The Norway thread

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Bauser, Jul 1, 2015.

1. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Vålerenga have LSK and Rosenborg in August and that will be a good reveal on their season. If they can pull points from those matches they'll be deep in a wild lead pack with LSK, Rosenborg and Sandviken.

Another Røa game lost to goalkeeping, I saw they signed Josefine Ervik and wouldn't be surprised to see her in action next weekend. There's more to Røa's nightmare run than just a problem between the pipes though. The highlights from the previous week were a dozen Sandviken attacks and two Røa penalty kicks. When you have five goals in five games and four were penalties, and you can't even get an attack highlight in 90 minutes of a game then your attacking is obviously broken.

Lyn are a wonderful breath of fresh air and I almost fell over when I saw them go up 2-0. I'm not sure they self-destructed as much as LSK turned up the heat. I mentioned earlier that's what it will take to have success against them, the ability to match that consistent intensity. I don't think LSK are anywhere near as talented as in the past, but that competitive culture is as strong as ever.

On deck next weekend:

FRIDAY
    Røa - Avaldsnes
    Vålerenga - Kolbotn

SATURDAY
    Klepp - Lyn
    Sandviken - Rosenborg

SUNDAY
    LSK Kvinner - Arna-Bjørnar

Rosenborg are the only unbeaten team left but sit back in bronze position and Sandviken will be looking to teach them losing. Should be the match of the week.

59Amerinorsk, Bauser and blissett repped this.
  2. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Yes, she tends to do that. Actually, I think have seen Madsen do a double or triple flip earlier, but I can't find the proof on film.

PS: Medkila have started very well this season with four straight wins and are joint leaders of the level 2 league. They look strong enough for another promotion to Toppserien. Medkila play Stabæk away on Saturday, which is the ultimate test this season and the benchmark for promotion chances. Another win there, and I can't see what could stop Medkila. :coffee:

Yes, Lyn have surprised me. All the negative press they've received from everybody, that they would be easily relegated, seem to have triggered them. On the other end of the scale, Arna Bjørnar have disappointed me. I had them in fourth place, but it looks like a very bad prediction right now. Very much like Røa, they are toothless in attack. When midfielder Meryll Abrahamsen has to play striker and the two first choice wingers are unproven and sub 18 year olds, it tells a lot about a badly composed squad.

blissett repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Go, Polar Circle! :ninja:

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  4. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    How is Melissa Bjanesoy doing so far?

5. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    When is Sophie Haug gonna get a NT call-up? :cool:

6. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    When is Sophie Haug gonna get a NT call-up? :cool:

7. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I haven't seen Stabæk play this season, but she has scored 3 goals in the first four matches.

8. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Rosenborg's Cesilie Andreassen has been voted Toppserien's Player of the Month for July.

Jury's verdict: She has been totally decisive to why Rosenborg have kept up with the top teams at the start of the season. She has influenced the team with her presence and contributed with four goal points from her midfield position.

[​IMG]

9. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    TOPPSERIEN 2020 – 6th Matchday

Vålerenga 1 – 1 Kolbotn
    0-1 Eline Hegg 9
    1-1 Celin Bizet Ildhusøy 86

A strong defensive performance by Kolbotn who continue to pick up points here and there. This is the fourth match already this season that Vålerenga have been forced to come from behind, but this time they couldn’t repair the damage and escape with all three points. Eline Hegg gave Kolbotn an early lead after taking advantage of a clumsy communication problem between goalkeeper and defender. Vålerenga kept pressure on Kolbotn for most of the match, but only managed a late equalizer from Celin Ildhusøy, who headed home Sherida Spitse’s long ball into the penalty box. Kolbotn’s goalkeeper Siri Ervik had a splendid game, easily the best player on the pitch on this hot summer evening in Oslo.

VIF (4-2-3-1): Seabert 4 – B.Pedersen 5 (Pinto -), Sigurdardottir 5, Waldus 5, Tomter 6 – H.Hansen 5 (Stefanovic 4), Spitse 4 – Ildhusøy 6, Jensen 5, Madsen 5 – Njoya 4.

KOL (4-3-3): Ervik 7 – Nordahl 5, Hørte 5, S.Haugland 5, B.Lund 5 – Eckhoff 4, Pedersen 4 (Fridlund -), Holmen 4 – Myrseth 4 (Elvebakken -), Klæboe 5 (Pirisi -), Hegg 6 (Christiansen -).

# 0 # 0 # 0 # 0 # 0 # 0 # 0 # 0 # 0 # 0 # 0 # 0 # 0 # 0 #

Røa 0 – 1 Avaldsnes
    0-1 Elise Thorsnes 16
    SO: Olaug Tvedten (Avaldsnes) 87

Elise Thorsnes was back in the starting line-up with a match-winning goal after serving her three match suspension for elbowing Noor Eckhoff of Kolbotn in the face. Her goal was well set up by Rash Ajibade, who has had a strong start to the season. Røa’s nightmare continues. One third into the season and still rock bottom on the table with zero points. Rebecka Holum, their best winger, broke a bone in her foot this week and is out for weeks. This was a tense match with emotions running high. Referee Fatemeh Zangeneh dished out seven yellow and two red cards. The pressure is getting to experienced Røa coach Geir Nordby, who was sent off for foul mouthing the referee.

RØA (4-2-3-1): Nilsen 4 – Lyshoel 4, Masdal 3, Aabel 4, Harviken 5 – Jørgensen 5 (Haugen -), Birkeli 5 – Espås 4 (Fuglem 5) (Suphellen -), Huseby 5, Terry 6 – Fjelldal 4.

AVA (4-3-3): Esson 7 – Dahl 5, Decker 6, Polkinghorne 6, Utvik 5 – Tennebø 5 (Enlid -), Gorry 4 (Norheim -), Tvedten 6 – Jøsendal 5, Thorsnes 6, Ajibade 7.

Klepp 1 – 0 Lyn
    1-0 Marthine Østenstad 12

Klepp were far more dominant than the scoreline suggests. Lyn had very little to offer on the day, and their usual underdog warrior spirit was broken down when Klepp scored so early. Centre-back Østenstad headed home a precise corner from Aleksandra Sikora, which turned out to be the winning goal. Elisabeth Terland wasted a few more chances for the home team, which could have cost them dearly had Lyn converted their only scoring chance midway through the second half.

KLE (4-2-3-1): Gay 5 – Sikora 7, Østenstad 7, T.Hansen 6, Jensen 5 – Stanton 5, Andresen 5 (Aune -) – Rogde 6 (Hayes -), Terland 6, Bjørnsen 7 (Skretting -) – H.Hansen 5.

LYN (4-5-1): Odden 6 – Tunes 4 (Bølviken -), S.Jensen 5, Olsen 5, Closs 4 – Palm 5 (Bækkelund -), Hernes 4 (Foslie 5), Tandberg 4 (Aahjem -), Søyland 5 (Bakke -), Godø 5 – Linberg 5.

Sandviken 1 – 3 Rosenborg
    0-1 Marit Clausen 22
    1-1 Lisa Naalsund 45+2 (pen)
    1-2 Julie Blakstad 45+3
    1-3 Sara Fornes 90

With Rosenborg bagging three points away at Sandviken, they can no longer be regarded as an over-achieving fluke team. Rosenborg are the real deal this season, but few people drew that conclusion when they held LSK to a 1-1 draw in the season opener. Top scorer Marit Clausen scored her sixth goal today after picking up an awful back-pass from Kristina Grøndal. Coach Steinar Lein now has a luxury problem. Clausen can’t be benched the way she is playing now, and Lisa-Marie Utland has been pushed out to the wing instead, a position she can’t fill properly. Celine Nergård is better equipped for that position with her speed. What will Lein choose to do in the big game vs Vålerenga next week? Sandviken lost defender Malin Sunde this week to Brøndby. She terminated her contract. The former U19 Norway captain got tired of warming the bench and will now try her luck in Denmark.

SAN (4-4-2): Bogstad 5 – Grøndal 3 (Ryland 6), Stenevik 4, Bergsvand 5, Hjelmhaug 4 (Veglo -) – Veivåg 3 (H.Jensen 5), Spord 5, Naalsund 6, Hasund 4 – Cordner 6, Brochmann 5.

RBK (4-2-3-1): Nøstmo 5 – Næss 6, Bragstad 7, Vårhus 6, Minde 6 – Sørum 6 (Engesvik -), Joramo 7 – Utland 4 (Fornes -), Andreassen 7 (Døvle -), Blakstad 5 – Clausen 6 (Nergård -).

