The Off-Season "Near News" and Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

Will he be able to push Convey as the coach?

2. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Tell him we love him Chico.

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He Knows. He's told me many times how the fans here are the best. That's why he was so sad to go....

4. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Never stopped Hudson from pushing a player.

5. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
  6. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Sorry, Bergin just reported Yallop is a "no-no, doesn't want the job".

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Bergin also reported that MoJo didn't even interview for the job in Dallas and there was some quote from the Metros saying that MoJo was 100% certain staying in NY.

I don't know ... the practical list sure seems to be dwindling.

8. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet Goff said yesterday, "Johnston apparently didn't interview well in Dallas."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28870-2003Dec2.html

Not that it much matters, but I wonder which it is.

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: ... Note to self ...

Chris Bergin's new pay service likely.

I don't think Goff confirmed they asked Yallop. I think Goff confirmed they were interested in Yallop. There's a big difference.

10. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    I think Goff's right since Bergin recently reported that Mo Jo might be interested now.

11. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    Nowak and Kubik are new dc coaches

Nowak is our new coach and Kubik is his assistant. This took place a week ago. Trust me.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... moderator's note ...

Goff's only reporting now that Nowak is a candidate. So your assertion above remains a rumor. I'm merging it accordingly into the rumors thread.

13. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    Re: ... moderator's note ...

Thanks Knave.
    Sorry, but it ain't rumor, it already happened. Goff can't tell you because it isn't his story. Another writer will break the news.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    If that's the case it just means it's a rumor that'll ultimately prove true. I'm not saying it won't. But right now all we've got is your word and it is a rumor. An interesting one too. I'd rather discuss it freely here than have people jump down your throat for posting a rumor elsewhere on this board. Read the first post here, that's why this thread exists.

15. Catch

Catch New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Strangle, VA
    Re: Nowak and Kubik are new dc coaches

OK, so if this is true we get two former pros with lots of MLS experience. They know how to succeed in MLS and Nowak reputedly has a good rep for nurturing young talent (supposedly Stoichkov did too having taken Beasely and Kovalenko under his wing).

But we also get two novice coaches (I know Nowak hasn't coached, not sure whether Kubok has been an assistant somewhere).

Don't coaches need licenses? Can anyone tell me if these guys have even th most rudimentary qualifications?

Nowak was an offensive force and Kubik a defensive one...could be an outstanding partnership or a complete disaster.

--Catch

16. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nowak and Ivanov

If Ender is right does this mean that Ivanov is safe? And will we see more players from eastern Europe?

17. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    I think that is a good question. It is hard to say just yet, but if I am going to be consistent with my assertiona about the organization, I am sure the front office will have some say in the matter.

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    As I understand it, you do need a license to coach in the USA. However, I'm pretty sure that a UEFA license works here too. I say this because the coach of the Nevada Wonders (the PDL team I follow) is - I believe - only UEFA certified.

More on the licenses: http://www.ussoccer.com/coaches/content.sps?iType=200&icustompageid=5970

All that said, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't licensed appropriately already. I could imagine him wanting the license if only for his soccer academy.

http://www.nowaksoccer.com/about/

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Re: Re: ... moderator's note ...

Uh....

A) Didn't he already tell us about Nowak?

B) If it does go down as you say, you don't think Goff is gonna read the rumor here and perform due dilligence on it? For all we know, he'll run with this by this afternoon.

20. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: ... moderator's note ...

Damn, that TSV Gold subscription is paying dividends, huh?

21. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    Re: Re: Re: ... moderator's note ...

What is TSV?

22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Sandon – Ender’s rumor was posted after the Goff story. The Goff story just says he’s a candidate. Ender say’s he’s been hired.

This is what I gleam from Ender’s posts above. Nowak and Kubik were signed LAST WEEK. Goff knows this but is holding off on the story – I presume – out of some sort of professional courtesy to the guy who’s scoop it really is. I don’t know anything much about journalistic practices. Maybe this is done. I don’t know.

This is what I don’t get. If that’s really the case and all this already happened then why is Goff reporting that interviews will be held over the next couple weeks. That just doesn’t seem to fit with the job not actually being open anymore.

23. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    I don't really know who Goff is, but he is prolly a local guy. He prolly wasn't in the "know" or have the contacts that the big fellas have. He may be getting his info from the club or somewhere.

24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Goff is big name in soccer journalism in this country. I'm positive his contacts on the whole are as good as anyone's. That said, I'd bet there are people with better Chicago Fire contacts.

25. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    OK, but he is Washington Post staff, which makes him a local guy, as opposed to espn or abc or mlsnet or whatever. That is what I meant by big fellas, it wasn't meant as an insult is what i am saying.