The Official 2021 San Jose Earthquakes related Blogs/Press thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 1, 2021.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #76 JazzyJ, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Whether it's Spartan or Buck Shaw or Quakes Stadium (PayPal Stadium? Sigh...), I think we've always struggled getting much above that 10-12k number consistently. I don't think we really had an appreciable attendance bump when we were a very good, championship level team, let's say 2001-2005. So I'm a little skeptical of the argument that if you're just consistently good, people will come. I still think that soccer in the Bay Area is a tough nut to crack, though certainly a bona fide "star" player would help. Why is that? Off the top of my head, I would guess:

1) Fans who like soccer tend to be europhile or mx-ophile, and MLS doesn't rate

2) Tech-dominated work culture in the bay area is nuts. People are working crazy hours, and now work can be seamlessly done at home. Little time for entertainment activities, and when there is, the entertainment itself tends to be tech heavy (games, movies on big screen at home, etc.)

3) Lots of teams / entertainment options: 2 MLB teams, NFL team, NBA team, NHL team, and of course great weather for all kinds of outdoor activity that say a place like Houston might not have in the summer.

The Sharks are a good example of a Bay Area team that's done well with a consistently good team, but they started with a bang in a well-established league. The Quakes OTOH were an upstart team in a fledging league, and I think the Mickey Mousedness of the league at that time set a certain perception of the product in the market and it's hard to shed that (and the Mercury-News "helped" to sell the Micky Mouse perception). If the Quakes want to try to emulate the Sharks, they need a reset / big bang. Again, the stadium opening was the time to do it, and unfortunately it didn't really happen.

2. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    it didn't happen and it was a big miss. that was their big shot to change the culture, good will was in abundance and season tix were completely sold out, apparently, and we did nothing to build on that momentum.

I think @Goodsport makes an important point about our 2004, 2005 attendance numbers in that rumors of the team leaving were already beginning to swirl and that, I expect, didn't do much to inspire loyalty and drive season ticket sales.

On your other points, 1) valid, I have a friend like this and have met others as well who follow Euro leagues and laugh at MLS, although I'm convinced that if the Quakes were playing at 2005-level or better, fans could be lured based on the quality. Adding a big DP doesn't mean he would have to be a Euro or Latin-American star, could be a returning US players (like Pulisic who's struggling these days at Chelsea) but Quakes are rather unimaginative and haven't built a culture that would appeal to a young rising star. 2) I think this could be overcome if we had stars and a better track record and, if somehow Quakes soccer became a cool, hip thing to do...yes, people are working too hard, struggling to find work/play balance, but, as you say, these same locals fill up the Shark Tank consistently (17,500) and had an incredible run of sell-outs. And 3), yup, so much to do, so much to see, from Big Sur to Mt Tam to Mt Diablo, SF...Oakland, the Fox Theater...so many entertainment options which is why it's so important, critical even, for the Quakes to actually be entertaining. The Fish model has been an exercise in what not to do if you hope to capture imaginations, inspire excitement and passion, and sell tickets. I've never understood how Fish thought his model of small team flat frugal ball could ever actually succeed.

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    AEG having one foot out the door in 2004 and 2005 didn't help, but we had those years from 2001-2003 when the team was really, really good, and we had a big American soccer star with teen idol looks, and we still couldn't really move the needle.

4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I don't want to discount this because I do remember crazy, inexplicable fluctuations in attendance throughout the Spartan years, and yes, we had the kid, with his blond curly locks :D but I remember the support being pretty good, especially for weekend games during that period, so I would quibble a little in that the needle did move, maybe not consistently but it seems like that period was better for attendance than say pre-2001 or post 2003...but it's been awhile, my memory is a little fuzzy...

...these days though, it's going to take some work to change the culture. I feel like Matias will push Fish a little, and he's squeezed a few new signings out of him, the initial take on these guys hasn't exactly been hot...but who knows, maybe that intangible chemistry factor kicks in and 2021 is our comeback year. :ROFLMAO:

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm sure the needle moved a little in 2001-2003, but not really all that much I don't think. And we had everything - championships and a star player.