LSK Kvinner 2 – 1 Arna Bjørnar
    1-0 Emilie Woldvik 10
    1-1 Kristina Erman 64
    2-1 Emilie Haavi 68

The televised match this afternoon became a tighter affair than most people predicted, but ended with another LSK win of course. Attacking full-back Woldvik scored the opening goal from almost no angle. Arna Bjørnar dominated possession wise during certain parts of the match, and their equalizer after a corner mid-way through the second half was well deserved. LSK have flirted with an unfamiliar 4-4-2 system in some games this season, but switched back to their usual 4-2-3-1 system when Isabell Bachor was subbed in after Arna Bjørnar’s goal. LSK quickly took over again and Emilie Haavi scored a fine winning goal after some nice teamwork.

LSK (4-4-2): Norstrøm 6 – Dahlström 5, Røstbakken 5, Gausdal 5, Woldvik 7 – Wilmann 6, Vanhaevermaet 5, Ellingsen 5, Haavi 8 – Haug 6, Löfwenius 5 (Bachor -).

A-B (4-3-2-1): Micah 4 – Brummel 5, Gloppen 5, Lövgren 4, Erman 5 – Nygard 6, Bjelde 5, Abrahamsen 3 – Ervik 4, Laupstad 5 (Jåstad -) – Rijsdijk 4 (Sunde -).

toppserien2020_06.jpg

TOP SCORERS
    6 – Marit Clausen (Rosenborg)
    5 – Ajara Njoya (Vålerenga)
    4 – Sophie Haug (LSK Kvinner)
    4 – Julie Blakstad (Rosenborg)
    3 – Rasheedat Ajibade (Avaldsnes)
    3 – Elise Thorsnes (Avaldsnes)
    3 – Emilie Haavi (LSK Kvinner)
    3 – Mimmi Löfwenius (LSK Kvinner)
    3 – Camilla Linberg (Lyn)
    3 – Lisa Naalsund (Sandviken)
    Show Spoiler

2 – Eline Hegg (Kolbotn)
    2 – Marit Bratberg Lund (Kolbotn)
    2 – Andrea Wilmann (LSK Kvinner)
    2 – Emma Godø (Lyn)
    2 – Sara Fornes (Rosenborg)
    2 – Linn Huseby (Røa)
    2 – Maria Brochmann (Sandviken)
    2 – Kennya Cordner (Sandviken)
    2 – Vilde Hasund (Sandviken)
    2 – Sherida Spitse (Vålerenga)
    1 – Meryll Abrahamsen (Arna Bjørnar)
    1 – Kristina Erman (Arna Bjørnar)
    1 – Rikke Nygard (Arna Bjørnar)
    1 – Hanna Dahl (Avaldsnes)
    1 – Robyn Decker (Avaldsnes)
    1 – Andrea Norheim (Avaldsnes)
    1 – Olaug Tvedten (Avaldsnes)
    1 – Ylinn Tennebø (Avaldsnes
    1 – Sofie Bjørnsen (Klepp)
    1 – Isabella Hayes (Klepp)
    1 – Nicole Stanton (Klepp)
    1 – Marthine Østenstad (Klepp)
    1 – Synne S. Christiansen (Kolbotn)
    1 – Julie Hoff Klæboe (Kolbotn)
    1 – Ina Gausdal (LSK Kvinner)
    1 – Justine Vanhaevermaet (LSK Kvinner)
    1 – Emilie Woldvik (LSK Kvinner)
    1 – Hedda Foslie (Lyn)
    1 – Trine Skjelstad Jensen (Lyn)
    1 – Cesilie Andreassen (Rosenborg)
    1 – Lisa-Marie Utland (Rosenborg)
    1 – Rebecka Holum (Røa)
    1 – Katrine Jørgensen (Røa)
    1 – Celin Bizet Ildhusøy (Vålerenga)
    1 – Rikke Madsen (Vålerenga)
    1 – Marie Dølvik Markussen (Vålerenga)
    1 – Ingibjörg Sigurdardottir (Vålerenga)
    1 – Dejana Stefanovic (Vålerenga)

ASSISTS
    2 – Hanna Dahl (Avaldsnes)
    2 – Olaug Tvedten (Avaldsnes)
    2 – Elisabeth Terland (Klepp)
    2 – Cathrine Dahlström (LSK Kvinner)
    2 – Emilie Haavi (LSK Kvinner)
    2 – Nora Eide Lie (LSK Kvinner)
    2 – Una Søyland (Lyn)
    2 – Cesilie Andreassen (Rosenborg)
    2 – Celine Nergård (Rosenborg)
    2 – Kennya Cordner (Sandviken)
    2 – Lisa Naalsund (Sandviken)
    Show Spoiler

