The NiteClub Three

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by BridgeMonkee, Aug 2, 2002.

1. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The Verdict

Chelsea stars cleared

Chelsea defender John Terry was cleared off all charges relating to a late-night brawl at a London nightclub.
    The star, who was alleged to have hit a bouncer in the face with a bottle, left the dock in tears.

Terry, 21, team mate Jody Morris, 23, and Wimbledon's Des Byrne, 21, faced charges of affray in relation to the incident at The Wellington Club in
    January. All three were cleared of affray.

Terry was also charged with unlawful possession of a weapon and was accused of unlawfully wounding doorman Trevor Thirlwall. He was found not guilty
    on both counts.

Des Byrne was found guilty of possessing a bottle as an offensive weapon and was fined £2,000. He faces 45 days in prison if he defaults on the fine.
    He was ordered to pay costs of £1,000.

There were shouts of "Yes!" from the public gallery as Terry was cleared of all charges.

Members of Terry's family, who were in the gallery, also burst into tears.

Sentencing Byrne, Judge Fabyan Evans said: "You are a young man who has yet to learn that fame and wealth bring responsibility.

"I take into account your good character and references that have been heard."

The Wellington Club owner, Phil Harding, said he was 'dumbfounded' at the verdict. "The video evidence speaks for itself. The defence team was a
    disgrace. Once the CCTV becomes available people will be able to come to their own conclusions," he said.

2. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Surprised

I must say i'm a lil surprised that they got of scott free.I though they would at least get hit with affray.
    Credit the defence council for this one.
    Perhaps the CCTV was not as clear cut as was stated.

Of course Thirlwall had his reputation completly blackened and as he was the main "victim" more credence was given to Terry.

Good outcome.

Now...is Terry fit and when are we geting rid of that lil bollox Morris.?

3. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    SoccerNet
    The Guardian

4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Happy bunny

Bates is delighted at the verdict.

5. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Give it some Welly

Did you know the Wellington is reputedly the last place Lord Lucan was seen before disappearing in 1974?

Did you also know that Morris was a friend of the club's owner, Jake Panayiotou, described during the trial as "one of the most respected nightclub owners in the West End".

Mr Panayiotou and his brother Angelo, the sons of working class Greek immigrant, previously owned Browns in Covent Garden, one of the capital's leading showbusiness haunts. They sold the club for £5m in 1999 after Angelo was jailed for two years for firearms offences.

They bought the Wellington hoping to attract the same celebrity crowd that had made Browns a success. It counts Kate Moss and Mick Jagger among the clientele and the walls sport Damien Hirst paintings.

Will the bubble gangster Angelo, who obviously packs a piece, be coming after the young Jody I wonder? Is it time Mr. Morris to do a disappearing act?