The Official Andres Rios thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by jetdog9, Jul 30, 2019.

1. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A great way to open the MLS scoring account. Needs 154 to tie the Captain.

falvo and bsman repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    QuakeAttack, falvo and Beckham7 repped this.
  3. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This looks several of the goals in his highlight real that was posted before we finalized the deal with him to be a Quakes.

Forgot to mention in my game summary that it was nice assist from Eriksson.

Scott Rohde repped this.
  4. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy Rios? What's up with Andy?

Does the guy really want to be called Andy? Is that a common name/nickname in Argentina?

5. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I remember he asked to have his shirt labelled as Andy Rios.

FUAEG repped this.
  6. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I googled "Andy Argentina" . Looks like Andy in Argentina isn't uncommon. Surprised me. Makes me think of Mayberry not Buenos Aires.

7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You must be a casual football fan, because pretty much every ********ing body in football has their named shortened to _____y as their soccer nickname. The only people who call me Bobby are my older relatives and the soccer community...

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Didn't David Cassidy call you Bobby? :)

tiger beat.jpg

9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That helped make middle school a nightmare...

Quakes05 repped this.
  10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Middle school is a nightmare by its very nature. :)

Quakes05 and bsman repped this.
  11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from the mls website (6/29/20)......article about where each team stands with their No. 9.

Andres Rios – San Jose Earthquakes
    • Team Commitment Level: Sporadic
    • Expectation Level: Effort

I was as shocked as anyone to see Rios, the 30-year-old journeyman Argentine attacker, start the first two games of the year for the Quakes at center forward. He was a non-entity down the stretch during last year's stunning collapse, and he doesn't have the resume of a starter at this point. It didn't make much sense.

To be fair to Rios, he did score once in those two starts, and he now has two goals in 443 minutes of MLS action – a scoring rate roughly in line with his productivity at his other eight stops (including legitimately big clubs like Club America and River Plate, which happens to be where he first played for Matias Almeyda).

But after the first two games of 2020, a major shake-up to San Jose's XI could await. Everybody's job is at stake (or should be), including at center forward.

Other Options: Wondo's still there. I get not wanting to start a 37-year-old, but the man had 15g in 2000 minutes last year and was the only player on the team who could put the ball in the net after July.

Third on the depth chart is veteran Dutchman Danny Hoesen, who always looks like he's on the verge of breaking out but has never really put it all together. He started the first two games of the season at ... left wing. Really weird.

13. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    https://quakesepicenter.com/2020/10/16/where-andy-rios-goes-the-quakes-follow/

NEW ARTICLE: One of Matías Almedya's recent changes that have worked has been changing Andy Ríos' role. Like him or not, if you enjoyed Asher Kohn's deep analysis of Magnus Eriksson, you'll enjoy this unpacking of the multi-faceted Ríos. Now for patrons!

[​IMG]
    Where Andy Ríos goes, the Quakes follow - Quakes Epicenter
    As Andy Ríos goes, so go the Quakes? Well, in the recent resurgence of the team he's been a bigger part than most fans have been able to notice. Beyond the goals, Ríos is proving to be a key piece of...
    quakesepicenter.com

SeaJayBee repped this.
  14. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thanks for sharing. I am one of those who got really frustrated with Rios as striker (and the earlier version of Magnus on the right). They didn't fit what we typically expected and were not very effective also. They both took some time to grow into the new role - behind the point of attack and performing the switch. Rios has become more active and effective in this new role just as Magnus did. This coincides with a few tweaks to the line up and strategy.

Now Magnus was a Stahre's guy and he was not efficient in a role Stahre assigned him. He was repurposed by MA in the middle. Rios is MA's guy. Did he originally intend to play him as the point of attack like Wondo? Or Rios was always supposed to be the offensive switch?

I want to know if this is yet another player repurposed. Yes, it is good to find a new position for a player to be efficient and the player's flexibility is appreciated. However, my question is why we always have to repurpose players? (Flo may be a bit different but he is another one) It may suggest that either our assessment of the player and our need before acquisition is not accurate , or we just get whoever is available and affordable and hope to just make it work some how?

15. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    I think this is correct. We have so many holes on the pitch that anyone that is good gets a shot, we also have a bunch of players that are not standing out in a single position so they lose that spot or move somewhere else to play since they don't really excel.

16. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Rios has always been Rios. I don't really buy the narrative that he didn't become effective until he assumed more of a CAM role. He's always been really good with his possessions. Good decisions, doesn't lose the ball, good passes. It's just that people are now suddenly catching on to it.

He didn't really score enough to be the single forward, but that doesn't mean he didn't help the team with his possessions, even as the single forward. I guess moving him back we can leverage his skill in combination / holding / switching play a bit better, and we don't have to rely on him scoring, because he's not a big scoring guy. But he's always been a reasonably effective player for the Quakes despite all of the hang-wringing about him on this forum. Not sure he's worth a TAM kind of salary, but he hasn't been grossly underperforming at that level.

SeaJayBee and podrinje repped this.
  17. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    I fully believe that if we had quicker forward in place of Wondo that could stretch defenses then that would open up a lot more room in front of Rios and thus lead to a lot more scoring chances for him as well.

markmcf8, QuakeAttack and JazzyJ repped this.
  18. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really care about him not scoring goals or being an effective possession player. What I care about is that he doesn't care and doesn't try. He is a lazy prima donna and a quitter and doesn't put in work during his minutes. I want him out of here. He is not a "bushido code" player.

19. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also on the last page: MLS newcomer of the year Lucas Zelarayan who just led the Crew to MLS Cup and pretty much singlehandedly won the game with 2 goals and an assist... if only Andy Rios was more like him!

Quakes05 and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  21. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  22. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst player in MLS

23. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't thin Rios is as slow and bad as some here make him out to be, nor as useful as Jazzy sees him. Just another middlin' Quakes player.

tectonicnight and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

25. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    He's slow, but he's not bad. I just reject that wildly negative views of him. He's slow, he blows a lot of chances, but otherwise his quality on the ball is very good. So I guess I also come out somewhere on the middle with him, on balance.