The Obi Mikel Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. augietx

augietx Member

Feb 17, 2005
    TexAS
    People sure you want a player like this little twit?
    I wouldn't want to see his punk azz anywhere on the pitch on any game I watch. I got a word for this type of buggah...

People made such a big deal of Essien. I don't think he plays in any special way over at Chelsea.

2. flash1316

flash1316 Member

Nov 27, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you'll still want him. SAF won't take any s**t from him and will waste no time making a professional out of him. How many primadonnas have ever come out of United? The only one wasn't really even a primadonna. He turned out a very mature and responsible adult who happens to do lots of modeling gigs and is the most famous player in the world. Look at it this way he won't turn out worse than Beckham. And he's one of the most talented players his age in the world. The amount of talent he has is evidenced by how two of the biggest teams in the world are playing a game of very dirty tricks and are stooping very low for his signature. In the WYC he was exactly as impressive as Lionel Messi. And Messi is making a case to start for Argentina in the World Cup not to mention Barcelona. Mikel is just as essential to United's future.

3. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    The real question was how many primadonnas were brought into, and succeeded at, Manchester United during the reign of Alex Ferguson? Kanchelskis was a hit for a while, but got sold because of - amongst other things - his ego; Beckham, Yorke & Sharpe were not too different.

Look at our most successful players of the last 20 years (off the top of my head): Bruce, Irwin, Schmeichel, Robson, Ince, Keane, Cantona, Giggs, Beckham, Solskjaer, Scholes, G. Neville, van Nistlerooy. Cantona was known to be tempermental before he joined us (and indeed afterwards), but gave everything to his employers. Beckham was quite similar, but lost most of his drive after being named England captain (imho), and hasn't been the same player since. none of the others had big egos or could be labelled primadonnas.

And we have played no dirty tricks, so get your facts straight before making assumtpions, thank you very much.

4. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh Billy! You must be getting emotionally attached to this issue. Usually so objective and intelligent.

You're assuming that Obi's claims of signing against his will are false.

I dunno what the truth is. I'm not really bothered if he comes or not either.

This comment on the Sun site is DUMB:
    "On one hand, you have a club who buy finished-product mercenaries with no discernable youth project whatsoever, on the other you have a club with the best reputation in the world for polishing raw young talent"

I can't even be arsed to explain why it's a crock of ******** - anyone who can't see for themselves is a LOONY.

5. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I highly doubt there is any truth behind those comments, he hardly seemed to be taking the situations seriously whilst giving them (iirc, he was actually smiling and laughing). He didn't seem to have any issues about signing with us whatsoever, until he (and more to the point, Shittu) got offered more money by Chelsea, then every little last excuse comes out of the book, despite the fact that:

a) Lyn and Man United had agreed a fee for his services.
    b) Man United had agreed a contract with him. No doubt far more than he was making at Oslo.
    c) He showed up at a press conference, basically as a Man United player... numbered jersey, Ferguson by his side, press in tow, and all.

I am honestly doing my best to be objective in this situation, but I cannot get my head around how Shittu & Mikel may actuallly get away with their antics. I blame Chelsea, but only to the extent that they saw a quality youngster and decided to have a go at getting him... Mikel is a bit of a scapegoat in this, but it's not like he is some little child, at 18 he is only a matter of months younger than me and should know better (afterall, I didn't try to get into one college after being accepted into another, because the way the system works here... you can't do that. Simple as). Shittu is a prime example of why agents' powers need to be reduced and possibly even abolished in favour of a union-type system... they not only represent, but enforce and advance everything that is wrong with the game.

Why even listen to anything the Sun have to say? IIRC, their headline tomorrow is that Ruud is quitting Old Trafford (wait for a 'SKY IS FALLING!!' thread by some newbiew here tomorrow).

6. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree with everything in the first part of your post.

The second was a comment written by a United fan on the link posted further up.

7. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Ah right, kind of spaced today for some reason. I'm guessing the guy reckons Ronaldo or Howard is our best player, whoever and wherever he is. Trust me, in typical Chelsea fashion, you lads have dodged a real bullet in terms of not having many thick posters on these boards.