1 – Marije Brummel (Arna Bjørnar)
    1 – Linnea Laupstad (Arna Bjørnar)
    1 – Rasheedat Ajibade (Avaldsnes)
    1 – Ylinn Tennebø (Avaldsnes)
    1 – Elise Thorsnes (Avaldsnes)
    1 – Aleksandra Sikora (Klepp)
    1 – Noor Eckhoff (Kolbotn)
    1 – Sara Hørte (Kolbotn)
    1 – Emma Godø (Lyn)
    1 – Camilla Linberg (Lyn)
    1 – Iselin Olsen (Lyn)
    1 – Heidi Ellingsen (LSK Kvinner)
    1 – Sophie Haug (LSK Kvinner)
    1 – Mimmi Löfwenius (LSK Kvinner)
    1 – Andrea Wilmann (LSK Kvinner)
    1 – Emilie Woldvik (LSK Kvinner)
    1 – Emilie Bragstad (Rosenborg)
    1 – Emilie Joramo (Rosenborg)
    1 – Kristine Minde (Rosenborg)
    1 – Mali Næss (Rosenborg)
    1 – Ina Vårhus (Rosenborg)
    1 – Guro Bergsvand (Sandviken)
    1 – Celin Bizet Ildhusøy (Vålerenga)
    1 – Rikke Madsen (Vålerenga)
    1 – Ingibjörg Sigurdardottir (Vålerenga)
    1 – Sherida Spitse (Vålerenga)
    1 – Andrine Tomter (Vålerenga)

TOP 10 – NTB PLAYER RATINGS
    6.83 – Cesilie Andreassen (Rosenborg, attacking midfield)
    6.75 – Sophie Haug (LSK Kvinner, forward)
    6.67 – Emilie Woldvik (LSK Kvinner, left-back)
    6.67 – Emilie Haavi (LSK Kvinner, winger)
    6.67 – Lisa Naalsund (Sandviken, central midfield)
    6.40 – Ajara Njoya (Vålerenga, forward)
    6.33 – Tuva Hansen (Klepp, centre-back)
    6.20 – Julie Blakstad (Rosenborg, winger)
    6.00 – Nora Eide Lie (LSK Kvinner, central midfield)
    6.00 – Andrea Wilmann (LSK Kvinner, winger)
    6.00 – Kennya Cordner (Sandviken, forward)
    6.00 – Vilde Hasund (Sandviken, winger)

NEXT MATCHDAY
    12 Aug: Røa – Vålerenga *
    ---
    15 Aug: Arna Bjørnar – Lyn
    15 Aug: Klepp – Røa
    15 Aug: Avaldsnes – LSK Kvinner
    16 Aug: Kolbotn – Sandviken
    16 Aug: Rosenborg – Vålerenga (on NRK)

* Re-scheduled game from Matchday 14 in early October when Vålerenga will prepare for Champions League qualifiers.

59Amerinorsk, Lechus7, law10 and 4 others repped this.
  10. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Good analysis, I watched varying parts of all the games and that's a good representation of what I saw.

Interesting next three games to close the first half of the season:
    • LSK has Avaldsnes, Vålerenga and Kolbotn
    • Rosenborg has Vålerenga, Avaldsnes and Røa
    • Vålerenga has Røa, Rosenborg and LSK
    Vålerenga has the toughest go against both Rosenborg and LSK. It could be LSK and Rosenborg in the breakway pack after everyone has played each other once.

Rosenborg were up 1-0 and their keeper Kristine Nøstmo pulled one out of the top corner. Had it not been a world class save the game is 1-1 and a different animal, and likely outcome.

LSK with back-to-back unflattering one-goal wins over Lyn and A-B and it only gets harder for them now with the following on deck: Avaldsnes, Vålerenga, Kolbotn, Sandviken and then Rosenborg.

Funny I thought Geir Nordby has mellowed and the card was a bit of a surprise. Well, kind of. The referee was over her head and random, but it's hard to take points when your keeper is killing you and as a team you turn the ball over pretty much every minute.

A lot of parity and some good games on deck this weekend.

Wednesday:
    Røa/Vålerenga

Saturday:
    Klepp/Røa
    Arna Bjørner/Lyn
    Avaldsnes/LSK
    Kolbotn/Sandviken
    Rosenborg/Vålerenga

11. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    TOPPSERIEN 2020 – re-scheduled game from the 14th Matchday

Røa 1 – 2 Vålerenga
    1-0 Linn Huseby 22 (pen)
    1-1 Rikke Madsen 52
    1-2 Ingibjörg Sigurðardóttir 90+1

Things go from bad to worse for Røa. Tonight they suffered a bitter injury-time loss against an under-performing Vålerenga team. Seven straight defeats from the start of the season is the worst in Toppserien since 2016 (Urædd had 12 then). Four out of five Røa goals this season have come from penalties. I repeat myself yet again with these Vålerenga come-backs, as they went behind for the fifth game this season. Sherida Spitse set up Rikke Madsen with a nice threaded pass for the equalizer early in the second half. Ajara Njoya had an effort against the post late in the game. In the dying seconds, substitute Marie Markussen crossed the ball into the box to Ingibjörg Sigurðardóttir at the far post, who blasted it into the roof of the net to keep Vålerenga’s title hopes alive. A very important goal from a mental point of view before they travel to Trondheim to play Rosenborg in the televised game on Sunday.

RØA (4-2-3-1): Nilsen 5 – Lyshoel 4, Masdal 3, Aabel 5, Harviken 4 – Jørgensen 4 (Fuglem 3) (Espås -), Birkeli 6 – Glorud 4 (Suphellen 5), Huseby 5, Terry 4 – Fjelldal 5.

VIF (4-2-3-1): Seabert 5 – B.Pedersen 3 (Markussen -), Sigurðardóttir 5, Waldus 5, Tomter 4 – H.Hansen 4, Spitse 6 – Ildhusøy 6 (Thomsen -), Jensen 5 (Stefanovic 5), Madsen 6 – Njoya 4.

toppserien2020_06b.jpg

59Amerinorsk, law10 and sbahnhof repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, I can see that Vålerenga barely squeezed a win out of a game that they were supposed to easily dominate, but, man, the guys implementing this new "player ratings" thing in Toppserien are harsh! :eek: A winning team gets five 5 marks, three 4 marks and one 3 mark: just three passing grades in the whole team! Although the other team didn't look better, you have to wonder how on earth Vålerenga managed to win, with those marks.

13. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Personally, I didn't watch the full Røa-Vålerenga game tonight, so I can't comment on whether the player ratings were accurate or not in this particular game. I've noticed complaints on social media from various people in some games about certain players getting a far better/worse rating than she deserves, but I guess it will always be like that. With this player ratings system tested in six full matchdays now, it sure takes a lot to get a really good rating. We haven't had many 8 or better.

In my opinion, I think NTB have most problems evaluating the performances from central/holding midfielders. Goalkeepers, centrebacks and forwards are more "visible" when they do something good or bad.

59Amerinorsk, blissett and law10 repped this.
  14. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Røa had a good first half and the scoreline showed it, up 1-0. The second half was Vålerenga's and their ball movement was far better. Their first goal was taken well enough but they were fortunate in that the keeper was badly out of position and she has a signature move of not being set when she's shot on so she's unable to dive for a stop. Same thing on Elise Thorsnes goal last game. She may well be a good keeper one day but by the time it happens it will be too late and they will be relegated.

Røa had a grade A chance for the draw on the last play of the game, I think it was a ball over the top to Espås on the edge of the six but she wasn't able to get it on net.

Synne Jensen got the hook at half-time, so obviously something amiss there considering what she can bring to the table when she's firing on all cylinders. Come to think of it, the U19 team she played on also had Tomter, Markussen and Hansen. A really talented team that won every group game and their quarter and lost a tough game to Spain in the semi's. But in this game today (six years later) the entire group received 4's and 5's? Ouch.

59Amerinorsk, Bauser and blissett repped this.
  15. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    #1890 Bauser, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Interesting perspective. That Norway team could well have won the Euro title on home soil, but Caro Hansen and Ada Hegerberg for whatever reasons, chose not to participate. I believe because they already had established senior careers in 2014. Their clubs probably wouldn't release them for a youth tournament.

Where are the Norway players from that team now?

