The Official Amahl Pellegrino thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 9, 2024.

1. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #76 chris thebassplayer, Mar 8, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
    Ugh, first of all, I don't hate Jebo. He's a very solid dude. I don't enjoy watching him play as our 9.

The stat thing with Jebo is misleading. I'm not anti-stats... for 30 years my day job was lab science related. I know the value of stats and also the shortcomings. when I see Jebo drop into midfield, it ultimately doesn't get a lot done. he'll connect some 5 yard passes but I tend to think when I see it is he's redundant, almost to the point of congesting the situation....and then the void up top...I just see him gumming up the process. The Stats look flowery, but when you see the build up situation and outcome, it's just meh. His passing game isn't accurate or sharp enough to drop into midfield...the progressive passes are generally pretty safe flat kick outs to the wings...not seam splitting proactive stuff. And he's too loose with the ball in traffic. It will never happen here, but Savarese had it right...he played him at left wing and used his solid left boot to cross the ball into the box and run the wing and left channel. The whole selling point for bringing him to SJ was the allure of getting to play the 9...and we seem completely locked into him playing the 9 regardless of performance.

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Of course the "hate" is not personal - it's about the way he plays.

He connects a lot more than just 5 yard passes, often longer passes out to the wing, which is why his progressive passes #'s are high (progressive pass = 10 yards or more downfield). I am suggesting not "locking hin into" playing the 9. This is a little different role but not hugely different from his tendencies anyway. There would be less "congestion" if there's no other 3rd midfielder trying to do the same thing.

3. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland played him the same way we did as their point man. Jebo just isn't good enough.

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that tap in off of a save by the goalie was world class. :rolleyes:

Beerking and JazzyJ repped this.
  5. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Who said anything about his goal being world class? :rolleyes: Still counts, and he was the only Quakes player to score in Dallas. And, he was also the only Quakes player to score vs Portland and Charlotte, in preseason games.

That was enough to earn him the start vs LAG, imo. I would've rather seen Pellegrino as a second half sub.

And, after watching Pellegrino last week, I'd rather see Benji starting tonight. Bring Pellegrino on as a sub at some point, depending on how Benji does.

markmcf8, vamanoshasta and don gagliardi repped this.
  6. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Against Austin, Pellegrino's positioning and shots looked like those in his highlight reel. His goal and his shot that was saved by the Austin keeper came very close to becoming a game-wining brace. I have to think that if he had not been injured for several games, the Quakes would be further up the table.

markmcf8 and Seismothusiast repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah it was nice to see the form we saw in the highlights. He is so smooth. It’s like he’s barely trying and the ball’s in the net. My only concern is that he seems to be a one trick pony. Every shot is a far post curler. At some point very soon keepers are going to be laying for it. Does he ever turn and shoot near post?

8. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Pelle says he is good friends with Glesnes from Philly and watched a lot of his games, and his connection with the Quakes is thru a guy in the training staff that he knew from Bødo.

mjlee22 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  10. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that we have our own “Pelle” now.

11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland played him at the 9 for a while, but it didn't work, so they moved him to wing, sometimes left, sometimes right. He did not flourish there.

Go Quakesfans!!

12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    IIRC, he wasn't happy with it and wants to play only as the 9. Two goals in seven games isn't very productive - hopefully those stats improve...

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Jebo barely played in one game and was a 70-minute or so sub in another (and scored in that one). So it’s more like 2 goals on 5 and 1/2 games, which is not bad. But I still want to see him play behind either Judd or Pellegrino in a 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 setup. He drops back so deep into midfield why not acknowledge / embrace that and play a 9 in front of him? Luchi did it in KC and it looked good IMO.

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bet this guy isnt even on the team in 2026

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    A pretty good bet. I think his contract goes to 2025, and then he'll be 35 and I think we'll be ready to move on.

Boysinblue and xbhaskarx repped this.
  17. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not endeared himself to me. He does one thing pretty well but he's not doing it well enough.

Still better than Cade though.

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He's gotta let that far post curler go. I mean there's a time and place for it, but he's trying it every time and blowing chances as a result. That play against Cinci was a classic example. He's in alone on the keeper and has a chance to continue his momentum and shoot, but instead he stops and tries to cut back to his right foot for patented right foot curler, and by then 1) the defender has arrived on his right, opportunity gone, and 2) he's slipped and is lucky not to have torn a hammie. :facepalm

It reminds me of the time when I was playing basketball in a game in middle school and I stole the ball and went on a breakway, and instead of shooting a layup like any reasonable player would do, for some reason I went to a spot I like about 20 feet from the basket on the side. Soon after that I didn't start games any more and barely played.

mjlee22 repped this.
  19. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think he has 5 goals so far (?) and thus is on track for 10 even in this poor year. If you said at the beginning of the season we would replace Cade with a guy who will contribute 10 goals I think everyone would have been very happy with that. Of course, the year isn't over yet, but keep that in mind.

20. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My new nickname for him. Slenderman.:)

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I've been cautiously optimistic about him all year. I felt that if we played to his strengths he could help us. And I think he has. It's just a little frustrating that although he's scoring goals I feel like he could be scoring even a lot more. He could have 10 by now if he'd stop trying to play that far post curler every time he's in the box with the ball (save the couple of breakaway goals).

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My guest last Saturday: “That boy needs a sandwich.” :)

TyffaneeSue and mjlee22 repped this.
  23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Slim Pickings?

Earthshaker repped this.
  24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Pellegrino may be about the skinniest soccer player in the history of the game but the fact that he’s so light and tall (6’3”) means that he can still, at 34 now, blow past defenses once he gets his gazelle-like strides going. As Luchi said about him, a week or two after he arrived in camp, “He’s different.”

25. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wrong. I posted after his arrival that he has similar height/weight ratios as Peter Crouch.