The Official 2020 MLS SuperDraft thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't usually look at the draft in terms of who specifically I want, but rather at which positions I want to bolster, and I'm usually thinking two or three seasons into the future. Por ejemplo, we know for certain that we need more defenders. Happily, the USA is pretty good at producing decent defenders. Even if we spend a late round choice on a defender, we could get someone we could train into the sort of defender we want. Assuming that he has some basic physical and mental skills.

We know that we're going to want strikers, or that if we develop some strikers who we don't need, that we could trade them or sell them on.

Do we know what our draft order is? We sucked less than the previous year, so probably we do not have a high choice. Which means I would feel less excited about drafting "the best player available." We might not need that guy.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

3. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We have the 12th, 27th*, 38th, 64th & 90th overall picks. We traded with Inter Miami for the 1st pick of the second round. So two are reasonably high, but maybe not high enough to get a Generation Adidas player, which seem to be fewer now that MLS teams have developmental structures.

Quakes05 and markmcf8 repped this.
  4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, so with 12 and 27, you look at who is available on the board, and which of those guys might be the most useful. I don't see us taking a GK for example. But there might be a decent defender available. And really, a defender at any position would be a fine pick. You shouldn't expect to get starting minutes out of anyone in the draft, at least, not anyone not in the top three or five picks. So a guy who could be a backup, or might spend a season or two with Reno.

At 27, you're looking at projects, at least mostly. Anything after that, you have to be thinking of them spending a season or three in Reno, and maybe you can make something of them, even if they are only ever good enough to be backups. But good chance those picks never come good.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

5. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Tanner Beason(D) out of Stanford would be a massive victory for our front office if they could land him at #12.

6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not on the list of players invited to the combine -- which doesn't mean squat. On the upside, it might mean that we have a better shot at getting him. And of course, he could well be added to the list later.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

Beerking repped this.
  7. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are all waaaaaay off, but it’s a fun exercise, and it let’s us fans see who various analysts rate as quality players. These guys sometimes (not always, just sometimes) have players going where the analyst wants to see them go, as opposed to thinking about what each team wants or needs.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I stopped watching college games last season. Any hidden gems?

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, I'm a Badger, so I'll be watching the Rose Bowl!

11. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  12. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Pretty sure we are not going to pick another goalkeeper, we have five on the roster right now which is two more than we need (granted one is 15?), but even at four we have too many.

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We like to carry three GK's, and we can loan one or two to Reno. So I wouldn't think that drafting a GK would be a good move.

We need a bunch of defenders though, so hard to go wrong there. Also, we aren't going to get quality attacking players out of the draft, at least, not guys who could give us starting minutes this season. So, I'd go with defenders and maybe a late-round forward who we could then loan to Reno for a season or three.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When the Seahawks recently needed running backs, they lured Marshawn Lynch out of retirement. Since Quakes need defenders, maybe we can do the same with Kip Colvey. #BeastMode :)

markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  15. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Great idea though there is nobody on the coaching staff who has any idea who he is.

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Realistically, you can only expect starting quality picks in the first five, maybe ten at the very outside most, picks. So we pick at 12th? We won't be getting a starter. Best case, we get a guy who can give us some sub minutes toward the end of the season.

I am much more confident in the current coaching that young players will be developed, rather than the ancien regime, where most of our draftees we wrecked. See Alashe, Fatai, among others.

We need to make some good draft picks, but really, we need to either grab some current MLS players, or snag some good players from overseas.

We're screwed, no doubt about it.

Go Quakes!!
    A teeny, tiny, don't give a shit organization!

- Mark

Beerking and bsman repped this.
  17. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would suggest Ike Opara is the poster child for this.

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wouldn't. It was probably more of an "he is injury prone and we won't get any playing tome from him" so they deemed him expendable.

19. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except Marshawn Lynch was one of the greatest running backs of this century, whereas Colvey accomplished jack squat in his pro career (outside of having an unheard of 6 key passes in one half of a US Open Cup game.)
    #StopTrollingMe :D

tenfourteen repped this.
  20. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Hasani Dotson went 31st overall just last year and now is on the fringe of the USMNT. You're mostly right, but there could be contributors to be had.

markmcf8 repped this.
  21. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I'll be watching on youtube tomorrow at 9:30, call me a masochist. Hope springs eternal but goes to die in Quakeland.

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There is also the possibility of trading around these picks. Let's hope the day has a little excitement for us!

Beerking repped this.