The Nick Rimando Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SenordrummeR2, Mar 1, 2019.

1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodbye Nicky. Thank you for your inexplicable dedication and awesome play. You will never be equaled.

2. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some nice sentiments on a Sounders board for Nick, here.

Nobody has anything bad to say about the guy, except that they hate playing against him. They may not like RSL but everyone loves Nick. I hope he sticks around in some capacity.

Cheers to the G.O.A.T.!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

RSLer repped this.
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the broadcast didn't show it, but I found the lack of an ovation for Nicky kind of dumb. Not saying I expected it to happen, but a classy organization would give Nicky a nod even in their moment of triumph

4. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to miss Rimando so hard. As I’ve seen along with you all, no one seems to have a bad word to say about him. I honestly don’t know how you accomplish that as a professional athlete, except by being pure class I suppose. I found myself wondering if his quiet, polite, professional demeanor actually plaid into his never winning Goalkeeper of the Year, since he never drew attention to himself as a “personality” through antics. If so, it’s a sad commentary on the way the system works, but also, stuff that award all the more. I’m obviously just rambling, but I don’t know what else to do!

5. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really think it’s because he never did the MLS/Europe thing nor played a high profile role with the USMNT. And to be honest, the guys who won the award had great seasons the year they did if I recall correctly.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rimando, like so many others that are consistently good, was victim of his own success. It became expected that Rimando would be great in goal. When you go look at the list of winners, especially over the last 10 years, you have to laugh at how many names on there are not good GKs anymore, if they still play.

RSLer and Paleworm repped this.
  7. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    It's difficult when the length of evaluation for these awards is only one season. I guess a player's reward for being consistently top-5 in a position but never first is a long and well-paid career.

They should have a player of the quinquennium (it's a word, dumbass) or something to recognize consistent bouts of excellence.

Lizzie Bee and Paleworm repped this.
  8. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000