The Next Santos Prodigy - Bem Vinda Rodrygo Silva de Goes

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    It's going to be just that. Even Joselu is a better option currently.

RoadMan repped this.
  2. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Supersub type of player. If he takes the role, lucky us.

Deep Pal, RoadMan, Savior and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    His passiveness is the most frustrating part. No fire in him when he isn't playing at his best. He has a purple patch every season and then a lot of non impactful games.

Deep Pal, Anon. and RoadMan repped this.
  4. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree with this, but I'd define "supersub" a bit broad, to include him starting games too (in a rotation). I absolutely love him and rate very highly, but I think he's had as many chances as Vini, but just hasn't been able to carve out a starting spot for himself. He's simply too inconsistent. I'd be very happy to have him in a Isco type role (supersub, with quite some starts), but I'm not sure if he's OK with that. If so, then excellent!

Deep Pal, Saeta Rubia and hector_br repped this.
  5. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Excellent post, my thoughts exactly.

6. laundromat

laundromat Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Would not surprise me if it took him a couple more years to really get it. The talent is there. The infrastructure is there. He’s already a winner.

The tragedy is that it when he does figure it out, it might not be with Madrid

Deep Pal, Savior and Digital repped this.
  7. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concerning stat: Vinicius has officially surpassed Rodrygo in goals this season despite having played 700 less minutes.

Just 1 goal in Rodrygo's last 10 Liga games.

Deep Pal, RoadMan and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  8. INST

INST Member

Real Madrid
    Aug 15, 2023
    Like Benzema you mean? Not to compare 1:1 because Benzema in his younger years was much more involved than Rodrygo is now (and admittedly had a much better supporting cast). But we were often rumored to replace him with Lewa/Falcao/Suarez and a good portion of the fanbase wanted him gone He stuck around and eventually he matured into the role from 2019 onwards with that golden peak season as a cherry on top.

laundromat repped this.
  9. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Rodrygo has looked lost ever since Vini came back.

He picked up form just before Vini got injured and continued that blistering form for a decently long stretch, either side of that he’s been really poor, maybe even worse now than the start of the season when he was at least getting into dangerous positions despite not being able to score.

Needs to wake up very quickly.

Anon. repped this.
  10. laundromat

laundromat Member

Jul 20, 2014
    to your point, I personally only really warmed up to Benzema post-Ronaldo.

I hope it’s with Madrid but as of now I just get more out of watching Brahim Diaz on the field

RoadMan repped this.
  11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Rodrygo is vastly better than players other teams start every weekend. I'm conflicted.

petros93 repped this.
  12. petros93

petros93 Member

Real Madrid
    Greece
    May 27, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Man that's exactly how I feel. He's a good talent but obviously he gets lost within games and has periods were he's a no factor but at the same time the talent is there and no teams have such a talented young core like we do.

Anon. repped this.
  13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I watch other teams atop of their League table or close and i think Rodrygo is much better than this guy.

petros93 repped this.
  14. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    With the same token, I look at players at other top clubs, often hyped up by the media, and don't think they're good enough to start for us, at all.

Nathanial Essex repped this.
  15. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's because he is; he's a fantastic player.

At the same time, there is no shame in (so far) failing to make the starting spot yours at a club as big as Real Madrid. I'll go even further and say that I wouldn't trade Rodrygo for a player like, for instance, Saka, who's rated very highly in England. I'd be more than happy keeping Rodrygo; in fact, I'd be unhappy if that 'trade' would happen. Just an example, nothing against Saka who's a phenomenal player for Arsenal.

Again, if Rodrygo would be OK in the Isco type role, that would be fantastic for us. He has proven he has the level required, now he needs to find the required consistency (very difficult, some never do).

Deep Pal, Anon., J-Mezzy and 1 other person repped this.
  16. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think sometimes we can make the mistake of comparing players to those we had in the past, when we should be comparing them to others that are around now.

17. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having an actual striker would probably help him. Rodrygo needs more space than Vini does to be successful. He had good instincts from what I can see and goes get in scoring positions but isn’t always sharp enough around the goal. He is a very good player and still young, I hope he stays for a long time as I’m sure he’ll have even more memorable and impactful moments. And he has had several already.

Glide84, Ssr9, Excape Goat and 4 others repped this.
  18. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    Looks like Rodyrgo went back to what he was a few months back, which is underwhelming. Though some people overreacted and started gloating prematurely when he hit a fine vein of form. He still is firmly in the supersub-occassional starter level which is somewhat frustrating. But if wanted out with the Frenchman arriving, I wouldnt lose sleep over it.

Excape Goat, Bear Crotch and J-Mezzy repped this.
  19. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He was always going to change when we took the ball away from him. When Vinicius got injured we dropped Rodrygo in his shoes and he instantly got more action and more of the ball. When Vinicius came back he didn't get half the looks he did before.

Should Mbappe join the team, touches for Vinicius will drop as well. We don't get to play with two footballs.

20. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Rodrygo has to become a super sub again at that point

21. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Rodrygo is expendable if we really sign Mbappe. His departure could generate a significant transfer fee, which might be where his value lies.

PS: Casemiro should lobby his Man Utd management to buy Rodrygo for another EPL record.

22. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    I don't think Rodrygo will be valued at much at all. Maybe one of the Italian clubs if they sell a big star, but can't see a Premier League club breaking the bank for him as he's never lit up the league, despite having his moment.

Raul-7 repped this.
  23. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yes I am a homer and biased here

but with Mbappe and Vini, I would prefer having a guy like Luis Diaz who runs and presses much more and also is a true winger and is great at breaking down defenses even though he is not as clinical as a goal scorer

just feel he can play across the front line better

24. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You're definitely (too) biased on this one. Luis Diaz's natural position is Vini and Rodrygo's natural position. In fact, I'm quite positive Rodrygo is a better RW (or part of a 2 forward system) than Luis Diaz is a RW (as Luis Diaz will rarely get to play as LW at RM). So I don't see any advantage in getting Luis Diaz, instead of just keeping Rodrygo, who's a better player tbh. Put Rodrygo at Liverpool in that LW spot and he'll light that league up. Sorry, not seeing this one brother, for various reasons too (but I don't think this one needs an in-depth analysis).

Anon. and Halycon repped this.
  25. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

I just feel that when Rodrygo doesn’t score, he doesn’t add much to the team

Diaz creates and defends more even when he is not scoring

Diaz also played RW the whole time Salah was out in the Africa cup and Diaz has been the only starter available lately as they’ve been decimated by injuries and still somehow remained atop the table and won a domestic cup.

lastly I don’t think Rodrygo could press in that system like Diaz does