The Off-Season "Near News" and Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    But a salary cap raise has made sense for a few years now so until it happens... Past winters have seen debates on raising the cap and as we know they've always turned out negative. If the cap does indeed rise then you have to figure the grand poo-nahs are feeling better.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  3. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Where did that rumor come from?

4. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Waiver Draft tomorrow. Could be D-Day for Etch and a few other DC players.

5. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    where is a list of who has been waived?

6. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    It's not out yet. The list will be out tomorrow,

7. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

so they are waiving & waiver drafting on the same day?

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did news get in this rumor thread? I'm appalled.
    How about an increase in the cap to $2.5-$3 mil and an additonal 2 roster places? Maybe 3 to beef up the teams for the expansion draft.

9. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I considered it near news. There was a possibility that Etch would have been waived and thus in th waive draft. As it stands, the draft itself is near news because no info about it has been released.

10. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

9 players waived. None drafted.

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/mls1125waivers.html

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    This is from The Soccer Show...

Rumor apparently has it that DC United actually wants Nelsen to go to Europe. Why? Because he's an MLS Best 11 and if he leaves the team they'll certainly be owed another allocation. And that'd go a long way to helping procure the quality forward that the team desperately needs.

Again, this is from The Soccer Show and no specific sources were named so it's just a rumor. Still, it is interesting ...

12. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm sure Nelsen merits an allocation, but does anyone besides me think that MLS would be looking for reasons NOT to hand out multiple allocations? If Etcheverry were to leave MLS after essentially being rejected by DC, instead of retiring, it's a pretty thin pretext for the Adu allocation.

To a team that will be getting back all its many injured players, and that will be losing one hell of a salary cap bite while picking up a player making a huge off-the-books salary, would MLS really authorize another allocation? Seems like a distortion of past league practice.

But I'm probably wrong. It's been a bad off-season for precedents.

13. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    i can see the logic, I guess (if I try real hard), to see nellie giving us an allocation but I think the good folks at The Soccer Show and maybe DCU are being overly hopeful. Either that or somehow MLS will look at the departures of both Etch and Nellie as worthy of one allocation- the Adu allocation.

Speaking of allocations, it seems just a matter of time before someone here says that Stoichkov's leaving (we know that's gonna happen) will be worth an allocation also. Nope.

Well lookie here! Someones already done it!

14. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    My apologies... I bow before your superior knowledge of MLS player movement and allocations. :rolleyes:

I mean what kind of moron would assume that the league would totally manufacture a premise for an allocation or cap move around here?

You're my hero Ursula, but I do question your analysis of your own ass. :D

15. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    1. It's not my assessment of my ass. The assessment comes from fellow BSers like you. Folks here like to extend their fantasies beyond soccer. :)

2. And now that I've said that there's no way in hell that Hristo warrants an allocation, just watch MLS award our team one. :eek:

16. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Nelsen would definitely merit an allocation. Etch definitely merits an allocation. No, I don't think Stoichkov would merit an allocation, but he's been around for like 6 years and previously performed on a very high level, so I also wouldn't be too surprised if MLS did give us an allocation for him, despite the fact that we do not deserve one for him.

DC United has had multiple allocations before, and the league essentially only let us use one (Stewart) and used the other (Ivanov) more like a discovery pick. Every team gets two discoveries, and I think those will be sufficient to pick up the forward(s) that we need.

Nelly is a good player and a reliable player, so I want him to stay. We don't have an SI problem at present, so if he can be re-signed for a reasonable sum, we should keep him.

I've had quite enough of Hudson's smoke and mirrors players. Until someone is signed sealed and delivered, he should keep his mouth shut. No more talk about mysterious South Americans.

If Nelsen is Hudson's captain, and Hudson stays, I'd sincerely hope that Nelsen is making a bigger contribution off the field than he is on it, and that Hudson would recognize that and want him to stay.

-Digital

17. Hezbolt

Hezbolt New Member

Jun 4, 2001
    La Norte
    RUMOR!!!!!!!!!

Rumor has it.....

1) ray may be gone as of today or tomorrow

2) DC has approached Yallop about taking Ray's spot

This is a rumor right now

18. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That's a hell of a rumor. I'm wondering why Yallop would make the switch.

1. Two cups with SJ is enough?
    2. Chance to shape Adu
    3. Unfinished business [2000]

Curious

19. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or he thinks the Canadian National team is hopeless????? I thought Yallop was heading North.

If DCU is going to make a move they said it would be after Thanksgiving (and they gotta make a move soon so new person can get here and get going).

K

20. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you mean "nearly the same as the precedent set by MLS giving one to Colorado for El Pibe last year?" -- both are former MLS league MVPs who are the top two in the league history in assists (with Etchverry getting the edge on cups won and goals scored) whose teams didn't want to bring them back even though the player insisted he would keep playing.
    If Nelsen goes now, while under contract, MLS would get a transfer fee -- doesn't that generally merit an allocation of some sort?

21. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Wow, if we get Yallop...........Wow.

22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... Note to self ...

Hmmm ... Hezbolt seems to have a pretty reliable rumor source. All of this has now been confirmed by Goff.

24. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm meeting with Marco tomorrow. I'll try and get his take on Ray getting sacked, his time playing for the Bolivian Nats and his future. I'll post here tomorrow night.

25. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Technically, Hudson's not getting the sack. They're just not renewing his contract.

Any bets on the new coach being Stoichkov? ;)