The Official 2022 Korean NT Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Gayageum, Jan 17, 2022.

1. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Considering SHM's terrible form + our shitty defenders, I want to say he IS our most important player. Our defense is non-existent without him. But wtf is the point? Both SMH and KMJ are important and they are our players.

seolseol repped this.
  2. Bom23

Bom23 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Korea's success is more important than me being right, so at the end of the day I hope Kim Minjae performs well and helps lead us out the group stage.

3. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'll just be glad if we can at least get 3 points in Kazan miracle fashion. It would be a miracle if we make it past the group stage though, but I hope the best for our players/team. Kim Min-jae will be tested by the likes of Suarez, Nunez, Gomez, Fernandez, Silva, Neves. I'm not too worried about Ronaldo and Cavani.

LeeSeungWoo and seolseol repped this.
  4. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    My best guess is that we'll end with 1W-1D-1L. Whether that's enough to get us out of the group, I don't know.

5. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It's always a hit or a miss depending on the results from the other games (Particularly the last group match) eg. we could end up making it past the group stage with 1W 1D 1L like in 2010, or we could end up going home like in 2006.

Either way our first match is really important so we cannot afford to be any more complacent even though that's a bit too much to ask of. Just looking at Uruguay's squad, they're absolutely stacked especially their midfield department is quite a monster.

6. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Luck is needed. We did 1W1D1L but didnt get qualified in the last WC. But Japan did.

7. beejayblanco

beejayblanco Member

Mar 11, 2021
    I expect 3 losses. Anything else is a bonus.

8. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We went 1W and 2L in 2018.

LeeSeungWoo repped this.
  9. Bom23

Bom23 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We finna open the Bentobox

10. CaliforniaSoccerDad

Mar 29, 2022
    California
    That was my guess pre-tournament.
    1-1-1 and miss the 16 on goal differential.

But the optimistic case is 1-2-0 to go through.
    Pessimistic case is 0-1-2 to miss.

11. Bom23

Bom23 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    does anybody remember why KYG became the veteran leader of our back line while HJH was thrown away? After Olympics and while HJH was killing it in the Bundesliga, I remember HJH was more highly rated .

12. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Cause he decided to flee to China? Randomly. While being good in Bundesliga. And only like 25 years old

nmssis repped this.
  13. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    On a separate issue, I find it deeply embarrassing that Koreans call themselves Red Devils. It started from a passing remark by a Mexican press. He probably was not very serious either.

Samurai Blue is also kinda tacky. It is like England calling themselves Knights of Round Table or something. Oh yeah ethnicity does not match, Celtic and Anglo-Saxon. Or should Wales have a nickname like Longbowmen? Denmark Berserkers?

14. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    Actually KYG encouraged, actually enticed HJH to go to China. HJH said so.

15. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Smart move

16. Kor_Ita_21

Kor_Ita_21 Member

Aug 17, 2004
    what do you mean by "killing it in the Bundesliga"? LOL

17. beejayblanco

beejayblanco Member

Mar 11, 2021
    He sold out for a bigger paycheck.

18. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    Kim Minjae's nickname was Jin Min Tsai(찐 민짜이) for a while. That is pretty close to the Chinese pronunciation of his name. And the Koreans were still hurt and changed it to 돈 민짜이( Money Min Tsai). Now people have forgiven him but I still haven't.

He gained some skills in China while defending against top foreign players but a good part of his 2.5 years' stay was wasted. Especially after Wuhan Virus that Chinese shamelessly call Corona-19.

I think Shin Taeyong is a better manager than most people think. I don't miss him but people unnecessarily crap on him.

For 2018 WC, Kim Minjae, Kwon Changhoon, Kim Jinsoo were hurt and did not make the WC. And a few more. It was the most injured WC squad in Korean soccer history.

P.S. And this WC squad is the most injured WC squad after they made the entry. It is the most not-well WC squad in Korean history. Top 3 are all injured. SHM KMJ HHC. And 4th one Lee KangIn is overlooked by the coach. How unlucky.

19. Bom23

Bom23 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I thought that KYG was also in China though so why would that give KYG an advantage over him

20. Bom23

Bom23 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He had a string of games where he was starting and was solid. People were praising him saying “We finally have a real centerback”

21. beejayblanco

beejayblanco Member

Mar 11, 2021
    and then he chose money over football

22. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    But he is also known for frequent mental lapses. It became bad after his leg injury. He confessed he carried a trauma from that injury. He was never the same after that injury.

But KYG is known for even worse mental lapses. He is the one responsible for Iran's lone goal on a 1 shot on goal, 1 shot total and under 30 percent possession 1-0 Iran's victory in June 2013. It nearly cost Korea's WCQ. Among Korean soccer fans, "he did KYG" means a defender committed a stupid mistake.

But fans forgave him after his incredible goal on Germany in 2018 WC.

KYG is considered to have a better speed than HJH(I don't know how much of that is due to his injury) and HJH lost a position in the NT forever after he committed a horrendous mistake under Shin Taeyong, He missed WC 2018.

In his youth he was very highly regarded. almost like a slightly inferior version of KMJ. He was touted as the next Hong Myongbo. I don't know whether it is due to injury but after the surgery he was never the same. Still good enough to go to Europe but certainly not the next HMB.

Bom23 repped this.
  23. Bom23

Bom23 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #298 Bom23, Nov 28, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    Thanks this seems accurate with my memory.

People use to hate KYG. I remember he said that he couldn’t communicate with his teammates because the fans were too loud. Everyone was on his ass then. Also he was teamless or on exile or smth for a while, which was weird. But I love the dude, he’s formed solid CB partnerships with Kwak Taehwi and now Kim Minjae (who I’ve doubted but has proved me wrong thus far, hope he’s healthy), and his distribution is so clean. At this rate he may be a Korean legend? Likely a top 3 Korean CB ever ?

seolseol repped this.
  24. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    2022 should be most memorable year for KYG.
    - Led Ulsan to K-League 1 title for the first time since 2005.
    - Won K-League 1 Best XI award.
    - Scored an equalizer against Portugal in WC 2022 / Played an instrumental role in our defense just as he did four years ago.

nmssis, jessypjs and seolseol repped this.
  25. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    KYG's son and daughter are fierce.
    His daughter bragged in front of Park Jooho's daughter Naeun that her dad was a better player than Naeun's. Park Jooho was embarrassed and , after a pause, said "That is true, right now".
    His son and Gunhoo did a race and his son won. Gunhoo burst into tears.

Bom23 repped this.