The Off-Season Near News and Rumors Thread :: Part I

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paddyhokie

paddyhokie New Member

Jun 7, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Re: The Off-Season Near News and Rumors Thread

I love how he whiffed on punching the ball out of the goal mouth and punched Nellie in the grill instead. Rimando is downright scary on corners and good/decent crosses. I don't think Perkins is a long term solution either but he seems to be a slight upgrade for the present. We definitely could use an upgrade to our GK position but I would think defense would be an even bigger position of need (especially since we more than likely won't re-resign Nellie).

2. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Yeah I was surprised that Rongen didn't pick Q2 also. But then think of it: Q2 has some holes: he's slow and small and his right foot is completely alien to him. If we knew the Chivas players that his team is importing, maybe Q2 would just be an unneeded duplication for for Tom.

It's great that we still have him. He gives the best midfield in MLS (even without Stewart) great depth. He also allows us to entertain trades of him or another midfielder to get help on the defense.

3. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli

Ellinger seemed focused on "young American" talent after selecting Williams. I didn't really expect him to select Q2 as a result but Chivas seemed to be on the look out for Latino talent available at the begining. I guess in the end they took several players based solely on talent and not their heritage.

Anyway, I hope that Q2 proves his worth this year and really shines when he gets a chance to play.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

It's funny. Immediately after the draft I thought both teams drafted about evenly, and that neither team drafted optimally. I still don't think either one drafted optimally, but now I'm convinced that RSL had the better picks. My back of the envelope calculation says that RSL's picks average just about 1 1/2 years younger than those by Chivas. The youngest picks by Rongen are from 1981, but Ellinger picked three from 1982. RSL also has a very balanced picks with no real holes. They're getting the pieces together. Maybe Chivas has an ace in the hole with all the guys they'll bring in from Mexico, but who knows.

Now here's the thing that's relevant to this thread. Rugman is right. What's up with Chivas not picking Walker? Are they really going to bring in a goalkeeper from Mexico? That just doesn't make sense to me. You've gotta think something is up, and I have to wonder if they're not eying Rimando for a trade.

5. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

Martins, Scott and Brenes are foreign. Kamler isn't young, and Brown is 27. Pierce is 25, but he's been around for four years. I think he knows only two (Countess and Akwari) from the youth national teams. So really less than half of their players are both young and American.

Well, they did take Perez and Ziadie...

So do I.

6. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

God, I hope so.

7. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Adu got an assist (from all accounts, nearly a goal) and a goal on a PK in the US U-20s 2-1 win against Mexico.

Of interest, El 'Tri' got 3 players sent off, 1 for stomping a US player after a foul and 2 for pushing and verbally assaulting the ref after the US PK was awarded (by all accounts the PK was warranted)

8. roachboy

roachboy New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Baile atha cliath

Two words: Kasey Keller. Talking in the media in Englad all the time about how he would be happy to 'go home'.

9. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Chivas Guadalajara seems to be leaning towards having its #2 goalie (Alfredo Televara) play for Chivas USA. At Chivas Guadalajara, he is stuck behind current Mexico #1 goalie Oswaldo Sanchez. The Goats plan for Chivas USA plan looks to be one in which some over-the hill vets (i.e. Ramon Ramirez) to give the team a few players which whom they can identify will be joined by a bunch of their younger reserve players (filling TI slots). All in all, it sure looks like a reserve team for the Goats from the South. Sprinkle in a few MLS vets with Latino (i.e. De La Torre) and/or California ties (i.e. EZ) and presto - you have a MLS team that will evoke passion among a lot of the Mexican community and hatred among the rest of the league. With 4 SI and 5 TI slots comprising the majority of a team's starting line-up, the Goats plan could develop into the model for foreign team investment in MLS.

Bring this point back to Rimando, I do not see him traded to Chivas USA. Kevin Payne made the point at the MLS Cup Fan Celebration that Rimando was the best goalie in MLS. While you would expect your President to make those sort of comments, Payne was accurate in terms of his other "MLS-best" comments about the players (i.e. Nelsen = best defender, Moreno = league MVP) so I assume that he thinks very highly of Rimando. Only a Keller-type player from outside MLS would be viewed as an upgrade.

10. PSG Stunna

PSG Stunna New Member

Jul 16, 2002
    Darkness!!!

I would be perfectly happy having Kasey Keller in the net in DC if we needed a keeper..

11. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

The only issue is that he would miss a lot of time with National Team duty as well as eating up a lot of cap space. He would also count as an allocation, which he should, but I think we could put that allocation to much better use.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  13. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Re: ... Mastroeni Being Traded? ...

Let's see...

Thompson (P-40 with lots of potential, but not likely to get much playing time with us. Could be a good target for Spencer if he stays.)
    Kovalenko (to replace the experience and toughness that Pablo has)
    Quintanilla (another largely superfluous player)

14. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA

Who would turn down Pablo but aren't Olsen and Carroll handling that midfield area pretty well for us?

15. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rimando fan here going back to Fusion FC. But if the goats want to give up major Superdraft picks for him, I'd take that deal. As much as I like Nicky, he has a few holes in his game, namely dealing with crosses/commanding his box that keep him from being a protect-at-all-costs keeper. In addition, there are many keeper options in the league.

16. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

Pablo has played in central defense before. I don't know how he'd work in a 3-5-2, but Nelsen adapted to the switch from d-mid pretty well...

17. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

Yeah, but at 5'10 he would be better on the outside not in the middle of a 3-5-2.

However I think it might be New England that is going after Pablo.

18. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002

Don't they already have their D-mid set as either Joseph or Dempsey? And in defense don't they already have Franchino/Llamosa to take Pierce's place?

Actually, I can imagine this trade happening.

19. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

Pablo is expensive and is going to miss a ton of time next year with the U.S.

I'd rather keep Carroll and Olsen who are probably about the same price as Pablo and will be missing less time next year for call-ups.

20. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA

I agree.

Although, I think Ben should be given a shot with the U.S., he deserves it.

21. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000

It seems to me we were hampered by many fewer lost games to injuries (OK so don't say that to Qs1&2 and Martins) and also fewer players lost to the national team. That counts for developing chemistry.

All of that said, Pablo would be a welcome addition if Nellie is a goner. But there's no reason to fix one problem by creating another - and that's what would happen if you mess with our midfield right now. We have an allocation coming and we have a lot of cash on hand.

So Pablo's not going to be the fix if a player trade is involved. Now if we could trade cap-space for him, then maybe. Can teams still do that or has that stopped?

22. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, we probably lost the same number of man/games lost to injury this year, we just piled up most of that stat on Tino, Q2, and Martins. Among the players that played the most time this year, we likely lost more games to suspention than to injury.

23. Birdman

Birdman New Member

Feb 13, 2003

From inside sources rumor has it that Dema Kovalenko has asked D.C. to trade him back to Chicago. As much of a loss it would be to D.C. it gives him the opportunity to live in his home that he owns in Chicago and he has always loved the huge Ukranian population.

24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

On a scale of 1-10 (1 being the average BigSoccer.com hack, 10 being Nowak, Payne, or Kasper) how would you rate your source?

True or not, it's certainly imaginable that Chicago would go for this. They're expected to clean house this off-season. They've got a couple defenders who I'd think DC United would be interested in.

Nowak did try to trade him last off-season. And I don't think Nowak is a fan of the disciplinary problems.

And if we're going to trade anyone Kovalenko is one of the most expandable and most valuable players we have to offer.

25. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli

oh, can we get BigBird? How cool would that be?

:rolleyes: