"The Norwegian Wonderkid"- The Official Welcome Martin Ødegaard Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by -Fifth CharM-, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has been a bumpy road for Odegaard, but it's good to hear him reiterate his desire to return and succeed here. His contribution will be essential going forward. Whether he had a poor mentality or not in the past, we need him badly. As of right now, he's the only added piece to our woeful attack.

BjornH, Anon., PigBenis and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sure, just as long as he does better than his most recent outings with Arsenal, which weren't anything to particularly write home about

3. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If it wasn't already obvious, Odegaard is staying. As it stands, much of my hope for this coming season rests on his shoulders. Ideally, Ancelotti will be the one to help him reach his full potential. Carlo the #10 whisperer

Lyra, PigBenis, Ahmadi8 and 2 others repped this.
  4. pramod

pramod Member

Realmadrid
    Sep 4, 2006
    Hyderabad @ India
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    it is just a matter of time that if arsenal comes with a good offer and Perez would be up for a snappy sale.

5. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yea, like 100 M. [emoji23]

pramod and Anon. repped this.
  6. ratheesh7k

ratheesh7k Member

Feb 18, 2010
    India
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think this will be the breakout season for Ode. We need to use Modric effectively this season with Ode starting for less critical matches..

7. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm looking for really good things from a few players this season, Martin, Rodrygo, Fede and Eder, start to rebuild and renew that spine somewhat, Mbappe, if it were to happen would be icing on the young cake

Drouchk and Bear Crotch repped this.
  8. pramod

pramod Member

Realmadrid
    Sep 4, 2006
    Hyderabad @ India
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    in that case, Perez would give Isco or Marcelo free, buy one get one free offer.

9. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Zizou took so much heat about how he handled this dude last season and now it seems he wants to leave anyways. :whistling:

YOUNGSTARS87 and J-Mezzy repped this.
  10. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was never on the Odegaard hype train, and unfortunately it's the only reason he's here because Flo tries to jump on that train everytime it passes.

There was never a plan for the poor kid, it was all about bragging rights for Flo at the time because he was on every big clubs radar. At this point as long as the club can sell him at a profit it is something Flo can also spin as a "win" and there are bigger transfer disasters to worry about so the club can't really spend alot of P.R. trying to salvage something out of him when Hazard is sucking up all the air out of the project.

11. Fuera del Juego

Fuera del Juego Member+

May 10, 2007
    Nevada
    I had high hopes when he was blossoming at La Real, so I'm somewhat sad to see him go, but if he doesn't want to fight for a spot at this point, I have my doubts as to whether he will ever be mentally tough enough for Madrid, so I guess it's best to cash in now. I would have liked one more year, but if Madrid knows that Ancellotti doesn't have him as a rotation piece, then there is no reason to wait.

My one worry is if he is friends with Halaand and if so, how this would affect our pursuit of the latter. Though maybe letting him leave is better than keeping him and potentially letting him get bitter.

12. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    I had high hopes too. Remember I was the one saying why buy that obvious Ajax bust (Manchester did ahaha) when we have Odegaard who should be able to transition to a Modric type player with hardworking and commitment.

Problem is the guy's rating on FIFA for commitment, hardworking, character, resolve, etc is a 0.

13. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    The whole stay and fight for his place is overrated. Young talented players just have to play and develop man.

benny_madridista repped this.
  14. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Keep that same energy when it is done to Aresnal lol.

Smh, you're a Madridista now man. Embrace who you grown to become. Out with the old and in with....

Shay Z and Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  15. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    If they are good enough they do. If Odegaard can’t beat out Isco or a 36 year old modric or an equal in age of Fede in they eyes of the coach for minutes, what does that say about his talent?

Modric had to fight to get his spot, and is now world class. He was good a spurs but I think having to compete here made him better.

Odegaard wanted it handed to him, based on one good season at Real.

ThePlayBook repped this.
  16. Fuera del Juego

Fuera del Juego Member+

May 10, 2007
    Nevada
    #2141 Fuera del Juego, Aug 18, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    And I hope he does. I wish him nothing but the best.

But he's turning 23 this Fall, has played in La Liga (and had a great season pre-injury), played at Madrid, played at Arsenal. We currently have Kroos out for a while, a 36 year old Modric, Isco, Valverde (who's the same age) and maybe Rodrygo (who is younger) if you see him as a mid. If you look at that group and think to yourself "I'm not going to get enough playing time to develop," then I'm not sure Madrid is your destiny. At the very least, he has to think that he can beat out Isco and Rodrygo for minutes in the midfield, and if he does, that would give him good opportunities given the age/injury history of our midfield.

I'm a little sad he's leaving as I had high hopes (esp. when he was at La Real), but if he loaned him out again, he's likely just going to come back next year to a reinforced midfield. This year was when he needed to seize his chance and stake his claim before the Kroos/Modric generational turnover.

Toro70 and J-Mezzy repped this.
  17. benny_madridista

Real Madrid
    Nov 30, 2020
    I wish nothing but success to him, not really his fault it didn't work out with us.
    Even though I believe there might be non-footballing reasons for his departure, getting consistent game time can only be good for a player his age and we couldn't guarantee that to him here.
    This is a bunch of nonsense considering Modric played over 2000 minutes in La Liga alone in his debut season for us.

Nathanial Essex repped this.
  18. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Odegaard got a ton of minutes through various loans to develop. I think he isn't the same player due to his injury condition since La Real loan. Club probably saw that and not as high on him as they were before. I remember Flo saying Odegaard will be a star at RM in couple of years after his impressive season in Holland.

Ajax wanted him without buyback and we loaned him to La Real. He started playing like a star too and won La Liga player of the month awards. Then Real Sociedad made him play through that injury and his performances also dipped. He's been having nagging issues since. I think that coupled with the difficulty to integrate a #10 nowadays made ZZ/Carlo pass on him. He has weak mentality as well.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  19. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Honestly, I think you can both agree that Zidane didn't get the most out of the entire squad, and that the player probably isn't as good as people might believe he is.

RMSocrates, ahnaf, PigBenis and 5 others repped this.
  20. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    Ugh, I hate these posters questioning his attitude and him not wanting to fight for a spot. I think it's clear that Ancelotti and Zidane have made it clear to him he's not part of their plans so why not seek a move elsewhere?

He turns 23 in the next few months and hasn't completed a full season for his parent club. All he wants is stability so he can get his career up and running. He's no spring chicken and at this age should be starting for some a club.

I'm just sad that he's going to Arsenal because his start is not guaranteed and there are a dead club.

Lyra repped this.
  21. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    Beat out Isco and Rodrygo for minutes? They hardly play themselves!

22. Fuera del Juego

Fuera del Juego Member+

May 10, 2007
    Nevada
    At least one of them is likely to play in every game for us in the next few months, often both I'd suspect if Rodrygo plays on the right of the top 3 at times.

Like I said, I'm not upset with him for leaving for Arsenal and I really wish him all the best. But if he doesn't judge that he can get in the team now, I just don't see him ever getting in (barring a big leap). Our midfield is relatively thin now.

23. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    No manager can get the most of of a squad.

Zidane squeezed everything he could out of the team he was given multiple times. While people like you ripped him for not playing trash players or being against selling other bad ones.

Reality has proven Zidane did the best anyone can do.

Odegaard? He didn't even try.

petros93 and ThePlayBook repped this.
  24. RMrules

RMrules Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 12, 2019
    Disapointing that he never got the chance to play for the club after all the hype ,but at the same time he is too slow for our style of play imo (James had the same problem).Im just not a fan of this policy of signing "talents",very little succes

25. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Fully agreed, he simply doesn't possess the mental toughness required to become successful at a club like Real Madrid. I was actually very high on him, and still think he's very talented. But if you don't have the slightest of fighting spirit in your body, then you can't do anything as a club. Even if he becomes a superstar in the EPL, I won't blame the club for this one. It would be unfair.

Good luck at Arsenal, I guess.