Enjoy ZANI though... it's scaling back when it became a Chelsea fan already... it used to be 2003, "after we sold Beckham (AKA: after Peter sold the Bridge)," but recently I've seen him say it was in 01 or 02... give ZANI a few months and it will be telling you of the glory days, when Jimmy Greaves and Ozzy Ardiles formed the greatest strike partnership in league history at "The Old Shed Ground" as Chelsea, founded by Peter Kenyon the previous year in 1950, went on to win the Premiership, partly due to the great work of young fullbacks Jose Mourinho & Roman Abramovich, "pulling the strings down the wings", as their lawyer put it the following weekend.

8. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You mean Tim Howard is not the best player at Manchester United?:(
    You're just jealous because Americans are good at everything, even your sport, which we will perfect! HAHAHAHAHA
    AHAHAHAHAHA
    AHAHAHAHAHA
    AHAHAHAHAHA
    Azriel, get my coat! :mad:

9. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Well he is... we just don't know it yet. :D

10. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    Ah, the good old days.

11. Token

Token New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Obi's agent denies 'smuggling' cash

By Osasu Obayiuwana
    BBC Sport

The agent of Nigeria midfielder John Mikel Obi has told BBC Sport that he never intended to flout Norwegian currency regulations.

John Shittu was fined over US$1,500 at Oslo Airport for bringing over US$39,000 - ten times the allowed limit - into the country on Tuesday.

But he told BBC Sport that the media attention over the incident was a "storm in a teacup."

"I am surprised about the media attention over the incident," he said.

"I took the money in order to sort out some matters with my clients.

"With my name being splashed across the Norwegian newspapers, after the dispute between my clients - Mikel, Chinedu [Ogbuke] and Ezekiel [Bala] with Lyn Oslo, I would be stupid to deliberately do something that would put me in trouble with the authorities here," he said.

Shittu, who insisted that the money found on him was earned through legitimate business activities, told BBC Sport he was unaware of the country's currency regulations.

"When I arrived at Oslo, the customs people questioned me and I did not hesitate to tell them the amount that I had.

"When they told me the amount had exceeded the limit of what I could take without declaring it, they told me they would have to inform the police.

"After they came and we talked about the situation, they gave me the option of going to court or paying a fine and I opted to pay the fine," Shittu told BBC Sport.

The agent travelled to Norway to visit his three clients - Obi, Chinedu Ogbuke and Ezekiel Bala - Lyn's Nigerian trio.

Shittu insists Obi, who won the Silver Ball at the World Youth Championship in Holland, does not want to complete a transfer to Manchester United.

Fifa's Dispute Resolution Committee will decide on Obi's future, after they have received written submissions from Lyn, Manchester United and the player - who is represented by London law firm Russells - by Friday.

12. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey Sepp, when you're done with Piveteau, how's about suspending this guy?

You would also be stupid to try and get a signed contract overturned, but that didn't stop you now did it?

So he is trying to say that he, John Shittu - a relatively bigname agent - was unaware of regullations regarding carrying undeclared money into the country where many of his clients play? Alright, that's the left nut... now try pulling the right one, John.

Yeah, and Michael Jackson settled out of court because he was 'innocent' :rolleyes:. Why can't this guy just find a fire and jump on in?

Manchester United, Lyn Oslo, and contract law insist they don't give a shit.

The last Friday in October... of 2013. Seriously, how many times have we heard this, while Blatter and co. procrastinate on whether or not to take the gamble and do their all to fuck us over yet again?

13. Crumpsalldave

Crumpsalldave Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    near your mum
    sick of hearing from this noob.

14. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    :mad:

15. MANUTDGAL

MANUTDGAL New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Framingham, Mass.
  16. GrodZilla

GrodZilla Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Does anyone know where I can find a torrent of the Nigeria - Argentina U-20 final. I have heard that Obi Mikel was very good but I havn't been able to find it anywhere so far

17. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Yu'd have to Maxxed torrent site and ask someone to reseed. That is long dead as a torrent as it is over 3months old.

----

In other news.. the Norwegian league finishes in 3weeks time... Expect more bollocks from this saga then.

18. GrodZilla

GrodZilla Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thanks, I tried that but they have closed registration on their forum.. well just have to wait I guess.

-------

And yes the Norwegian leauge ends in 3 weeks, but I think that we have seen the worst of this already. Since Chelsea have been keeping a very low profile I suppose they recognize that they don't have the rules on their side and i believe that FIFA will rule that way as well. Once FIFA has ruled I am sure that he will accept coming to us since there will no longer be any reason for his agent to hassle him about Chelsea..