The Next Santos Prodigy - Bem Vinda Rodrygo Silva de Goes

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    I think we can transition into a different formation. Especially now that Kroos and Modric are soon to leave.

Seoul Villan, Deep Pal and natenate101 repped this.
  2. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He would walk into ManU or Chelsea's lineup. And I'm not sure that Bellingham in-Rodrygo out is really overthinking. If Rodrygo isn't happy with his minutes now, he's not gonna stick around to find out then. I'm sure he thinks hes worked hard enough, paid his dues and now he shouldn't be treated as a youngster anymore. And hes mostly right, he'd be a regular pretty much everywhere else.

Salah would be a bona fide Galactico and I'd rather have him than Bellingham, but their respective ages are a sound argument for the opposite. I just hope that if Rodrygo leaves, we get Doku as a prospect/depth player on the right wing behind Valverde.

3. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He got substituted against Villarreal because he was playing poorly. His finishing has been poor against Getafe, Rayo, Valencia and Villarreal on top of my head. He started all those games so he should be pissed off at his performances if anything.

And some of those games he played 75+ minutes. Is he gonna start at Utd or Chelsea with that sort of performances? They get the next shining toy so fast in PL. Or should he look to improve and be self critical? 18 starts this season and he hasn't played well since Atlético. So let's look at the real problem first rather than harping about less minutes which isn't true.

4. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Rodrygo can’t start for Brazil right now.

Deluded if anyone thinks he’s going to Man U and Chelsea and getting in their 11

5. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    I can see Rodrygo as a very good player in the future. Just not a dominant defense altering one like an in form Vinnie.

natenate101 repped this.
  6. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He can break through in one of these teams with hard workd, but the important point, if he wants a big time contract, with lots of money and a guaranteed starting position, plenty of epl teams will grab him and pay big. They got the money.

7. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    If he doesn’t want to do that here then he simply never had the mentality to make it big at Madrid.

Not many players do though.

8. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    This. The faster we move on from Modric and Kroos the better IMO. Our midfield looks much better without them, we play quicker and get offensive runs into the box. Look at Ceballos, who was getting forward and getting back.

9. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ceballos can’t do that consistently, else we would be seeing him start in place of either Kroos/Modric by now.

Deep Pal repped this.
  10. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    agreed. Ceballos is not a starter here either. My example is showing that getting more help offensively from the midfield would help create for our forwards.

but let’s get back to basics here. If Mbappe had arrived, Rodrygo would have gotten little if any minutes this season.

11. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's not a "basic" that's an if, the basic is Rodrygo is here and Kylian is not, and he has done relatively well for us already in some of the biggest games that we've played in ALL competitions, he deserves his mins and patience.

Deep Pal and J-Mezzy repped this.
  12. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Someone in the last match thread said Rodrygo looks stronger and I noticed the same. IMO his lack of elite pace is what is holding him back until now. In order to not get pushed from the ball after that initial burst would be crucial for him, since beyond that burst he doesn't have an extra gear to keep getting away from defenders. He needs more mass, otherwise he will continue to look like the best futsal player out there on a full sized pitch. Good to see him working on that.

Deep Pal and Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  13. lukita

lukita Member+

Real Madrid
    Aug 13, 2019
    Anyone else think Vinicius is stagnating Rodrygos true potential and ability? Imagine if Rodrygo had a streak of starting 20 games on LW. Sadly he plays outside of his true position because of Vinicius.

14. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Rodrygo said he prefers #10 role instead of LW or RW. He doesn't have Vini's explosive pace and that's a drawback out wide.

Ahmadi8 and 4x4s repped this.
  15. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Which actually makes the post you quoted correct. Rodrygo can't play in his favorite position because in order for his favorite position to exist, Vini's favorite position must not. Its a difficult choice.

16. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    After Modric - Kroos era, A 4-2-3-1 could work
    Valverde right Rodrygo middle Vinicius right
    Double pivot Tcho and Camavinga

Deep Pal, ImadEdd and J-Mezzy repped this.
  17. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I believe Rodrygo will be successful wherever he plays across that frontline, too much quality

ahnaf and temesgen repped this.
  18. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I've been a fan of Rodrygo from day one, but this hasn't happened. I think we might very much have another case of Asensio-type positional headache, because Rodrygo isn't really great in any position due to missing a key attribute for each one.

Remember Asensio couldn't play on the wing because he's not a good dribbler, couldn't play as a #10 because hes not a great passer, and couldn't play upfront because he is not a good off the ball player. Well Rodrygo is a similar tweener: not pacey enough for the wings, not strong enough to be a striker and not enough vision to play in the hole. Hes the definition of quick but not fast.

Deep Pal, Nathanial Essex and lukita repped this.
  19. lukita

lukita Member+

Real Madrid
    Aug 13, 2019
    Now that you mention it that is a pretty good comparison I haven't really thought of. Asensio is quite a bit taller though.

20. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And less agile. But the point is not that, but that we tried to figure out what is Asensio's best position for years before realizing he doesn't actually have one. Maybe we should save ourselves some time with Rodrygo and flip him for someone who suits the team better.

21. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Fair enough opinion, gotta disagree, quick but not fast ? quick is enough for me, how many times have we seen Rodrygo beating and trailing 2 and 3 players whilst getting into the box. even scoring at times, i've certainly seen it, also more than enough vision IMO, seeing things well before others see it, it's why Benz, Luka and Fede seem to like to play with him so much, and deadly in tight spaces, a far better player than Marco in everyway, except maybe his left foot shot, they are not comparable, we agree to disagree

Deep Pal, temesgen and Halycon repped this.
  22. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I sure hope youre right but as of now it still doesnt happen often enough for him to warrant a non sellable status. I do think that for a more schematic coach like Guardiola he'd be great in that Grealish role. So if they come with a 100million offer, I would think about it. We could always use more money for Mbappe run in 2028 lol

23. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #998 meringues, Feb 19, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
    Rodrygo’s issue IMO is that he’s absolutely world class at a position (second striker) that barely exists anymore, very good at a position (LW) where he’s blocked by a world class player, and good but just not involved or effective enough at RW, in part because he doesn’t have the raw pace to play that role.

I don’t get the Asensio comparison at all, but that might be because even when the Asensio hype machine was in full swing I never really saw much aside from the incredible technique striking the ball and a knack for finding free attackers in the box cutting the ball back. Rodrygo has a totally different ceiling IMO, much quicker, better vision and energy, better linking up and playing off of teammates, better one on one and in tight spaces, better finisher inside the box.

24. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    All fair enough opinions re Rodrygo, still, personally, i would have no interest in selling him, none at all, a very technical calm big game player, who can definitely help this club to trophies, hopefully the club sees things the way i see them

zizou555 and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  25. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Im not a big believer to be honest. I think he's not bad at anything but not particularly good at anything either, he has no stand out ability he can rely on when a game doesn't go his way to get himself out of it.

He looked very disappointed (I assume with himself) when he was subbed and his situation is one worth looking at. His place for the next 2 seasons on the team should be secure but at some point we'll reach the point where it's sink or swim, he'll want a clear picture of where he's going as well.

Bear Crotch repped this.