The Official 2019 Korean NT Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by ChaDuRi671, Dec 31, 2018.

1. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Lee Seung Woo staying with Hellas instead of being selected for Asian Cup would have been ok with me honestly, for his development. But ok with being selected too. Not sure how big of an impact he's going to make tho for this Asian Cup.

Deleted Users repped this.
  2. victoriabrono

victoriabrono Red Card

Nov 30, 2018
    LJS is overrated LSW should be starting in his place

3. taelee1127

taelee1127 Member

South Korea
    Aug 27, 2018
    Italy
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Lol you think everyone is overrated. Do you play soccer? In all seriousness

4. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Just a day off from LJS as the whole team.

5. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Same. I'm ok either way.

6. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    For me, Ki's injury is a blessing in disguise. I have a hunch that our point-per-game ratio in the last 4-5 years is actually higher without Ki. Make no mistake, technique alone, I think he should be an all-time KNT player.

But he's not. He's not a good defender, he's not a marathon runner or a sprinter, and he frequently takes too many unnecessary touches when he plays for the KNT. For example, the second Mexico goal this summer was due to a careless turnover while dribbling (Son does this way too often with the KNT as well).

I'm not going to say that we've got any midfielders that's better than Ki. We don't. But what we need his grit, mobility, pace and discipline and these are all attributes that doesn't describe Ki. If Ki's pass completion rate is 80%, I'd rather deploy two midfielders with 60% pass completion but can outrun, outpace and outdefend Ki.

He is the ultimate luxury player for the KNT and what the KNT needs are fundamentals, not the bells and whistles.

wetcrispy repped this.
  7. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    pretty sure ki sungyong was third in distance covered after first two matches. only behind lee yong and lee jaesung

outrunning and outdefending are very different things. defending requires timely man marking and space covering. korea has tried playing other players in ki sungyong position and i dont think anyone had ever outdefended him. im happy to hear counter arguments but right now in my head kim jungwoo during the 2010 campaign is the only player i can think of whos had more success in his role. ironically when they were playing together

8. Reach24

Reach24 Member

South Korea FC
    South Korea
    May 2, 2012
    Korea Republic
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What's the news for Ki?

9. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    They suspect there's an issue with his hamstring, Ki finished getting an MRI but yet to get the results.

대표팀 관계자는 "기성용의 오른쪽 햄스트링 근육에 문제가 생긴 것 같다. 경기 후 기성용은 가까운 병원으로 이동, MRI 촬영을 했다. 결과는 지켜봐야 한다"고 밝혔다.

경기 후 파울루 벤투 감독은 기자회견에서 "아직 정확한 상태는 모른다. 확인이 필요하다. 의무팀의 최종 진단이 필요하다. 기다려야 한다"고 말을 아꼈다.

10. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Agreed...for the most part.

I'd rather play a Kim Jung-woo over Ki. The best ever pair are Kim Nam-il and Yoo Sang-chul (but Yoo Sang-chul in my book, is probably the best all-around KNT player of all time). Park Ji-sung was clearly a better defender than Ki. Currently, I think Koo is the most realistic option and he has repeatedly said that he prefers this position..

Therefore, I do not agree is that nobody has "out-defended" him. Perhaps but that just tells you the depth of this squad because Ki is a very, very bad defender. Ki has automatically been granted a starter position without being tested for it. Which I believe leads to his very different demeanor for club and country. For the KNT, he tends to take bigger risks (understandably) but from what I've seen, does more bad than good. The most common risk I've seen him do is frequently abandoning his position, which I've never seen him do at Swansea or Newcastle.

The fundamental problem is that he's an AMF, not a DMF. He's been forced to play back in the latter half of his career and I certainly do welcome Bento playing him forward more. To your point, Kim Jung-woo had success playing along Ki and vice versa because Kim Jung-woo was a very, very disciplined player. And we also had Park Ji-sung.

11. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    raffa not a happy man

chook90 and seolseol repped this.
  12. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    who do you suggest playing next to gu jachul? if you want pace and faster rotation of the ball im not sure building your central core around gu jachul is the best idea

if you cant get one of the teams more talented and experienced player to perform to the best of his ability i believe thats a personnel problem not an individual one. either the coach squeezes more out of him or puts players around him who can compensate for his weaknesses. for example ki sungyong is pretty good at slotting between central defenders and covering for their spaces or defending the final line at their expense but he has a difficult time keeping up with opposing players who make runs without the ball. problem is hes never played with a ball winning midfielder at the national team who can do that for/along with him (think han kookyoung comes close but he was a terrible player). he also never partnered with a midfielder who was physically bigger or stronger than him so it was always on him to take on stronger opposing players whilst having the burden of orchestrating the midfield. if ki sungyong is a central midfielder with good enough attacking instincts to be an attacking midfielder and at the same time as poor as you say hes on defence why hasnt korea attempted to lessen his defensive duties? maybe if you line everyone up ki sungyongs defence isnt so bad hes just got so much other shit to do on the pitch whilst not being good enough to do all. hes only a swansea/newcastle rotational player after all

i want to make sure you know i share some of your frustrations with ki sungyong. for many years he lacked the charisma and command to be leading a team and he had the tendency to take things not seriously enough but in more recent times i think he has been trying. hes minimized his goofiness over the years and put on what probably was his best impression of a leader during the previous world cup cycle. he gave his best attempting to be something hes not (being a captain) and has since let go of the role. to me it was an acceptable change and effort by him. what i didnt find acceptable though is that all these years no one else stepped up to challenge ki sungyongs status since he made himself captain post park jisung departure. like the day after the best player leaves this 22 year old ill mannered kid decides hes going to run the show from now on and no one, literally no one (not kwak taehwi, not cha duri, not park juyoung, not lee geunho, not jo kwangrae, not hong myungbo, not gu jachul nor lee chungyong, not son heungmin) dared him to earn his crown. imagine what korea would have been like if park jisung and lee youngpyo never panned out and it was entirely up to lee chunsoo to lead the korean team of the mid 00s. lee chunsoo would have done a shit awful job and the team would have been disastrous but that wouldnt have been lee chunsoos fault. the blame would have been on korean soccer for failing to produce character players. i dont see how it is any different now. our disappointments really shouldnt be placed on ki sungyong. it should be with korean soccer, the education system, and korean community as a whole

wetcrispy repped this.
  13. Gaemamusa

Gaemamusa Red Card

Jan 7, 2019
    Koo is old and sluggish and far from what he used to be in the Olympics. It was a bad selection on Bento's part to even include him in the roster.

seolseol and chook90 repped this.
  14. Bom23

Bom23 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Prediction: Na Sangho will move ahead of HHC in the pecking order within this world cup cycle

15. taelee1127

taelee1127 Member

South Korea
    Aug 27, 2018
    Italy
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I can see that.

16. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
  17. taelee1127

taelee1127 Member

South Korea
    Aug 27, 2018
    Italy
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Lee Kang In with a start in the first team today :D

jk1802, chook90 and DHMGKorea repped this.
  18. yahtrickyah

yahtrickyah Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Wait so did LSW get a late call up?

19. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    due to injuries i think

yahtrickyah repped this.
  20. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    lol your avatar.

what is he eating in the beginning?

yahtrickyah repped this.
  21. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah, Lee Seung-woo replaced the injured Na Sang-ho(Knee injury).

22. victoriabrono

victoriabrono Red Card

Nov 30, 2018
    Soondae

23. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht

I'm hoping Kim Jinya develops into a fine RB. Not LB though because I think he plays better on the right. He'll be 20/21 next season so I hope he breaks through.

24. TigersOfAsia2

TigersOfAsia2 Member

Toronto Maple Leafs
    South Korea
    May 12, 2017
    Needs to put on some weight first..idk how much this would slow him down tho.

Why not become a right footed offensive LB ala YP Lee.
    Already got KMH on that side that I like over cross master Lee Yong.

25. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    He plays better at the right.
    I wish he added maybe 5 kg of pure muscle without losing speed and agility.