The Off-Season "Near News" and Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to play Devil's Advocate here, let's suppose Ender's national journalist is Jeff Bradley, who has been fairly close with Nowak since his brother was Nowak's coach. As you may or may not remember, JB wrote an excellent send-off in his column when Nowak retired. Perhaps, due to their friendship, Bradley has been tapped to "break" this story.

Also, I have no link for this, but I'm pretty sure I remember in one of the farewell press releases or follow-up articles after Nowak's retirement, it was mentioned that he was going to work on his coaching license.

2. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Look Ender, I'll buy the beer if you win the bet but I am not going to hold your hand during the match!

;)

3. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    My money is on Ender.

And I'll take Nowak and Kubik any day over Etcheverry. I don't care what they did in a past life -- both of those guys ALWAYS played the game like it was supposed to be played and I think both of them would be excellent coaches.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  5. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That's cool. I don't make any bets I can't cover, but I'm still not going to hold his hand!

:D

6. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    When a perfectly reasonable person says, "I KNOW this is something that's going to happen and I'll put my money where my mouth is" you should listen.

Nice call Ender.

7. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I did listen, that's why I took the wager. Pretty boring bet when it just sits there!

Besides, how the hell am I supposed to know that he's perfectly reasonable? Relax, Coltrane.

8. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Hey Lowe, I wasn't dogging you. But there were a lot of other people who called BS.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't know Lowecifer. I think you should hold his hand. Well, that is assuming his wife approves. :)

10. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Maybe I'll hold his wife's hand instead...

11. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Still seems out of the blue. And goes against the grain of who DC has had in the past. I guess the list is pretty short after Ellinger, Rongen, and Yallop have refused the job. Kinnear would be interesting, but he's destined to take over the Quakes. And here I was thinking that there were a lot of good candidates when I can't even name a group of five.

So if Nowak does become our coach and does bad, would we have to keep him for two years so that we don't break tradition?

At least we'll have active coaches during practice.

Plus, Trask would definitely be gone as well.

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am more skeptical of the "happened last week" part than the hiring. Whatever, we're cool.

13. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    Can we share a pretzel? I tend to drink my beers too fast. Perhaps we should all get together and buy multiple beers, Law of large numbers says that we won't run out too fast that way. Also, Lowe, myy wife won't permit hand holding. She is very protective of her little jem! ;-)

14. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    How do you know any of those three were in the running? Is that just who you think the top three were or is there some objective source for this? I suspect that any one of them would jump at the chance to be Freddy's coach.

15. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Those were names being tossed around on this board and by the media. I don't think they were the favorites, but they were all potential candidates for the job. However, all three said they were happy where they were (or were going in the case of Yallop) and effectively rejected DC before being nominated. So yeah, it is a pretty short list if even potential candidates are rejecting the club before being asked.

16. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Maybe Payne's list is a short-one but I don't think it's out of necessity. I'm going to be surprised if MoJohnston doesn't get an IV. I don't think Goff would have mentioned Onalfo unless Curt had said he'd be interested. The only thing I've said in print from Ellinger is that he hadn't been contacted. Last time he publicly declared he wasn't interested (so his failure to do so this time at least implies he's open). Payne talked about college candidates--while I don't care for Cirovski, maybe I'm wrong about him. And certainly Bobby Clarke and a host of others (even if you discount the great recruiters) are in the college ranks. Then you've got the A-league talent--and I think there are a few there who will be gems. The Dallas GM said they had 150 applicants for the Dallas coaching position they hired Colin Clarke for.

17. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    And yet, how many names have been connected with the DC job? I'm not worried about it, but the secretive nature about it all is not very comforting.

18. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Tell you what, come to the tailgates before the match and introduce yourself to everyone and I'll throw in pretzel.

19. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    Ooooh, you drive a hard bargain, mister, but you got a deal.

20. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure it. Because we know everyone conducts interviews for coach in a completely open manner. :rolleyes:

21. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    No, but there were actual names connected with the Dallas job. To my knowledge, only Yallop and Nowak have been named as potential candidates by the club. I think that's pretty odd, considering the hype that comes with coaching Adu next season. Either the team is being tight-lipped about the whole affair because they already have their man or there are a really low number of candidates and they don't want to be embarassed.

22. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Ah....we know Ender's weakness: he's a pretzel slut. Okay Ender, give up your source on this rumor (Nowak and Kubik) for....a big of Rold Gold's!

23. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    Ahhhh nay Lowecifer, I can't be tempted that easily. I am a Philly boy and requre the number eight soft pretzel served cold from the vet parking lot by a man who is selling his wares from a shopping cart and a finger in his nose. That or a box of Honey mustard Snyders sour-dough. Come to think of it, what do you people eat down here? We have cheesesteaks in philly and the only thing in NOVA i have found yet is Chipotle, which is freaking UNBELIEVABLE, by the way. I am a barbacoa man myself.

24. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Again, Payne only tells us something after he's done it.

25. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The image of the Vet vendor is priceless. And I think the Snyders can be arranged--now fess up!

As for the argument that we must be embarassed to reveal how short of a list we have--I don't think so. Technically speaking, I"m not sure who the club has officially mentioned as candidates. But Steve Goff in print or in chats has mentioned: John Trask might get consideration, Mo Johnston, Brian Bliss, Frank Yallop, John Ellinger, Curt Onalfo, maybe a college coach, foreign candidates, and Piotr Nowak. That's not a short list. As for Yallop, he said he hadn't been contacted by DCU was indicating he wasn't interested. Since his priority is the CNT, he doesn't want to mess up talks with them by making it look like he's pulling in DCU to jack up the salary (bad faith negotiating tactic). If the CNT talks weren't ongoing (or he decided against them), who knows what he'd say? But that's probably irrelevant anyway since I think he's under contract to SJ (has signed an extension) so we'd need to ask permission to talk with him and then we'd need to trade something to actually get him. Remember, Bradley cost Faria and a #1 pick didn't he?