If we are really "done" with respect to new signings of significance, then my prediction that Fish could go into a kind of pandemic-inspired "austerity mode" could be proving out. We've dropped from our roster:

Vako - $1.5 mil
    Hoesen - ~$0.5 mil
    Kashia - ~$0.5 mil
    Eriksson - ~$0.5 mil
    Lima - ~$0.25 mil
    ----------------------------
    Total: ~ $3.25 mil

We've acquired:

Chofis - ~$0.5 mil(?)
    Remedi - ~$0.3 mil (based on previous MLS salary)
    Abecasis - ~$0.4 mil (just a guess)
    Benji - a pack of Pop Tarts
    -------------------------------------------
    Total: ~ $1.2 mil + pack of Pop Tarts

So Fish has dropped something $2 mil from our roster expenditure, which I think is around a 20% drop. There could of course be more signings in the summer, and there could be more to come before season start, but time's running out.

DotMPP and Quakes05 repped this.
  6. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    it was more likely that a certain former president would humbly accept defeat than Fish boosting player spending during the pandemic. it was always wayyyyy more likely that we would see a Fish yard sale this year...and he has absolutely delivered! Offense gutted - check! Hope level for 2021 at all time low - check! Starting with Magnus, Fish has fully embraced austerity mode, moved in and furnished the place. Chofis better be a goal scoring machine (and Vega a flub-free goal stopping machine) or we're in for another loooooooong season of barely watchable Fishball. :thumbsdown:

DotMPP and bsman repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #82 JazzyJ, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Yep, that's why I never bought into the "board group think intelligentsia" that claimed that Almeyda and Wondo staying meant that now surely Fish was truly "committed to winning". Of all years, not going to happen this year.

8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't think anyone has mentioned all the renumbering that was just announced -- JT with #1, Paul Marie #3, Fierro #7, Fuentes #21. Did they think the new numbers would fool us into thinking we had new players?

9. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Well Fuentes has never featured in league play so he would be considered "new" :D

DotMPP repped this.
  10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I will buy one of those. If I can get long-sleeve, all the better!

12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Agree, I want the Wondo version!

bsman repped this.
  13. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The jerseys are up on the MLS site. Although you can get the jersey customized with any name, there are four players whose jerseys are in regular stock: Wondo (short sleeves), Jackson, Espi, and Alanis. I wonder who decides?

14. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Survey from the FO! It starts with:
    Which of the following best describes where you live?
    Urban/city area
    Suburban area
    Rural area

Okay, I'm stumped right there. More people work in my city than live here. But my city is small, so does the FO consider that a suburb, and if it's a suburb, what is a suburb of? Palo Alto? Why do they even ask?

After requesting zip code, sex, and age, it goes straight to
    Are you of Hispanic, Latino/Latina, South American, Central American, or Caribbean, descent?

And then of course
    Which of the following best describes your ethnic background?=Asian
    Black/African American
    American Indian or Alaska native
    White/Caucasian
    Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander
    Other (please specify):
    Prefer not to say

Finally, after all those nosy questions (how did they miss household income? education level? profession?) they finally ask something soccer-related

Which ticket product do you typically purchase when you attend San Jose?

and
    Where do you typically sit when you attend San Jose Earthquakes games?

Then it queries my comfort level doing all kinds of activities unrelated to soccer (fly, sit in a restaurant, etc)

Followed by all kinds of questions about what safety precautions they need to take at the stadium, whether I will attend games, how many I will attend, etc etc.

The survey is all over the place. I'm not sure they will get much useful info, because for me (and I'd guess, most of us) there's no easy answer. A lot depends on exogenous circumstances, like case rate and percentage of people vaccinated. Even with my family fully vaccinated (someday) I'm not comfortable going to a game now given case loads and the emergence of variants. ymmv

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly, no one took a course on how to write a questionnaire. Start with the critical questions, get to the demographics last.

Were these checkbox questions? Or did you have the ability to write stuff? It's harder to tabulate open-ended questions, but you can do it. Certain trends emerge in the answers and you categorize those.

