The Ocho

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Patrick167, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Right. Jamaica has played 4 road games and only 2 home games, right? They still have a real chance.

2. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We played them at ES already. First game. 0-0.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  3. DaniChandler

DaniChandler Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Panama Canal
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Panama has 4 home games against direct rivals… El Salvador, Honduras, Jamaica and Canada.

Jamaica will host Mexico, Costa Rica and USA… If that’s an easy path for them in next months, how come they were at the bottom of the table until yesterday?

Calling BS repped this.
  4. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    When did we tie Panama at home? We'll play Panama in Mexico on February...

Getting a tie against Canada at home was a failure, and that game was horrible. Mexico hasn't played well in none of the games, just a bit of the Honduras game and the first half against ESA, but they're just getting results. Not sold on Martino at all.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry it was Panama at home to Mexico.

Three and Three repped this.
  6. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Politically El Salvador are closer to USA than Mexico, so I’m not surprised by this

7. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My god you are one salty dude

8. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ridiculous btw, 12 would fit the win at home draw on road narrative. More than that is just not to be expected

Calling BS repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm really not surprised by much so far in this Ocho.
    We saw in the Gold Cup that El Salvador is a tricky opponent. Hugo has them playing about as well as can be expected.

My only surprise is Honduras, of course. They can usually be counted on to put up a real fight. Their talent level seemed down prior to the Ocho, but they usually put up a big fight. They have a lot of character as a group. But its just not happening for them.

If you told me at the start of the Ocho that we'd be in 2nd place after 6 games, with at least a 5 point cushion over Costa Rica, Honduras, Jamaica, and El Salvador...............I'd have taken it in a heartbeat.

I think we're about to see some coaching changes for teams in the bottom half. Just hoping for a bump. El Salvador will stick with Hugo I think, but let's see what happens with Honduras, Costa Rica, and Jamaica.

Pegasus repped this.
  10. fishmonger

fishmonger Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    El Salvador has a complicated relationship with the US, as does Mexico. Call it a love/hate relationship if you will; they want to come here, they have family here etc, but can't also ignore past and present slights. ES went through some brutal times and the people know very well the US role in that. This is true in much of the region to some extent. OTOH, when I have visitors from Latin America ( my wife is Colombian and has friends all over down there in various countries ) they often want to see Philadelphia and the landmarks of the Revolution, a seminal event in the history of the Americas ( the other would be the Haitian uprising, which was also inspiring ). In fact a common view is that we are all Americans of the Americas, and we share more in common than we differ. And that really is true, despite language differences. Of course they share much in common with their former colonial rulers as well, much like we still have a special relationship with the UK, they share that with Spain, Portugal, and France ( and in some places Holland ).

11. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it really depends what happens next window, especially against Mexico. More than any other team they have the ability to beat us at home. Win that game and then I'll feel assured.

12. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When playing Mexico in the US, the USA is the "home" team in name only.

Winoman repped this.
  13. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not for qualifiers. Friendlies, Gold Cups, yes. But those Ohio games are usually 90 percent red white and blue.

14. hoys

hoys Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah. The U.S. will be the home team in every sense of the word next month in Cincinnati.

ifsteve and RefIADad repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Even if we draw that Mexico game at home, I'll still be really confident.

Yes, we have some tougher road games in the 2nd half of the ocho.
    That also means we have an easier home schedule as we'll have gotten Mexico, Canada, and Costa Rica out of the way.

And if this ocho keeps progressing in the current manner, I'm not sure if our "house of horrors" game at Costa Rica on the last day will actually matter.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  16. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just saw the El Salvador red card. I'm still wondering how both Jamaica fouls against US were not red as well.

Marius Tresor and Winoman repped this.
  17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The eight people in my prediction contest had us with a mean of 14.75. I had us with 14 with draws at Honduras and Panama. The mean for our last eight games was 15.375, so rounding to the nearest whole number and adding what we have now makes 26. I predicted us to get 26, and the other seven people predicted at least 28. The mean for third was 23.375, and the mean for fourth was 19.75.

DaniChandler repped this.
  18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because one match had an extremely experienced MLS ref who will probably be at the World Cup and the other had a guy scared to death in his first WCQ.

ifsteve, Marius Tresor, RefIADad and 3 others repped this.
  19. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8-1 loss to Honduras,man.
    Hopefully the new guys have forgotten.

20. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    They were so scared of Central America that they outplayed Mexico at the Azteca last week. I dont think they’ve recovered.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Thoughts after that game last night.

1) Our oldest starter was younger than Costa Rica's youngest starter.

2) So Costa Rica needs an overhaul. But they've done poorly at the most recently held U23, U20, and U17 CONCACAF Championships. In fact, our backup U23 team beat their best U23 team (or near to it) at the Olympic qualifiers. At the most recently held U20 championships we beat them 4-0 on goals by Llanez, Mendez, Akinola, and Juan Pablo Torres.

So there seems to a program wide malaise with Costa Rica at the moment.

One of their real problems across these youth events has been Canada surging. Canada knocked them out of the most recently held U17 CONCACAF Championships.

I think Costa Rica is still in contention for 4th in the Ocho, but they look inferior to the top 3 in the region right now. At least. They'll probably fire their coach and hope for a bump in the 2nd half of the campaign.

22. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The referee in the Mexico El Salvador match referree-ed the game rationally. He was handing out yellows and reds all night for both teams' dirty play.

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamaica rotated v. the US to be better the next two matches, didn't have their lineup figured out, or players became later available in the window. Because they made a few switches - Grant, Roofe, Fisher, Flemmings. They'd been saying last window Grant is valuable.

I was dead wrong about Honduras. They haven't had some key players available, but there's been a disconnect between youth and senior performances. Like Costa Rica, haven't made that transition, or they're not translating.

Nobody can say there haven't been surprises in the Ocho. Many teams have displayed multiple personalities, so we need more time to learn which is their main one.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the first half.

25. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Jamaica coach isn't going anywhere. He bought himself at least another window with that Honduras win. Here is what that win means to Jamaica:

1. First win in the final Round of World Cup Qualifying since 2001 (yes, it's been a generation).
    2. First time getting back to back clean sheets in WCQ since 2008
    3. First win over Honduras in Honduras in WCQ (we don't win there, EVER)
    4. First time scoring 2 goals in a WCQ since 2013
    5. First time scoring 2 goals in an away WCQ since 2004

Can't fire Tappa after all this. He'll be safe at least through the November window now.

IndividualEleven, EvanJ, DGreat and 7 others repped this.