The Off-Season "Near News" and Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    But would he be good for us? I don't know much abouth him, but it seems that he would put the right people in power to produce a good team. At least that's my understanding of him right now. We've all seen what the actual result has been with his football team.

2. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Re: Carrieri Waived

Also useful to keep in mind that the top two rated forwards in that year's draft (Carrieri and Curtis) are now both out of MLS. And the top two forwards of the 2002 draft (Gonzales and Fahim) are both out of MLS. It does point out how difficult it is to project college seniors at forward as potential MLS performers.

3. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Joe and other fellow denizens, I think what experience has revealed over the past few seasons is that you should generally only risk a college pick on a guy who has a minimum size of at least 5'10" (Ralph, Jacqua). Consider the cases of Carrieri, Curtis, Gonazlez and Vaca (to date) and compare them to guys like Dauda Kante. Nobody would dare suggest that Kante's skills come anywhere close to the aforementioned, but his size allows him to, using a Hudson homily, like getting hit in the face with a sledgehammer.

I'm not saying that small guys can't make it in MLS, just that their odds are longer than the more physically imposing player. Given two players of equal ability, choose the guy with size. Guys like Freddy with absolutely MAD skill are, of course, outliers and shouldn't be considered in generalizations. Hundred fires and ABMOD came into the league as veterans. Armas is a physically imposing small man. Rimando -- well, I think you all know my thoughts on St. Nick -- a wonderfully instinctive keeper whose reliance on youthful reaction with become increasingly apparent with the passage of time (consider Simo a Fountain of Youth for now, however).

Size and Freddy are reasons to be well satisfied with our 2004 draft.

GM

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. :cool:

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Re: ... Moderator's Note ...

I'll probably close this thing tonight and start up the new thread. I've revised the previously discussed guidelines. That's here if you're interested. They can always be revised later but I added in the stuff about thread organization to get things started.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2264598#post2264598

6. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I guess this is the best place to put this, but I hadn't noticed until today that MLS dropped overtime for this year. Interesting.

7. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy lateness, Batman.

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Rumor has it that Marco Etcheverry will play a few games in the local Bolivian league this summer here in Va.

9. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not just OT is gone -- so is cheatin' bob's fourth sub

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    So long old thread. It was fun, but the season is starting soon and so your time is up ...

The new thread is right here.

- Unstuck & Closed -