The Official 2023/2024 Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Kaitlyn, Oct 10, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that is a good point. I think that he could be more impactful and his impact greater with a true #10. My only concern would be his passing with the #10.

2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The whole team's is. Without the threat coming from an attacking center mid an opponents D and mid can be much more aggressive and not have to worry as much about their shape.

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wonder if DeRo's kid is an ACM... Wiki says striker, but that's what DeRo came in as...

markmcf8 repped this.
  4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't see Gruezo combining a lot with the a 10. He mostly plays short safe passes deeper in midfield, and the occasional long ball to the wing. But line breaking passes in the middle, no. Yueill, yes, Gruezo, no. He doesn't play those kinds of passes. Now he could play a short safe pass to a #10 deep in midfield and then the 10 takes it the rest of the way, but we could all do that. I think the best we could hope for is that we could a 10 who really changes the game for us and makes our offense better and therefore we can live with a "protects the back line" guy who doesn't contribute much to the attack. But my bigger hope is that we sign a 6 who can compete with him for minutes, even if that turns out to be Yueill playing that role, and Niko or a new signing picks up the 8.

Not really. He's 26th percentile(!) in tackles vs. not just d-mids, but all mids in MLS, and 8th on the Quakes in tackles per 90, below Tommy Thompson and just above Matthew Hoppe. Just not good enough for our $4.6M d-mid. I get it - he doesn't want to take chances, but he should have many opportunities to make a tackle as our $4.6M d-mid, and he should be smart enough to be able to pick his spots.

5. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Looks pretty good, but not a fan of Miazga. I think there are more deserving players.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #207 xbhaskarx, Nov 28, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    No defensive midfielders or fullbacks once again, certainly Cincy's Barreal was deserving... Walker Zimmerman did nothing to deserve it this year (wasn't even the best defender on his own team) and only made it because that makes five in a row for him... makes no sense that Seattle's Yeimar was a finalist for defender of the year but Zimmerman made the best eleven over him. Another defender who should have made it is Robin Jansson from Orlando. Hany Mukhtar basically went from MVP level to not doing anything over the second half of the season... based on that I'd probably go with Carles Gil or Espinoza over him.

bostero24 and Kaitlyn repped this.
  8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Good point on the d-mids. I like Cincinnati's Nwobodo. He's awesome - like 10x better than Gruezo.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a few good ones but Nwobodo is my current favorite as well.

bostero24 and Kaitlyn repped this.
  10. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #210 Kaitlyn, Nov 28, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    I watched a random classic game last night, 08-18-01 vs Chicago Fire... we lose at home 1-0. No Dayak or Ekelund that game. Both were serving suspensions.

We had our opportunities but Zach Thornton had some good saves and we couldn't convert. Jimmy Conrad struggled this game.

De Rosario should have had a substitutes hat trick but missed all 5 shots. Dario Brose was going to start this game at CM in place of Ronnie Ekelund, but strained his calf during the warmups so they went with Corrales. Jon Conway wasn't on the bench this game a guy named Anthony Latronica was, Schrader said Conway was attending a funeral.

[​IMG]

Chicago also was missing some guys. A fella by the name of Eric Wynalda, Ante Razov and Jamar Beasley. Eric Wynalda was Chicago's best attacker that season too, he was traded to LA Galaxy for 2002. He was scum with Alexi Lalas in 2002 for the entire preseason.
    [​IMG]

Landon Donovan was Player of the Week apparently.

[​IMG]

And I really hate this guy 'Soccer Head'
    [​IMG]

John Doyle plays with the Jeff Agoos Bobblehead, and a week from this game is Bobblehead day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Making his 3rd professional appearance, this moppy headed future coach.

[​IMG]

And they talk about Bay Area about to win the WUSA cup
    [​IMG]

SJTillIDie, NedZ, bostero24 and 2 others repped this.
  11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]

Mrs. bsman always called Curtin "Big Bird"...

[​IMG]

Kaitlyn repped this.
  12. elhula

elhula Member

Apr 18, 2007
    san jose
    Seems like we are one of the last teams other than playoff teams to announce our off season roster decisions, is there a date where that has to be announced by?

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think the deadline for exercising options (or not) is 12/1, which means we'll hear about our decisions on 12/2 or thereafter. When we finally hear about it, it should spark some conversation. There are a lot of decisions to be made.

bsman and elhula repped this.
  14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    True post, but: Thank you Captain Obvious! :D

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Just making sure you're all paying attention out there!

bsman repped this.
  16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might not agree with Bürki. StL cheat a lot, which artificially inflates his numbers. I hate StL and refs who fail to calks fouls on them when they commit dozens of blatant fouls every game. Assholes.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

Kaitlyn repped this.
  17. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think these were already done during the season maybe? That's what I heard about the Benji deal anyway. Not sure how reliable. But it's quite possible that the Quakes marketing team just wanted to have something to announce to keep the embers burning before more announcements upcoming.

xbhaskarx and Kaitlyn repped this.
  19. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah thats what I heard too. Quakes are very secretive about everything for some reason.

bostero24 and bsman repped this.
  20. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, I'd heard that Benji absolutely was not coming back, but my Benji connection was just snapped, so who knows? I guess Greece stopped calling.

Edited to add that I am thrilled about Paul, the unsung hero of our team.

21. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes - this season Paul stepped up his game more than any other Quakes player, IMO. I always felt better when he was on the field.

DasMoots, sacrxy, markmcf8 and 4 others repped this.
  22. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friday is the deadline to announce roster status decisions--options exercised/declined, who's out of contract, etc. (Teams still active don't have to meet the deadline.)

Kaitlyn and JazzyJ repped this.
  23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm betting we release our list at 11:59:59 pm Friday...

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It could be that they signed him because Greece is still interested. Otherwise he goes on a free. Luchi shows little interest in playing him, so not sure it makes sense otherwise.

SeaJayBee repped this.
  25. itscalvin

itscalvin Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Mar 31, 2022
    Sadly deadline to make the decisions, not announce them, which is why every year we wait a couple days after