The Norway thread

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Bauser, Jul 1, 2015.

1. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Expressen (Sweden) have an interview with Sjögren where he says pretty much the same. When his contract was prolonged he and Klaveness agreed they would have a check after the Euros and see if they where on the right track for the WWC. And since they where so far from that he found it natural that he should leave.

2. PortiereNuovo

PortiereNuovo Member

Jun 20, 2019
    I think it might be useful to pick someone with a proven record of winning tournament competitions. An outside the box approach might be to look at someone from the US college side. Someone like Mark Krikorian comes to mind, as he also has pro and a bit of intl experience, and really got the most out of his sides in tournaments. He's probably not available because he just took a front office role with the Spirit, and I'm not sure that anyone in Europe would look at US college coaches, but I think building a squad to win a tournament is a different skill set than winning a league.

Bonnie Lass and jnielsen repped this.
  3. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Quiet days in Norwegian woso in-between the sacking of Martin Sjögren and the appointment of his successor.

LSK have been busy on the transfer market recently and signed a few new low cost players in an attempt to save the season. Katrine Winnem Jørgensen (ex-Røa) is brought back to Norway from Brøndby. She can play in central defence or midfield. Another signing is Klara Rybrink, a Swedish centre-back from Kristianstad.

Rikke Nygard will not extend her contact with Vålerenga. She is now rumoured to be on her way to Brann. Brann's key players Guro Bergsvand, Tuva Hansen and Elisabeth Terland, all in the Euro squad, have received offers from abroad and are pondering what to do next.

59Amerinorsk, Bonnie Lass and JanBalk repped this.
  4. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    It is and that are probably a large part in Sjögrens failure.
    But I think to work well as Norwegian WNT coach you need someone to understand the Norwegian League and can work together with its teams, which is quite similar to most other European Leagues so anyone that have worked in one should have no problem with it.

59Amerinorsk and Bonnie Lass repped this.
  5. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Does anyone know what Sjogren was making per year? Or a solid guesstimate?

Mark Krikorian was making $450,000 a year at Florida State before he left. I forgot how ungodly much D1 schools pay their coaches and I wondered how it stacked up against the national team.

Krikorian's spoken for, as mentioned above, but I went down one of my usual wormholes last night, looking up coaches and records and stumbled on his salary.

blissett repped this.
  6. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I can't find a link to confirm, but I have read somewhere Sjögren's annual basic salary was roughly €170 000 around the time of the 2019 World Cup. There might have been bonuses or payrise involved later, but certainly not in the range of what Krikorian made at Florida State.

Bonnie Lass and blissett repped this.
  7. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Thanks! Yeah, Krikorian was probably one of (or the) highest paid women's soccer coach in the U.S. I need to verify, but I'm pretty sure Sjogren's salary was more near what the *average* D1 coach makes, with the perennial Final Four contenders making more.

Well now I want to know what other nat team coaches make. Hrmph. The googling never ends.

blissett repped this.
  8. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Gerhardsson, Sweden:
    2018: 1 225 022 kronor
    2019: 1 320 400 kronor
    divide by 10 to get it in Dollar or Euro (roughly)

Bonnie Lass repped this.
  9. nightofrefs

nightofrefs Member

Jun 1, 2010
    While I don't have anywhere near age encyclopedic knowledge of coaches like others on this thread, I still vote a strong YES for one of the all time greats, Hege Riise.

As we just saw with the Mark Parsons-Netherlands disaster, communication style and culture are crucial elements for any coach - Parsons' success in the NWSL did not translate to much of anything for an international powerhouse like Oranje. >:[

And what does 'outside the box' really mean in terms of value for a team? I think understanding the players and being able to get the best out of them is what matters more. The potential is already there in Norway, there is no "outside" or alternative strategy needed.

Klaveness, if you are reading (most doubtful): HEGE!

If that sounded blindly worshipful, I don't care who knows it: I would be thankful if Hege stepped on my foot and spilled coffee on me.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  10. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
  11. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Those salaries are abysmal. I mean, Norway's spending more than Sweden (not that it helped) but those are still pretty, uh tame.

I also come from a place that pays high school American football coaches $90,000-175,000 a year, so there's that.

