The Official 2019 US Men's Draft Game -- Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheFalseNine, Jan 7, 2019.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eleven Bravo repped this.
  2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a reminder for all the teams. Draft clock will start promptly at 9 AM Central time next Monday. @zlebmada will be on the clock!

3. Matthew Hartman

United States
    Jun 3, 2017
    Be prepared to erase Marky Delgado from your draft boards everyone.

ChuckMe92 and zlebmada repped this.
  4. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bold first overall pick right there from @zlebmada!

ChuckMe92 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damnit. Was hoping Pulisic would fall to me at pick 10.

6. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wooh! Adopted a new German Shepherd puppy and the first day of rounds has started !

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very bold pick but if Sargent scores a few more goals and Pulisic continues to be rotation in league until his move to Chelsea I can kinda sorta wrap my mind around it. But Pulisic is the clear cut number 1 player right now.

zlebmada, ChuckMe92 and Alex Blanton repped this.
  8. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I was really torn between Weah and one other player that I assume will go with the next pick. I think the other player may have more sheer quality, but I see a lack of attacking depth so I opted for Weah. Surprised with the Sargent pick, but if you like him it makes sense, there was no way Sargent was going to fall to them at their next pick.

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of curiosity, would you have went in this direction if not for the recent glowing reports from Celtic camp? Because before that I was settled on what I thought was going to be a substantial reach, since I projected the loan to go well because Celtic will allow him to play high up the field, I thought Dave didn't put him in positions to succeed, PSG is tough to break in for a young attacker, him having some versatility, and the over-valuing of fw's traditionally in these drafts. Then I saw those camp reports and started to be concerned.

10. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I wanted a mobile and skillful 9 (although he can and could still be used wide) and Weah was really the only one that fit that IMO. I admit it is maybe a reach in terms of pure quality, but I felt like the drop off in quality for this position was larger than the position of the other player I was considering.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And with that, all of the first five picks are age 20 or younger.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  12. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of predictable given the current state of the pool, no?

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  13. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of curiosity, did you consider anyone else, or were you always going Weah if Sargent and Pulisic were off the board?

14. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I would have taken Weah over Sargent not because I think he’s clearly better just a style of play preference. I could not have passed on Pulisic had he fallen to three. Solid picks with Adams, Mckennie, and Brooks but just in my opinion Mckennie > Adams. Mckennie was the other player I was highly considering with my third pick, I rate him extremely highly but I just felt there’s more depth in the midfield than there is at the attacking positions.

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams has been superior with the national team the last year, he's with a better outfit as Schalke have fallen on hard times recently to the point even Haji Wright was playing for them, and Tyler is off to a promising start in his first camp there. Adams is also rangier, which I value. 3/4 of the world is covered with water, the rest is covered by Tyler Adams. You need less creativity if you win the ball high up and can go in space.

McKennie's argument is that he can passably play in attack which is a weakness for the pool. But you don't make a 1st rd pick then play him out of position and where he's going to have less impact.

16. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I think Mckennie’s best position is as a 6, unfortunately I don’t think he will be used there with the US. I think Adams’ best position is still in question, although the same could be said of McKennie. I like Adams a lot, I’m just saying if I had to pick one of them I would go with McKennie. In my opinion he is a little cleaner and has a little more bite, Adams covers more ground though so it just depends what your prioritize.

17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, we are moving at a snail’s pace for the first round!

ChuckMe92, Kevin8833 and zlebmada repped this.
  18. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    Can somebody please pick somebody, anybody.....

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  19. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about that guys. It was a rough day at work and brought a lot of it home.

20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    Really like the Yedlin pick, surprised he fell that far

ShaftBrewer repped this.
  22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 thedukeofsoccer, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Kudos to @CreightonMCFCjoey for your promptness. Really didn't know what to expect due to the previous lack of visibility. But you hopped right up from the bench when your number was called.

Into the 2nd round...now we're cooking with gas instead of damp matches.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  23. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23 AutoPenalti, Jan 16, 2019
    Hey guys,

For future reference, I would like to suggest an idea to possibly speed up the draft.

TEXTING

I'm pretty sure everyone on this board from 1954 onward has used or at least learned about texting. Well, I believe it may help if we can get into a little group just for the draft and text the person up next. It helps remind the next person that is not on BigSoccer 24/7 that they are on the clock.

MESSENGER

If texting isn't suitable for you, maybe social media can help. Everyone here probably has some form of an app on their phone that can message people. Facebook has an app called messenger. This app doesn't require you to add that person on Facebook.

DISCORD / GROUP CHAT

Discord is all-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that's free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. However, this is now being used for smaller private chats and is really easy to use. Discord includes voice chat and text chats. If anyone wants to host a Discord it is completely free and I personally recommend this. Discord can be downloaded on iPhone or Andriod in their respective app stores. Discord can also notify you when your round is up with private messaging. You can choose the rooms you want to be in or create one yourself. If anyone is on board with the idea, and I can get approval from @bungadiri or @dark knight, I can make a discord room just for the draft. Registration is not required.

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 truefan420, Jan 16, 2019
    He’s a defender. We picked at 7 and were torn between Jozy vs Wood. Neither are earth shattering and Yedlin will play a larger role going forward but their both strikers that are proven and done well at times in the right situation will do well. That’s much much harder to find in our pool. Weah went what 4th as a gamble on his loan going well... that should tell you everything you need to know about our pool and these types of drafts.

25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First two? I’m fine with. The last one? My old man inside of me is like huh??

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.