News: The Nick Powell Thread.

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by pgr17, Jun 12, 2012.

1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I think thats a different Lee Martin.

2. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    :oops: I'll get my coat...

3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    where does he play? or what is his best position? hopefully not out wide:confused:

4. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Im not sure anyone knows his best position quite yet.

He played off the main striker during the promotion final this past may, and other games down the stretch. His manager said he played as a central midfielder, distributing more for the England u20's in the WC. Others say he can play on the wing.

I think we are all anxious to find out ourselves. If i had to get, he might get his first game, wether the reserves or capital one cup, on the wings.

5. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Good call. As someone else on here said a while ago, the wings seem to be where United give young attacking players their shot.

6. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've always viewed him as the offensive partner in a 2 man middle myself (long term). But, we shall see.

7. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some good players there.

8. G-boot

G-boot Member

Manchester United
    Nov 6, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lee Sharpe was awesome and Dion Dublin was pretty cool too.

9. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fergie expects Nick Powell to become a CM.

johno repped this.
  10. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He also expects Anderson to become one.

barroldinho, Invincible and JayBoy repped this.
  11. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol touche

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    yeah but I think Nick is not nearly as far along with his development as Ando was - unless we are talking about shooting skills. Also, playing for a small team, really talented players sometimes get played further forward than they would for a bigger team.

See Yaya, Toure -- DM/CM for Barca, AM for Citeh.

13. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    What's become of Nick Powell? Played in that League Cup loss last year to MK Dons, then loaned to Leicester where he only played a couple of games. Not given the no. 22 shirt this season. I guess he'll be on his way to a League 1 club shortly for nothing.

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Anderson ate his mojo.

15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd heard he had an attitude problem. Googling 'Nick Powell attitude' comes up with a bunch of stuff.

Maybe we failed on the due-diligence again ...

16. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's had attitude problems on his loans over the last two years plus a drink driving charge I believe. He'll be gone on loan again this season.

17. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Although it was unpopular with the players (reportedly) as he replaced Mata who despite his many issues created the goal for Martial and is probably our best creative player and highest EPL scorer this season, it was still good to see Powell back.

Think of him as an attacking midfielder, but according to MEN he is seen as a possible forward by the coaches;

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...k-powell-manchester-united-wolfsburg-10578082

18. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Felt the same. I don't think he's making it here, but I want him to do well enough to get him set up elsewhere.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #44 Ashur, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    The decision to bring him on for our most creative player on the day is still baffling though. Especially when you have Pereira available as well who probably would have been a much better choice at the time. I'm still trying to figure out what happened there...

20. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd have taken Pereira as well. But Mata should never have been taken off. Red News was reporting that Mata went off on LVG after the match, letting him now he felt about the sub. Haven't seen it anywhere else though.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #46 Ashur, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    It's like I said, taking off Mata, who for the first time in a while was having his best game, still doesn't compute.
    As to him allegedly going off on Van Gaal, I personally have a tough time believing that: at this point, it seems that the craziest stories will be written about us because we are in crisis. Case in point was that stupid rumor that was started about Rooney and high alcohol levels or whatever. That story never made sense in the first place, yet some news outlet end up running with it and end up having to submit a retraction and an apology.
    Not saying this is on the same level, but the press will take advantage of the turmoil and either "embellish" stories or make up flat out lies. We're some players disappointed and probably mad after the game? I would hope so for sure, but I'm not buying most of the stories that are coming out now...
    The bottom line though is that while it sucks being eliminated in the group stages of the CL, the season is far from over and there is still plenty to play for in domestic competitions (which are far more realistic goals at this point). So let's hope they don't wallow in this BS and that everyone, Van Gaal included, get their heads out of their a@@es and do whatever they can to make things right, starting with Saturday's game vs Bournemouth, which will be not be easy, especially with our injury list the way it is for the moment...

22. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Given how thin we are this weekend, I wonder if Powell could see the field again this weekend. No Smalling, possibly no Jones at CB may require Carrick to be back there unless Tuanzebe may be back there.

Back 4 - Borthwick-Jackson, Carrick, Blind, Varela
    Front 4 - Mata/Fellaini, Depay, Lingard, Martial

Midfield 2 - whichever of Mata/Fellaini isn't playing, a youth (Goss/Powell/McNair) - because I'm not sure if Herrera, Schneiderlin available

23. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
  24. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He played there for Wigan. Most times he had a strike partner iirc. He has the size and speed, but it would be risky.

25. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    When he scored against I believe three years ago from long range he played in the middle, Fergie was in charge then. He looked good there.