GOALKEEPERS
    Cecilie Fiskerstrand (Brighton & Hove Albion, 29 senior caps)
    Aurora Mikalsen (Newly signed for Tottenham Hotspur, not capped at senior level)

DEFENDERS
    Marit Clausen (Rosenborg, currently top scorer in Toppserien. Not capped at senior level)
    Ane Sund Walsøe (Retired because of endless injuries.)
    Andrine Tomter (Vålerenga, 16 senior caps)
    Tuva Hansen (Strong start to the season at Klepp. 3 senior caps)
    Cecilie Redisch Kvamme (West Ham United, 3 senior caps)
    Inger Katrine Bjerke (Retired at top level. Never capped at senior level)

MIDFIELDERS
    Lisa Naalsund (Strong start to the season at Sandviken. Not capped at senior level)
    Vilde Bøe Risa (Key player at Kopparbergs Göteborg. 31 senior caps)
    Sigrid Heien Hansen (Vålerenga, not capped at senior level)
    Sara Johansen (Fart at Level 2 league. Not capped at senior level)
    Karina Sævik (Paris St. Germain, 16 senior caps)

FORWARDS
    Synne Skinnes Hansen (Injured at Linköping. 20 senior caps)
    Synne Jensen (No goals this season at Vålerenga. 24 senior caps)
    Marie Dølvik Markussen (Vålerenga, not capped at senior level)
    Camilla Ose (Grei at Level 2 league. Not capped at senior level)
    Johanne Fridlund (Kolbotn, not capped at senior level.)

16. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    I've always wondered if it was them choosing not to participate or the federation taking the high road and having them focus on senior. It turned out to be a major decision because the tournament was won by the Netherlands with Vivienne Miedema carrying them and scoring 4/5 goals in the semi and final (who had already played senior like Hegerberg and Hansen).

And perhaps even further impact as it may have been the trigger to the Dutch rise as a couple years later the Netherlands women won the senior Euro.

Norway got their revenge of sorts in World Cup qualification the following year by beating them in group and forcing the Dutch into the playoff.

sbahnhof, 59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  17. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I found an article in Aftenposten from 2014 about this topic.

It says Ada Hegerberg, then in Turbine Potsdam, (but on her way to Lyon), turned down the offer to play for Norway in the home U19 Euros. Caro Hansen made the transfer from Stabæk to Wolfsburg that summer and her priority was to win a starting spot for the German club. That U19-tournament was simply bad timing for both of them.

blissett, 59Amerinorsk and law10 repped this.
  18. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Good finds.

blissett and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  19. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    without Hegerberg, too! :cool:

law10 and blissett repped this.
  20. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Wonder what Norway’s chance if they had her against England.

21. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Although Hegerberg's absence might have been a factor against England, I believe Norway's subpar performance in that particular game was more due to coach Sjögren's poor non-rotation policy. He wore out the same players in game after game in the French heat and didn't trust his bench. England rotated heavily in that World Cup and had players with much fresher legs at the QF stage. Let's hope Sjögren has learnt from this World Cup, and that he needs to use his squad better at the next tournament.

59Amerinorsk and law10 repped this.
  22. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Given the right coach, the right integration of her personality and the full team accepting her, who knows how far they could have gone. But it probably also needs to be mentioned that it's not beyond the realm of possibilities they could have been worse with her. The last tournament she wore the red, white and blue the result was pretty disastrous. They were last in their EURO 2017 group, three straight losses and no goals in any games.

23. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    True, but Norway lost the four or five best midfielders through retirement and injury leading up to Euro 2017, and Sjögren still couldn't find room for Guro Reiten even if she was available and ready. The midfield was in shambles and Ada didn't get anything to work with. I can understand her frustration at that tournament. Let's say, everything that could go wrong, went wrong at Euro 2017. Thankfully, the team have come a long way since that disastrous summer.

24. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    We have seen increased TV-ratings for the live Toppserien matches covered on NRK this year compared to earlier years. Well over 100 000 viewers for some of the early season July matches, often with kick-off in the afternoon. Not exactly prime time for attracting big audiences, and certainly not during summer. Encouraging numbers, I would say. (It's actually around the same amount of viewers as many of the men's top league matches in Norway get, although they are on a smaller TV-channel).

Toppserien clubs are allowed to have 200 spectators for each game during this pandemic situation, but some of the smaller stadiums can't even have 200 seats available when certain sections and seat rows are closed off to accommodate the required distance between individual supporters. So we don't know what the actual attendances would have been, but these tickets have been selling fast, especially at clubs like Vålerenga and Rosenborg. When society opens up again, I suppose these two clubs will be leading the way on the attendance table, where there is big room for improvement in this league.

sbahnhof and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  25. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    This comment hit the nail on the head!!!! This really contributed a large measure to their lack of success that tournament ; now, they have a very promising midfield!