The Official 2001 Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Kaitlyn, Feb 5, 2021.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2001 in our home playoff games, random people started chants or songs all over the stadium and their neighbors joined in. It was amazing!! Best fans ever!! And an excellent team!! It was so great. The playoff game against Miami may well be the best sporting event I have ever attended. (We moved away in 2002.)

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

Kaitlyn repped this.
  2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its like 2020, only.......not.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  3. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

https://www.historysanjose.org/wp/city-of-champions-2001-a-san-jose-soccer-odyssey-exhibit/

2011:
    "San José boasted the most accomplished teams and the most celebrated players in the land. Never before or since has a single American community held at the same time both men’s and women’s pro trophies or been more deserving of the mantle, “City of Champions.” History San José’s exhibit commemorated the tenth anniversary of this enchanted moment in our sports history."

markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  4. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "History San José’s exhibit commemorated the tenth anniversary"

5. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy Birthday to Jimmy Conrad.

[​IMG]

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the reunion this year, does Landon come? Does he get booed or cheered?

Hawkeye17 repped this.
  7. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    cheered (we've made our point)

bsman repped this.
  8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F@#$ that!! I’d boo him, but then I won’t be there so doesn’t matter.

9. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    he probably had more to do with our success in 2001 and 2003 than any other player - I'm all good with LD, in fact, he represents an era in Quakes history when winning was a real possibility, so in that sense, I have gratitude and fondness for him and what he did here. Plus, he was fun to watch...yes, he got knocked off the ball a little too easily but he had mad goal scoring skills, determination and, gave his all to SJ, until he did the unthinkable. But yeah, bygones are now bygones, thanks for the memories Landon!

bostero24 and QuakeAttack repped this.
  10. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheered. Anyone who boo's him needs to move on. We wouldn't have cared if he left if hadn't won two MLS Cups and was the best USMNT at the time. Could he have helped keep the Quakes in SJ? Possibly, it just would have meant having Wolfe and Fischer as owners sooner, but the same stadium. Also, there is no guarantee they would have won the two additional MLS Cups in SJ. They had a chip on their shoulders when they went to Houston.

11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    All I can say is that, from my own personal experience, I found LD to be a very nice, polite, and well-spoken young man. I hold no grudges. He was suffering from depression, separation from his home and family, and that's a lot to deal with before you're 21!

chris thebassplayer repped this.
  12. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't think anyone "needs" to do anything. Everyone has their own outlook, their own timetable, and it's no one's place to tell someone else how they "need" to feel about LD, IMO.

That said, 5 years ago I wasn't ready to say it, but I'm over the Landon hate. But I doubt he's going to come here for any kind of 2001 celebration. And frankly, I'd rather see DeRo invited here, and honored for his contribution to the club. 'Cause he was here in 2005 when Landon wasn't, and he had a monster year that year, that propelled us to the SS. That was one of the greatest MLS teams of all time even though it didn't win MLS Cup. But I consider SS a more meaningful achievement. That team was better than either 2001 or 2003.

Here's an article about the 2005 Quakes as one of the 5 best of all-time in MLS (as well as DeRo's role in it):

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/09/13/armchair-analyst-five-best-mls-teams-all-time

markmcf8 and Quakes05 repped this.
  13. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    '05, what a whirlwind of emotion, the soccer was so damn good, played under a cloud of uncertainty.

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    And the "damn good" soccer just came out of nowhere. Because we'd lost Landon and some other players, I remember even the FO was saying sheepishly, that they "hoped we'd be competitive". Pretty sure most "pundits" picked us to be last or next to last.

markmcf8, bsman and Quakes05 repped this.
  15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As well as Wolff and Fisher. ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

16. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #41 Beckham7, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021

Appearances by
    Frank Yallop
    Tim Hanley
    Joe Canon
    Zak Ibsen
    Jeff Agoos
    Troy Dayak
    Jimmy Conrad
    Ramiro Corrales
    Richard Mulrooney
    Scott Bower
    Ronald Cerritos
    Dwayne Derosario

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Love this, and nice to see DeRo finally getting some love. And turns out that you can do a video production / montage with home-provided content :).

markmcf8 and BCaso18 repped this.
  18. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon deserves to be cheered. I hope he's apart of the celebration this summer.

Scott Bower is still so sexy.

Well of course... Technology isn't in 2005.

Hawkeye17 repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, I was referring to the other video they did with the jersey openings, with Jimmy, Ibsen, and I forgot, Ramiro? Someone said players had to be local because it was Quakes video crew. True enough, if you want to shoot it. But they could have just used player produced video if they weren't picky about video quality or trying to control messaging.

20. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    markmcf8 and Kaitlyn repped this.
  21. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Definitely cheered...I'm a huge LD fan...couldn't stand seeing him in a Gals kit, but never held it against him...he had to deal with a ton behind the scenes. He enjoyed playing in SJ, but the timing wasn't right mentally for him to continue in SJ...I was bummed but understood there was way more to the story than him being a "traitor"

He was on the best things to ever happen to this club...

We should embrace what he did for us and forget the rest.

Hawkeye17, bostero24 and Kaitlyn repped this.
  22. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm going to disagree. In 2003, in the awesome comeback game. Landon had his head down and thought we were doomed when we were down 4 to nil. It was Jamil Walker who rallied Landon and the rest of the team. It was Jamil who earned the free-kick that led to Agoos's awesome goal. Jamil was crucial in that game and in the Cup game. But I wouldn't say that Jamil was the most influential. It was a team effort all the way. It was, to borrow a phrase: Eleven playing as one!

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

Hawkeye17 repped this.
  24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Jamil was not a very good soccer player technically speaking, IMO - really wooden touch, etc., but dang he was fast! And he had a good run of form at the end of 2003, including the Cup game (nice assist to LD for the 2nd goal I think). He definitely deserves credit for that.

25. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing with Jamil was that he was so fast, the only way to prevent him getting a one on one with the 'keeper was to foul him. He won us a ton of free kicks, and he scored some nice goals. Also, he got very hot when we really needed it. The stars aligned.

Damn that was a good year!!

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark