The Official Anibal Godoy thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Aug 6, 2015.

1. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Evidently the FO believes Stahre has enough cred and cojones to make Godoy actually follow coaching directives... aka, play with positional discipline and not verbally eviscerate the youngsters on the field. I'll believe it when I see it.

The only hope it might work is if they play him in front of Flo or he shares the middle with Ceren.

Looks like an oil and water combination if we try to play him with Yueill or Tommy.

I'll be watching the Stahre/Godoy relationship closely...potential titanic battle between two strong willed personalities.

2. Ultan

Ultan Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Pacifica
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not being a dick, but is the coverage on sjearthquakes.com completely over the top? I'm probably his biggest fan, and even I'm not that bothered.

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    The social media marketing team is working hard - I will give them that. A "season review" for Francois Affolter? A lot of content for Muma leaving also. SkyLounge is showing up all over the place.

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You forgot the elves on shelves. :)

bobby_guzman, DotMPP and JazzyJ repped this.
  5. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should have made the new contract incentive based, an extra x dollars per completed pass with his right foot.

6. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No no no.

We can't trust godoy and ceren to play next to each other. Neither of them is responsible enough to play as the #6 cdm. They both turn the ball over too much and fail to track runners.

If we are going with godoy we should trade ceren and try to get a quality cb so we can move flo up to cdm or get another cdm.

DotMPP and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  7. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ceren and Godoy together were better than either of them playing with anyone else, unfortunately. That's really the crux of the problem. Together they are better than separate, and them together wasn't anything to write home about most of the time anyway. So prepare for a disappointing season, basically.

SJTillIDie repped this.
  8. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was chilling at VF this afternoon and saw Godoy and fam walking through. Guy is quite a bit taller and more muscular up close than he is when I saw him on the field.

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    VF = Valley Fair? How does one "chill" there during holiday season? I avoid it like the plague.

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Valley Forge.

[​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

11. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not crazy about resigning Godoy. Actually, I thought he would be one of the first guys we'd move...doesn't make any sense at all to me.

They must be banking on seeing the best Godoy possible. Frustrating because we only saw that for a few games last season...FO is expecting a complete 180.

I'd prefer to rebuild the midfield starting with Flo as the Dmid

SJTillIDie repped this.
  12. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty easy when you're a window-shopaholic like me. Between my lady and me, I'm the worse offender LOL. Plus, since I frequent VF so often I know where to find parking generally quickly. For example, today it only took me 5 minutes from the time I take that left turn from Forest into the luxo wing of VF to find parking.

And I love crowded places, so places like VF is never a deterrent for me. In fact, I want even more of VF/SR places to go in SJ. We really need more crowded, happening, thriving nodes of entertainment in this City.

I cannot wait for the VF expansion to finish. It's going to be spectacular and I plan to be there within the first 2 weeks to take it all in :)

13. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What VF expansion? I haven’t been to valley fair since about 2014 when they had a Doob kiosk

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's in the process of getting a face lift so it can compete in trendiness with its Santana Row neighbor.

Wish they would revive the original signage:

valley fair old sign.jpg

DotMPP, mjlee22 and Goodsport repped this.
  15. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I never lived the 1950's. But that pic sure makes me want to go back in time. NOT.

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    A lot less people, no traffic, affordable housing, beautiful orchards everywhere, I'm sure it was a real drag.

Valley Fair had "carnival rides" on the roof at one point - in the 60's I guess. Come on, how cool is that?

[​IMG]

Goodsport, DotMPP and don gagliardi repped this.
  17. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anilbal has been way off this season. His positioning is suspect, his reading of the game is suspect. Heck, his fitness is suspect.

Don't know what's happened to him, but he's not nearly as good as he was previously.

He needs to be benched. Which might light a fire under him.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  19. Trudge

Trudge Member

Feb 28, 2017
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Agree, he's been crap. He and Salinas are clearly weak links on the field in every game.

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Reading between the lines, you can tell that Stahre is not super enamored with Godoy's performance so far:

“Godoy, for me is not just a typical No. 6 for me,” Stahre said. “He’s like a No. 8, more box-to-box. I think he has performed well so far, but I think both him and me, we expect even more.”

Also all the comments about Godoy wanting to get to the 18 and be box to box, it explains why partnerships like Godoy - Jackson don't work as well. Godoy doesn't want to be the #6 - he wants to be the #8. So if it's Jackson / Godoy, it's two guys trying to be #8's, and central defensive midfield becomes a "soft underbelly".

21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm just hoping him saying that Godoy has played well so far is just lip service to the press because it is obviously no true. Though, you'd never know Stahre had questions based on the fact that Godoy's played every minute of every game so far. Time for Stahre to start putting his money where is mouth is and make a genuine change to maximize either Godoy's talents or take him off the field for a player who will perform the way he expects.

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think the "performed well" statement is just so that it's not a purely a criticism - to kind of set a comfortable baseline. You start with that statement - it doesn't mean much, but what comes after is basically "we expect more". And that's where the real opinion comes through.

MtnGardener and chris thebassplayer repped this.
  23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope you're right.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

24. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Godoy is subtly on the clock with Stahre. Everything else said is just happy talk to minimize the risk of creating an early toxic situation. We're still in the team building phase...giving everyone , especially vets, their due to prove their capabilities. We'll see where Stahre is at with Godoy in another 3-4 games. I think there are about 7-8 games before he would potentially leave if selected for the WC...pretty good chance of that happening. I really want to see what the midfield looks like without him. Imo, we'll see it turnaround...preferably with 3 central mids and wingbacks.

I thought the timing of the Quakes' Godoy piece was interesting...seemed to be overly compensating...a gushing confidence booster from the team.

SJTillIDie repped this.
  25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, and if things go well with Godoy out, he may find himself out of the starting lineup. Based on what he's done so far with sub patterns, etc., I'm afraid Stahre's Godoy-out CM will be Alashe-Flo. I'd rather see someone else get a chance, and have Alashe be Flo's backup.