Sarina Wiegman with England is reportedly making around £400,000. But that's just one source (Daily Mail).

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  12. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I wonder what's taking so long. It's now 11 days since Norway bombed out of the Euros against Austria and Klaveness knew the Sjögren era was over, even if that wasn't communicated to the public. More than two weeks since the England fiasco which might have prepared her for what's coming. In just over five weeks Norway play Belgium in the crucial WC qualifier in Brussels. The squad needs to be picked some three weeks from now.

I mean, if Hege Riise was the chosen one, wouldn't she be announced by now? Already employed by NFF and this year's U19 project is over. She is not tied up elsewhere.

The longer it drags on, it looks more likely that a third party is involved. Like a head coach at club level who needs to be bought out of his contract.

I'm guessing Vålerenga's Nils Lexerød. :coffee:

13. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Unless they don't want the announcement to get buried under the Euros coverage.

They (Sjogren, NFF) got ripped to shreds by just about every news outlet in Norway after the England defeat. If I were Klaveness, I'd want to make sure the new coach unveiling receives the proper amount of attention.

That could go for either a Riise announcement or a new-new coach announcement. I also imagine contracts take some time.

14. nightofrefs

nightofrefs Member

Jun 1, 2010
    #3064 nightofrefs, Jul 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    I am sure new national team coaches are a complicated process involving many meetings with admin., team leaders, then salary negotiations, etc. Which gives me time to start a Riise petition online.

Also, if Klaveness wants to clap back at Qatar - it would a nice touch to have a non-straight woman at the helm.

It's https://twitter.com/nff_info if anyone wants to add their 2 cents to the Norwegian FA twitter feed.

15. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    NFF will announce the new Norway head coach (and the assistant coach) by the end of next week, according to Nettavisen. Klaveness will not comment on candidates until a decision is made.

Gut feeling right now:

Hege Riise (+Monica Knudsen as assistant), 60%
    Nils Lexerød, 20%
    Somebody else, 20%

Klaveness has a huge network in the women's game, so I'll need to have a 20% window open for an outsider. She has the potential to launch a name not previously associated with Norwegian woso.

16. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    Wasn't there a rift between Knudsen and Isabell Herlovsen several years ago whereby Herlovsen would not play for Knudsen at club level? If true, was that rift primarily about Knudsen and her personality/interaction with players (or was it unique to Herlovsen)? Just a wee bit concerned that if Knudsen assumes a role as asst. coach for the national team and she butts heads with players, that would not be a good thing.

17. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Emma Hayes would only be charmed to do so AFTER she wins the Champions League.

18. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Yes, it was. I believe that was more caused by Herlovsen and her lack of motivation in the twilight years of her career. During that time she was commuting 100 km one way to every training session and had fitness problems. I don't know any other cases with Monica Knudsen having problems with players.

19. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I hate to say it, but after learning Sjogren's salary, my excitement and hope completely died. I just hope whoever they hire doesn't embarrass us at the WWC.

20. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    What did you expect? :D Sjögren's salary was roughly the same as the best paid politicians in the country. About the same as the Prime Minister, Jonas Gahr Støre. The Norway MNT coach Ståle Solbakken makes much more though. At least the double, may be more.

JanBalk repped this.
  21. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    A little ambition?

22. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Well, we don't know what the new head coach will be paid yet. There might be a substantial pay rise for what we know. On the other hand: A well-paid coach doesn't necessarily deliver better results. There are plenty of examples in football history when you feel he (usually a he) just wasn't worth the money.

23. AndyHE

AndyHE Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I'd rather they start paying the players more before inflating the coach salary.

One of the biggest capitalists and all-around scrooges in Norway, Olav Thon (he's rich cos he doesn't really spend money; I heard a story where he'd driven his car until it was a rusted hulk, then when finally convinced to get a new one he got a three-year old Hyundai or something cos he'd done research and determined that was the point where a used car gave the most value for money), capped the salaries of his hotel managers at around what Sjögren made. His reasoning was he wanted them focusing on doing their job, not investing their money.

59Amerinorsk, JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  24. nightofrefs

nightofrefs Member

Jun 1, 2010
    In a fiercely egalitarian nation like Norway, is a huge salary even a motivation for any new national team coach?