The Official 2023 Korea National Team Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Dec 31, 2022.

1. kimchipride

kimchipride Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Aug 22, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My mom just told me Ki Sung Yueng is gay and left his wife and kids to live with a man in England???

Do I need to drug test my mom, is she receiving fake news, or does this have any substance to it at all?

seolseol repped this.
  2. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Source??? YouTube???

3. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [​IMG]

Herzog, Stringala, Kopke, Leuthard finally arrived. Aside from Stringala, I believe this is the best coaching staff we have since the Hiddink era considering both Kopke and Leuthard are Germany's top coaches?

Testator repped this.
  4. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    Koepke and Herzog have had notable playing careers. Leuthard us a solid fitness coach. I do wonder who is in charge of tactics?

5. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Herzog is the tactician.

6. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    An article that I just ran into says he focuses on offensive players and tactics. I suppose that will be popular if it works well.

7. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yes, Herzog is an offensive/attacking oriented coach, and during his time with the usmnt, the team played decently up until his departure.

He'll be keeping tabs on Sonny as well as our EPAs, hopefully gets a rough idea on how he'll mold the team in the best fitting way possible. But, as I have mentioned before, I also do hope that Klinsmann learned a lot about tactics during his time at Fifa's TSG particularly from the likes of Wenger and Zaccheroni. After all, he's stated that he's been constantly learning within the realms of football so hopefully he'll be able to prove that on the pitch.

Testator repped this.
  8. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    I hope that, despite the likely focus on offensive tactics, Herzog and Klinsmann will be able to find a CDM of a good standard.

9. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Time to replace Jung Woo-young with Son Jun-ho and time for Paik Seung-ho to start stepping up.

Testator repped this.
  10. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    Son Jun-ho seems closer to what KNT needs at the CDM spot. Or perhaps try Cho Yu-min there? He is listed as being capable of playing CDM.

11. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Looks so old compared to the Bento team

12. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Am I the only one who's worried about the match against Uruguay? I won't be surprised if they play dirty against us.. especially Valverde

13. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Bento's coaching staff was by far the youngest we've had out of Europe, but I can't complain about Koepke and Leuthard being our coaching staff, both are top names and Herzog did a decent job with the usmnt as well.

Perhaps it's just you, but I'm not too worried about Uru. Uruguay is bringing their B-team since 4 of their main starters Cavani, Godin, Gimenez, and Muslera are banned due to the shit-show they caused during the Ghana game at the WC last year, plus Nunez is overrated so I hope he chokes again. Not to mention no Suarez as well, I think he gave up playing for the national team after the poor WC performance.

14. dougdimmadome

dougdimmadome Member

Nov 16, 2021
    Korea hasn't ever done anything of significance in football either, we aren't gonna bring in a serial winner, especially when our wages pale in comparison

15. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We have no room for failure in that regard.
    We can't just rely on CMK's pocket money any longer to hire a foreign manager with notable track record.

16. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    Perhaps KMJ tearing up the football world with Napoli will elevate Korean NT in terms of big managerial names wanting to come.

17. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    True

18. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Haha nope. Again, there's 0 reason for any top managers to come to Korea unless they are in a miserable situation where they need to redeem themselves.

Bluewings21 and dougdimmadome repped this.
  19. dougdimmadome

dougdimmadome Member

Nov 16, 2021
    Agree. Cases like CQ going to Iran to manage, or Hiddink at Korea, are rarities. Even top 20 FIFA teams get noname coaches. Like who the ******** is Southgate. There's also more $ in club football

LeeSeungWoo repped this.
  20. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Nunez withdraws from the squad due to injury.

21. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    There's always someone who needs to redeem himself. Decent managers get sacked on a daily basis, sometimes unfairly.

Seol Korea, 12th Player and Tazza repped this.
  22. Tazza

Tazza Member

Nov 2, 2010
    This. I think the reason people got mad about the Klinsmann hire was more because no one believed the KFA went through a well thought-out process on finding a decent manager.

Fans have gotten smarter and know someone like Rafa is going to be difficult to get. We'll accept a lesser-known name if we believe their tactics will be a good fit. Even if they've had previous failures, fans will accept it if there were extentuating circumstances (which is stuff the KFA should be explaining in press conferences).

But here it feels like JMG felt pressured to hire a "big" name after getting dissed by the president, and so the FA went with Klinsmann without any due dilligence.

I'm less concerned about Klinsmann now because his staff looks pretty good, but it was more the process that's concerning. We'll still probably have ridiculous qualification requirements like being able to speak English or CMK will just hire someone on his own after 2026

the rainmaker and Bluewings21 repped this.
  23. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    And decent managers have no problem with finding a new job at a decent club/European team with wayyyyyyy higher salary. If they fail many many times over and over again for many years and they are not wanted in Europe anymore, I dont consider them "decent". And that's when they need to go even further by taking a job in Asia to redeem themselves.

24. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Agreed. Even if we end up winning the World Cup in 2026 (just saying.... don't get this too serious ;)), the whole process that had been in place to hire Jurgen and his staffs should not be forgotten.

Tazza repped this.
  25. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It also didn't help the fact that Muller avoided all of the critical questions only for Klinsmann to basically have the fans remain rest assured for the time being. Fans' expectations have gotten even bigger over the years, so they believe we should be acquiring someone of a decent resume by now (To which I don't disagree with). But, the issue is when they tend to gloss over names that seem to be a decent fit for our team i.e. Robert Moreno.

No matter who we end up with though, there will always be a handful of fans unhappy about the KFA's decision/hiring process. And, it's unfortunate because neither is Kim Pan-gon coming back, but there's simply no better alternative of his nature, unless someone like Lee Young-pyo starts stepping up to take that role.