The official Andrew Tarbell thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jan 14, 2016.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, we love our Gen Ad contracts, and we clearly have no respect for the draft or the players that come out of it. We dont take development of young players seriously, and we will continue to be cheap. Im done paying attention to it unless we are bottom of the pile. Quite literally the most secure position on the roster.

Beerking, xbhaskarx and bsman repped this.
  2. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think GA was the main reason. I think it was just a reason. I didn't watch the Simon Dawkins press conference, but people say Dom said they'd draft best available. If that's what he said, it's appears to be what they did. Maybe it'll end up to have an upside beyond screwing over the Sporks. If it's true DCUs keeper is out, then maybe we can loan him out--he plays and develops, it doesn't harm us since they're in a different conference and we get something from DCU--don't know what--but still end up with our player. Or maybe they really do believe Bingham will we the Copa American bench warmer and we need a capable back up.
    I don't think it's a reach to think Tarbell was best available when we drafted him. So in that sense, it's not perhaps as strange as it seemed right at the moment it happened.

evade6317 repped this.
  3. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The overreaction is strong. Bingham is already in the national team picture, and may miss games this year if called up again. Furthermore, if Bingham performs on that stage, his stock may rise and the pull to somewhere else may be strong. Third, this new guy has stock within MLS, so perhaps we leverage that.

Bingham was our depth the last few years, now he needs depth behind him. Why is this bad?

4. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two ways I can twist it into bad instead of just surprising. One would be if McCrary isn't injury prone and becomes a solid starter and we don't end up actually needing a keeper beyond Bingham before JTM is thru his college career and done his "depth years" behind Bingham.
    The other would be if the price wasn't actually that steep to move from 8 to 4. (But my guess is it was.)

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In 2012, the Washington Redskins mortgaged their future, sending three first round draft picks to the then-St. Louis Rams to draft Robert Griffin III as their franchise quarterback. Nevertheless, they also drafted another quarterback in the fourth round, Kirk Cousins. Fast forward three seasons and Cousins is the franchise guy and RGIII is on his way out the door. Moral: no harm in stocking up on quality where it counts.

Laxed, lurking, evade6317 and 2 others repped this.
  6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well Im hoping for the best, but you guys remember Andre Blake and Alex Bono??? One was a first overall pick and the other was picked at 5 and a cant miss prospect. Blake is no longer with the team and Bono is Toronto's number 3.

7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I thought that the 2nd GK guy last year was not bad - Meredith. But Tim Hanley must have felt that "Tarball" has a higher ceiling. I'm kind of warming up to the pick. It's just that I don't care about GK's that much. I mean they are really important but I like offense :--).

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ....or sticky hands at least.

Mr. Bandwagon repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually Andre Blake is still with Philly and is now their #1 goalkeeper. Maybe you're thinking of Zac MacMath? The Mathlete was the Bingham equivalent in Philly's GK situation, the young starting goalkeeper who sees his club use a high draft pick on another goalkeeper... he's now the backup to Clint Irwin in Colorado.

I'm not even sure Alex Bono would be TFC's #3 goalkeeper if he wasn't signed to a GA deal... word is he was pretty lousy in USL last season. Crazy thing is this time last year he was in Klinsmann's January camp (he ended up not even making the the U-23 Olympic qualifying roster).

10. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Jun 27, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all fairness, Bingham has room to improve and bringing in legit competition can only be a good thing.

This reminds me of having Jon Busch backing up Joe Cannon.

11. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    But as Charles Barkley would say "What if he's Tar-i-bell?"

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah MacMath sorry I mixed that up, my bad. Not sure how I managed that, was thinking one name and typed the other. It would have been nice to have depth at outside back like McCrary though, but.....it is what it is at this point. I fully expect us to take another keeper in next year's draft

13. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doyle was just confused by Kaval's comment that this draft for the team needed to produce someone who was going to be a keeper.

bigdumbgod, Beerking, due time and 4 others repped this.
  15. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Kinnear is not entirely satisfied with Bingham. Remember the Montreal game among others.

Management is always looking to replace a (fairly) high paid player with a cheaper one.

If Tarbell proves that he is a MLS starting level goalkeeper, the Quakes will try to sell or trade Bingham.

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Shouldn't this guy be loaned out to get experience and playing time like Bingham did at Austin? Maybe after the Copa America?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsman repped this.
  17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think thatd be a swell idea after the copa if someone takes him on in. If Bingham is away, hes a Meredith injury/red car away from starting

18. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Bingham go his first year or not until later. It might be that he isn't loaned in his first season because of the "we want Hanley to the one developing him" thing.

19. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unconscionable. Quakes keep Bingham on the bench while Tarbell plays with a sports hernia.

20. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Shows how dedicated the team was to reducing Bingham's negotiating power as much as possible. Hopefully there are no longer term consequences for Tarbell. Pretty rough to be used as a pawn against a teammate.

bsman repped this.
  21. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

OTOH, if Tarbell was stupid enough to risk his playing health and longevity this way, then maybe he deserves a shortened career.

22. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How long did Betia play before he had his off season surgery for his sports hernia?

23. John Jussen

John Jussen Member

May 21, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not sure, but my hernia surgery took about six weeks to heal last year.

24. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Let's see off the top off my head players who had played with injury then had surgery right after the season, The mentioned Beita, Wondo(foot). Lehnhart(knee), Meredeth(abdominal strain) and I'm sure there have been others. To try to play it so that it fits your narrative of how the Bingham situation has developed is wrong to do.

25. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we will probably never know exactly what was going on with Bings.....his confidence was shot when he came back from the USMNT, who knows maybe he was playing poorly in practice and/or had an attitude issue......or maybe it was just the FO playing hardball......it's like an X-Files case, we will never know the real answer.....