The OC

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by alexia_donovan, Oct 25, 2003.

1. iman

iman New Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Tucson, Az, USa
    no there are brown faces in costa mesa and santa anna.

2. LOGM

LOGM New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    so what if the show does not consist of "minorities"...does it really have to?

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    It doesn't have to. But just as it would be silly to have "Dallas" without Texans or "ER" without nurses, one has to wonder the point of setting a show in a real locale if the depiction of the locale isn't based in reality.

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Exactly. And like "Fraggle Rock" without Fraggles, Doozers and Gorgs.

5. Waingro

Waingro Member

Feb 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    And Big Soccer without B.S. :)

Seriously, I've seen the show a couple times and I don't remember them showing anybody of significance outside of the main characters, so there hasn't been much opportunity for the writers/directors to show their depiction of the racial makeup of Newport Beach. I'm sure once they start showing school scenes or scenes from a mall, they'll throw in a few minorities just for good measure.
    In fact, the school's principal is Asian isn't she?

6. alexia_donovan

alexia_donovan New Member

Aug 9, 2003
    USA
    This Week's Episode

here it is....

**It's a Thanksgiving day to remember as Seth tries to choose between Summer and and Anna, meanwhile Ryan decides to pay a visit to his brother in prison and Marissa tags along!**

Does anyone know when the season finale will air??

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll air sometime in May, when all the other shows end.

8. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We get to see The O.C. on Monays here in Canada.

*** Minor Spoiler ***
    The Thanksgiving episode was rather funny, as Seth tries to juggle Anna (who he invited to Thanksgiving dinner) and Summer (who just shows up on her own).
    *** End Spolier ***

9. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Since I won't be able to watch it give me a better spoiler than that. Tell me what happens.

10. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I keep coming back to bigsoccer. The posts are just wonderful. I laugh until I cry and my stomach hurts.

The show is so bad. The brunette is the hottest one and the lead blonde isn't that good looking. But the show is lame. A few funny lines here and there. But I only watched a few of the first episodes, nothing since.

"You're from Chino?....Eeeeewwwwwwww"

11. alexia_donovan

alexia_donovan New Member

Aug 9, 2003
    USA

aahhh well that's nice. thanks for sharing...

12. snowsuit

snowsuit New Member

Oct 1, 2000
    san diego
    adam brody / seth is a cutie. he should go for anna. she's way hotter (and more stylish and smart and funny) than lame-ass summer. summer looks like every third girl at the mall.

13. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Show Summary...............

Spoiler coming...............

Don't read if you don't want to know.............

The show starts with the parents and the two sons preparing for Thanksgiving. Running joke is that Mom can't cook worth a damn so the guys make a pack to keep her away from cooking. This attacks her feminity and is a running joke throughout. Regardless, the parents try to play matchmaker by putting together the next door neighbor felon dad with the hot, always hitting on the father at the law firm attorney. Regardless, they are both uncomfortable until a later moment wherein they share their love for ESPN classic and how they both didn't know they were getting set up for Thanksgiving. Later hot attorney wants to get together with exfelon sometime but ex felon says he doesn't know if he is ready yet. Marissa is supposed to go visit Mom for Thanksgivin but ends up going with the guy from Chino to Chino as his brother called. (brother called to ask him to do a favor for him while he is in prison or he will pretty much be shanked). Regardless, Anna comes over and the interaction between Anna and the biological son are really funny. Both the parents are really really impressed with Anna and give the son the congratulatory pat on the back. Regardless, in Chino illegitimate son has to run an errand (drop off a hot car) to pay off brother's debt. Meets up with ex girlfriend that he just left in Chino and picks up car from ex-girlfriends brother. Uncomfortable moments between Marissa and ex girlfriend. Regardless, Chino boy used to do musicals and in particular played Snoopy in a Charlie Brown play. He runs the stolen car over to a chop shop, and the people his brother is in debt to tries to beat his ass. With a distraction from Marissa who followed him, he punches one of them and gets away relatively unscathed. Meets up with brother again, and they say there goodbyes forever. (brother in jail knew this was coming). Regardless...back at the house........

The Mother's dad was supposed to get together with Marissa and the neigbor's wife. Unfortunately, they f'ed up the food order...so they have no food. So they decide to drop in on there daughter and son in law. Problem is this brings together the two soon to be divorcees where they exchange pleasantries about the fact that there daughter is missing. Cute Mom who works in suburban development goes on a drinking binge as Thanksgiving is going down the shitter.

Brunette comes over.....Anna is upstairs in Seth's room. Summer goes to pool house. Dad runs across Summer and lectures son to be a man and choose. Seth can't choose so... Seth runs from one room to the other making out with both a lot. They both are all over him. Through all the chaos, mom burns the turkey...everyone runs to the kitchen due to the smoke alarm. Anna sees Summer they both go ballistic. Dad laughs...mom jokes about him being a late bloomer. Grandpa has a smile of pride. Classic stuff. Regardless, it ends with the two returning from Chino. Parents relieved(marissa's), joking with seth about his two timing and the mother passed out from her drinking binge. Everyone eating chinese food.

That is it..... Someone kill me.

14. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    The unintentional comdedy is off the charts with this show. When I watch it I have this stupid grin on my face, I mean, how can you not?

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I hate to nitpick for language but it really bugged me so please excuseme. You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

16. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your letting your personal bias show skip. ;)

:D

It's a TV show and a nighttime soap at that. Reality goes out the window.

17. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I know what it means. I just reread the post. Sorry about the many instances I used it inappropriately. I was in a bit of a hurry to move away from the show summary of the OC and into more important matters like the MLS Cup or Politics and Current Events. Regardless, I will try hard to use it more approriately in the future.

18. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Orange County is Scottsdale with asians and a beach.

19. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Spoliers for theis week's episode...

[SPOLIERS]
    Ryan and Luke are chosen by a teacher to work on a school project together. Ryan meets Luke's family, a typical rich suburbanite family, precocious kids, loving mom, and dad that takes lots of "business trips".

Ryan and Luke head down to one of Luke's dad's auto dealerships where they see the Dad and his business partner (a dude) making out.

Luke and Ryan are obviously flabbergasted, and Luke trips over a car, setting off the alarm and alerting the dad to their presence. They hightail it out of there, with Luke making Ryan swear not to tell anyone.

Of course, Ryan tells Marissa, and eventually everyone in town knows about it. The jokes and gossip are rampant, and eventually the rival high school soccer team finds out about it and proceeds to gay bash Luke.

Ryan and Luke have to fight their way out of the predicament.

Seth also manages to apologize to both Anna and Summer (who are new best friends, bonded by their mistreatment by Seth), and ends up being hit on by both ladies.

Sandy finds out about Jimmy and Kirsten's kiss from a few episodes back.
    [/SPOILER]

Like someone else said above... kill me.

20. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks for the great updates!

21. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No problem... I had some time to kill in between writing papers :)

22. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
  23. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  24. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Bump

Christmukkah rocked! :p

I think that the writers knowingly make this thing overblown. They definitely know that this is a "guilty pleasure" show.

I know I'm hooked.

[​IMG]

25. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Wonder Woman!!!!!!