Aug 6, 2015.

1. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/04/13/armchair-analyst-your-complete-guide-week-7-mls-slate

San Jose Earthquakes vs. Houston Dynamo
    10:30 pm ET | Match preview | TV & streaming info

I think I'm going to do a deep dive on the Quakes after this weekend. They're a team who I thought would be better than they have been – they have talent at every stop from front to back, they're capable of playing some attractive soccer (as Magnus Eriksson's goal last weekend showed), and their results haven't been bad.

But they also haven't been good, and that's why Mikael Stahre is talking about making some lineup changes. The big issue for me has been in central midfield, where Florian Jungwirth has been meh and Anibal Godoy has been actively bad. We're getting deep into the weeds here, but let me link you to the Expected Goal Chain page on AmericanSoccerAnalysis. Toy around with it a bit and you'll see that, in terms of measurable contribution to the attack, Godoy ranks below pretty much all of the league's starting midfielders and most of the league's starting center backs.

He does not, and has not moved the ball well. In this case the eye test matches the underlying numbers that the nerds have cobbled together.

Same, to be honest, with Houston. The eye test says they've played well, but 1) they can't defend on the break because they're slow at the back, and 2) they can't finish. And lo-and-behold, nobody's given up more fastbreak goals and nobody's squandered more big chances.

2. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Based on this, I would expect more kick and run from San Jose. So long as Wondolowski doesn't grind the attack to a halt, the Quakes might be able to take advantage of an ill equipped Houston team. Vako, Eriksson, and Hoesen all seem like players who can move the ball quickly when give the opportunity. Of course, this means the Quakes will have to bypass Godoy at all costs.

3. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #303 chris thebassplayer, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Congrats to Godoy and Cummings for making the final Panama WC roster...pretty big deal.

alexiskool1991 and don gagliardi repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    At least it puts the Earthquakes on the global map for another WC tournament.

5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last World Cup that really worked out well for us.
    [​IMG]

6. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I mean, if Godoy plays like he did for San Jose, Panama is going to have a rude awakening. Given how god awful he's been, I'm honestly surprised he made the final squad. I wouldn't even let him in the stadium as a spectator at this point.

7. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he pulls a moussa sissoko and has a great tournament and we get a bunch of over-inflated offers for him.

jetdog9, bsman and markmcf8 repped this.
  8. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think he could play with a pulled moussa sissoko? I pulled mine once and was out for a month.

9. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been better this season for sure. I still don't love how single-footed he is, but there have been less arms/hands to the face and less senseless cards this season.

Rumors have started that Liga MX teams are interested in him, including UNAM Pumas and maybe Santos...

10. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha, beat me to it. I saw the same thing.
    https://translate.google.com/transl...Gabriel-Torres-20190530-0003.html&prev=search

11. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has surprised me by fitting in well with Almeyda's system. He's not going anywhere until after this season is over. No way do we sell him in the summer.

12. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wouldn't say that there's no way they sell him. It would depend on his contract status (couldn't find specifics on how long he was re-signed for most recently beyond it being multi-year), whether or not they are planning the team around him being with them, and whether or not they value his play more than whatever offers they might get for him. They've certainly relied on him a lot, even when the team was performing really poorly, so it would seem they rate him highly.

But if the guy could potentially walk away at the end of the season and you expect that he will, then it probably isn't in your best interest to let him do that, unless of course, you think he's going to help you win in the very short term to the tune of an MLS Cup appearance.

I have really mixed feelings about Godoy's play, so I would have equally mixed feelings about him being sold or traded.

13. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's telling that no one posted on his thread for a year!

He's not as big a hothead as he was, but the team can do better.

NedZ repped this.
  14. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a "hot head" because they were losing in the past. Amazing what winning changes...

Yes, we can do better....at every position...

15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He still gets angry and makes stupid fouls. Just not as often.

NedZ and don gagliardi repped this.
  16. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfermarkt says he is under contract with us through 12/31/2020

If we want to sell him we could still get value for him in the off season. No reason to do it in the summer if he's playing well at the moment.

17. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ah, you managed to find it. I looked there, but did so hastily, and clearly didn't see it. Thanks for that. Yeah, if he's under contract through the 2020 season, then I would bet any offers for him would have to be pretty substantial for the Quakes to part with him before the offseason, as you say.

That makes sense. Barring injury, Godoy's stock should continue to rise under Almeyda.

18. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    davez and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Speaking Spanish as opposed to Swedish I’m sure will make Godoy better.

20. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? Erikkson seems to be doing alright and he doesn't speak Spanish.

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #321 falvo, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    They are two completely different types of players who play opposite positions. One if a forward and one is a midfielder.

Almeyda also played in Europe for 9 years and he has seen many players like Erikkson. Its more than obvious he knows how to utilize him and he is responding beautifully to the current coaching tactics as opposed to Stahre's.

As for Godoy, of course a Latin -American player will play better with a Latin or Latino style Spanish speaking coach. That has been going on for as long as I remember.

22. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That all depends on what the Quakes could get out of it.

23. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pumas isn't known as a big spender.

24. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

25. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A sports hernia. He may be out the rest of the season.