The Off-Season "Near News" and Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ray's been gone less than a week. Dallas had some names tied to its job, but do you want to bet the kind of reporting on that job was similar to DC's reporting six days out?

And they "promised" a decision by MLS Cup, then had to wait more than a week after their top pick turned them down. And we found out people were out of consideration from those people, not from the Burn.

The way this is being handled is SOP for jobs in pro sports. The only one I've seen fully in the open recently was the Baltimore Orioles and that's because they have such a horrible public image to begin with.

As far as being embarassed by the number of candidates, Dallas had 150 people express interest in their job and they won't have Freddy Adu. I don't think there's a shortage of interest in this job.

2. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Maybe they all thought that they could get away with not trading the #1 draft pick to DC United! ;)

3. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Seriously, we aren't gonna find an official short list. That's not how Payne operates. occasionally we will get lucky and Goff or someone else will get a name. But that name will just be thrown out there- nothing official.

The actual decision will happen before we are aware of it. In fact we will be (and are) speculating on names that Payne has crossed off long ago, while Payne is actually making his offer.

4. soccerball

soccerball New Member

Feb 13, 2001
    who?

any of these guys have any coaching experience???//

5. Menno-soccer-man

Menno-soccer-man New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Pretzels

OK, all this talk of pretzels is getting me hungry! As a DCU fan living in Lancaster County, I could come down and bring the handmade Martin's pretzels. Now that is something worth a beer or two!

6. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nowak & Kubik

Hey Ender, since you know who our new coaching tandem is, can you find out when DCU will announce their hiring? The suspense is killing me!!

7. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    Maybe we covered this and i missed it, but in Saturday's article by Goff,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A39934-2003Dec5.html

he threw in the line "If Nowak is hired, he would likely have former teammate Lubos Kubik as an assistant coach."
    Did he say that cause we've been throwing it around or did he talk to someone you think?

8. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Re: Pretzels

"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

9. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Yeah I think it was covered in one of the other threads.

P.S. Anybody on Gold want to P.M. telling me who the 3 Galaxy players are? Please!!!

10. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    what is this in reference to?

11. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    LA is shopping three different players around the league.

12. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Well, I can't get a link to work for some reason, but Chris Bergin reported it on his regular forums.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The three players: Lalas, Broome and Suarez

14. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

humorous....trade for them, hardly ever play them & look to get rid of them.

15. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    SUarez was injured, so he never really got a fair shake. I'd like us to go for him if we didn't already have Reyes returning.

16. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I'd take a pass on Suarez, he's nowhere near as good as his press. He's about as calm in a hot situation as Roberto Bernini making an acceptance speech.

Broome might be a good pick-up as a mid-salary skill player.

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Pretzels

Dude, I'm in Hanover. Don't even start with me on pretzels. :p

No Suarez for me, please. Lalas would be fun for post-game parties. Broome would be OK if he's not a key player. I could see hom and reyes tearing down the wings. But we'd need Nellie and Petke to be healthy to make somethig like that work.

18. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Re: Re: Pretzels

You're forgetting about Stokes he'll be ready by middle next year to play maybe even start.

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Pretzels

Good point. The training wheels will come off now. :p

20. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Pretzels

Don't you mean the leg irons that were keeping him chained to the bench?

21. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pretzels

I hope we don't lose the leg irons, at least the ones I saw keeping him on the bench, because they were called Petke, Nelsen, and Prideaux.

22. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pretzels

What about Ivanov?

23. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pretzels

He'll be the one in leg irons.

Sachin

24. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pretzels

As a central defender, Petke/Nellie/Prideaux kept him off the field, as they likely should have.

As a right back, you're right, I'm more-or-less deferring to the judgment of the people who saw Stokes practice everyday that Ivanov and Namoff were playing better football. When I know more about a player, I'd readily chime in with "put Stokes in in place of Ivanov or Namoff." However, I saw Stokes play 90 against Pittsburgh Riverhounds, Blackburn Rovers, and Virginia Beach Mariners. I didn't see anything in those 270 minutes that would have made me start him in an MLS game at right back over Ivanov or Namoff this year.

So, yeah, I'm assumimg that Stokes wasn't outperforming any of those five in practice. Maybe he was and ol' "I hate youth" Hudson didn't care, but I don't recall getting that impression anywhere else (practice reports, etc.).

25. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Assuming that Nelsen is still here and Prideaux isn't traded or put on the right wing. We don't really know all that much from Stokes because he never played an MLS minute. We don't know how well he adjusts to that level or what he's capable of. I think, under the right coach, he could do well. He's a regular on the U-23 team (along with Carroll), which bodes well in his favor. I say give him an actual chance to see what he can do.