The Official Alfredo Morales thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 4, 2024.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Solid. First team culture. :)

Kelce shouting.jpeg

Quakes05 and JazzyJ repped this.
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #77 JazzyJ, Feb 20, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
    Yeah, I feel like the piece we're missing is that sort of early to mid-20's good quality player that's still on the rise. We've got this group of 17-18 year olds, but I think it will take 5 years for them to reach close to their peak. So like I said, if you're targeting 2026, the timing doesn't seem quite right. Then we have veteran stopgaps like Morales, Pellegrino, and Akapo. As far as I know we have not one, not two, but three U22 slots open. We should be looking to use them over the next year or so. We are just a little hollowed out in the lower middle right now in terms of age / career trajectory - we've got aging veterans, we've got youth prospects but not a lot in the middle*, but there's potential to make it a little better with the U22 slots.

* We do have a group of players that are more like mid to late 20's that are pretty good in general: Rodrigues, Espinoza, Yueill, Gruezo, Marie, Jebo, etc. But by 2026 they are pushing 30. Those have to be your veterans in 2026, and there should be younger players pushing them for minutes by 2026.

Quakes05 repped this.
  3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I’m not sold at all on youth development SJ style as a path to success here.

But 2026 was Leitch’s pledge to us. He actually said that he fully expected for us to win silverware before then but by 2026 at the latest.

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  4. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    The youth development should be part of the plan and will bear some fruit but can't be all of it, or even nearly all of it. We need a mix - Quakes academy youth, veterans, and high quality mid-career players. It's the high quality mid-career players that we're going to be short on in 2026 if we don't start addressing it.

Quakes05 repped this.
  5. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Yep, it’s hard to see any method to what Leitch is doing these days, not if he’s serious about his 2026 commitment to our fans.

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    There's still time to do it. An impact DP CAM who's not too old and might still be the guy in 2026 + let's say some good U22 signings and we might be in reasonable shape. But...work to do.

markmcf8 and Quakes05 repped this.
  7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How old will Pellegrino be in 2026?

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #83 JazzyJ, Feb 21, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
    I wrote a better version of that post above, which I meant to delete, in the preseason thread. That post addresses Pellegrino’s age if you can’t do the math.

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I was 33 again!

11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If Leitch wants to emulate the first Quakes dynasty we must understand that it requires us to go from worst to first in 2026, so obviously we need to tank 24 and 25!

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States