The NFL in Carson?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by dl, May 20, 2003.

1. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Where are the NIMBYs when you need them?

2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt on the phone as we speak!

3. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    Cant we get Hunt and Kraft to help us out with this?

4. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    I wouldn't count on it seeing as Hunt owns the Chiefs and Kraft owns the Patriots.

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does this have to do with MLS or the price of tea in China, other than the fact that it happens to be in the same city as The Toolbox?

6. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta

No? Really? Since when?

The point of the artical is that the NFL owners are voting to hold an option on land in Carson. See, NFL owners vote on this, both Hunt and Kraft are importaint NFL owners. If they wanted the NFL to stay out of Carson, then they could maybe stop it.

7. Stilger

Stilger Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh god I hope so! I used to drive by the Carson site every day to work, It wouldn't pose a problem for the HDC.

If LA gets a football team I think Carson is the best site, as it could serve both LA and Orange County.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would they want the NFL to stay out of Carson?

9. Godot22

Godot22 New Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Waukegan
    You probably haven't heard about this yet, but there are preliminary plans to build a soccer-specific stadium in Carson. If the NFL moves in, the Galaxy will have to build it somewhere else rather than risk competition with football, America's premier summer sport.

10. Stilger

Stilger Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me i'm dense and your joking?

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Withdrawn. I get what he was saying.

12. keeppah

keeppah Member

Feb 10, 2000
    Taunton, MA
    I don't.

The HDC is 99% complete, it's not like they're going to tear it down. I don't see how this hurts MLS in any way whatsoever.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Godot wasn't serious. The last four words clued me in.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't they get points for being ex-wives? ;)

You're almost to 10,000, Mike. What happens then?

15. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they married you? [​IMG]

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could be a polygamist.

17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kraft won't stop it...

It's pretty common knowledge in NFL circles that Kraft has been a big proponent of having a team in LA, given that it is the 2nd biggest TV market in the country, and without a local team for several years, interest in the league as a whole would wane, he argues. In fact, he wanted the expansion team that went to Houston to go in LA, but since the Houston people were much better organized, LA never stood a chance.

And unlike the 3 other big sports, the NFL probably has more fans who count an out-of-town team as their favorite, even if they have no real connection to "their" team's city. Kinda like all the Man United fans who have never been to Manchester.

I don't know how much land there is in the Carson complex, but it seems to me that this will be the center for a number of sports as well as soccer. There's the tennis stadium, not to mention a cycling track and a bunch of other stuff. If anything, this could be the ideal place to put a large stadium, assuming you have to put it somewhere. I suppose it depends on what the taxpayers say.

Many people in LA feel that they have done fine without an NFL team for the last several years, after once having TWO. Unlike second-tier cities like Nashville and Indian-no-place, LA doesn't need to spend millions of $$$ on corporate welfare to a money grubber like McCombs (Vikings) to feel like a "real" city.

Tom

18. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I think the NFL has been caught with its pants down and is now doing a "me, too!" with its "Hacienda" concept.

The Hacienda is supposed to be a 100-acre Mexican-themed xanadu that has an NFL stadium, shopping, movies, and entertainment (think Dave & Buster's) within its gates. And having a large concession/entertainment area under security control is a major concern in the "homeland security era," especially in the US's second largest metropolis.

I still believe you will see an NFL stadium either at Chavez Ravine or somewhere in Orange County.

Book it: The Hacienda will NOT be built in Carson.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Kraft won't stop it...

They've been without a team since 1995, and I don't see any signs of interest waning.

I think they think their TV deal will be worth more (or relatively more, since rights fees are kinda stalling) with LA in the mix as opposed to Indianapolis or Minneapolis or something.

20. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Kraft won't stop it...

You know, LA's NFL ratings still aren't that bad. Not comparable to Denver for a Broncos game, or Dallas for a Cowboys telecast, but big games still get ratings over 10. I don't recall the Rams generating that kind of interest during their final years here, although that might have more to do with that murdering whore who owns the time. (Oh, sorry, calling Georgia Frontiere a "murdering whore" is an affront to murdering whores everywhere.) LA is just lousy with transplants that hate LA teams with a passion, and that translates in a lot of fans of a lot of teams.

The only team that still has a big enough fan base here are the Raiders, because their gangsta image hugely resonated with this area's gangsta mentality. Any other team that moved here; Vikings, Colts, Chargers, or the Saints, would have an away game whenever they played Oakland, and tell truth, I doubt any other team's ratings in LA would be very impressive.

What the NFL really wants is another place to put rotate a Superb Bowl, and another stadium getting luxury box cash in LA dollars.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Kraft won't stop it...

Now that they're not blacked out every week by virtue of the Rams or the Raiders being at home every week.

The former, absolutely. The latter, as it's not shared, doesn't impact the other owners as much.

22. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Alright, someone either needs to lay off the meth or I'm just missing how on earth they'd stop construction on the Home Depot Center right now because of an option on land.

Last I checked on stadium construction, http://www.lagalaxy.com/hdcupdates.php, it looked like it was nearly complete!

23. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Didn't some elected officials in Carson recently get tossed in jail?

I have to imagine that city officials in Carson would have no problem closing some libraries, schools, police stations & fire stations & handing the money over to a billionaire.

City officials in LA, on the other hand, would have to explain to a million Chivas fans why they are giving Corporate Welfare to a Futbol Americano team.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Godot, you sure got a lot of mileage out of that one. :)