And on-location, if they ask for your zip, what's with the urban or rural description? They should know where you live and they should know what they consider it. Also, what does it matter?

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  16. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Common sense suggests you only ask questions if the responses are actionable. Presumably the FO already knows where most of the fans live, and the location questions seem to have been lifted from a generic template. But let's speculate, for example, if 5% of the respondents indicate they live in rural areas, will the FO take out ads in, I don't know, farming publications? Will they change their approach if a significant number of responses come from fans of Caribbean origin?

The only place for free response is at the end, and that's where I told them that they were unlikely to get useful info from the survey. A kitchen sink survey answered by a self-selected sample will yield information sludge.

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    I think it is a survey from MLS and not the team per se. After I submitted the survey, the thank you page sported the MSL logo and not the Quakes logo.

DotMPP repped this.
  18. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With today’s schedule announcement, all 34 matches of our 2021 MLS regular season are confirmed! This has been a long time coming, and I speak on behalf of the entire organization when I say that we are so excited to embark on this new chapter together.

We will kick off the season on the road at Houston Dynamo FC on Friday, April 16 and will then return to San Jose for a series of home matches that will last through the month of May. Per current California health guidelines, we plan to welcome fans back at 20% capacity with six-feet social distancing between groups.

As a Season Ticket Holder, you will have top priority to attend our home matches in person and can apply the credit that you rolled over from last season. You currently have $989.25 of credit in your account.

Claiming Your Tickets
    You will be able to claim tickets for the first two matches of the season, which includes the Home Opener on Saturday, April 24 at 12:30 p.m. against FC Dallas and the Saturday, May 1 matchup against D.C. United, via Account Manager during your exclusive window, starting on April 6 at 10 a.m.

While seats will be very limited for the first two matches, we will do our best to create fair access for Season Ticket Holders to attend. After all tickets for the first two matches are claimed, we then begin the process to select seats for the following three home matches in May. Any Season Ticket Holder that did not get tickets for first two matches will have top priority to select seats for this set of matches.

Please note, tickets for each individual match will be sold separately.

Keeping You Safe
    We are committed to following health guidelines in order to keep you safe at our matches, including a mask requirement for all fans. We have also implemented mobile ticketing for all our matches this year, which will facilitate a touchless entry process, and you will be able to sit with your friends and family while maintaining a safe social distance from other fans.

It is my goal to create a safe environment for your return to Earthquakes Stadium. If you are not ready to attend our matches in person, you do not need to take any action. We will keep your credit in your account, which you can apply to tickets when you do return to the stadium.

It has been a challenging time for us all and I am truly grateful for your support of the Quakes. We look forward to welcoming you home to Earthquakes Stadium soon.

Go Quakes!

Jared Shawlee
    Chief Operating Officer

Quakes05 repped this.
  19. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, we are orange tier now, so 33% capacity. You think the e-mail would have been updated for that.

20. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm told:
    "Even though the CDC has reduced social distancing limits to 3ft, the state of California is continuing to enforce 6ft of distance at all sporting events. The first two home matches will be limited to 20% total capacity. We will review any updated health and safety guidance before the following three home games with the hopes that these restrictions will ease, but TBD on if we’re able to expand past 20% capacity in May."

markmcf8 repped this.
  21. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Even though Santa Clara County is in the orange tier, the requirement of 6 feet distance between groups necessitates limiting stadium capacity to 20%. Also, the team is basing the "exclusive" window times on price paid for season tickets with all renewing STH's getting a shot before new STH's. Some other MLS teams are prioritizing STH tenure over STH payment amount, but not the $J Earthquake$.

22. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The email didn't mention it (it was probably written before yesterday), but the website announcement did:

Fan attendance for the beginning of the 2021 season will be limited to 20 percent in order to follow social distancing protocols set in place by local and state guidance. While Santa Clara County has moved into the Orange Tier, which allows for 33 percent capacity, the capacity will still be limited to 20 percent to allow for appropriate social distancing.

https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/2021/03/24/news-earthquakes-announce-2021-regular-season-schedule

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jared Shawlee answers Twitter questions here (Click on "Ask Jared"):

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member