The next LA Derby ...

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by KCWiz, May 19, 2006.

1. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    ...is on ESPN2, primetime. June 8, that's a Thursday night, just before the World Cup. Who is going to be up in the booth for this game? Man, what a mistake by MLS to schedule this game in June ...

2. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Rob Stone or Glenn Davis on PBP. Don't know about color.

3. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    But aren't they going to be in GErmany?

4. joebloe888

joebloe888 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    Nope.

Stone and Davis will be calling World Cup games from Bristol.

5. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Its top team for games —Dave O'Brien and three-time World Cup player Marcelo Balboa — will be in Germany and call all U.S. games. Two other TV pairs —JP Dellacamera/John Harkes and Rob Stone/Robin Fraser — will also be on site.

Davis will but Stoner will be in Germany. So I'm guessing it will be Davis and Wynalda. What an appetizer to the WC. I cannot wait ...

6. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
  7. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could have a joined in progress on the soccer game as ESPN2 has scheduled a baseball game - between two "so-so" teams (Boston Red Sox at New York Yankees) for 7:00 pm ET to 10:00 pm ET that evening. Ahh goodie for me, I'll have ESPNNews that evening on ESPN2 as we will get the baseball game on the YES Network here in Western New York. (I don't think that will mean I will get the soccer right at 10:00 pm ET - if the baseball game is still going on - my guess I'll still have ESPNNews until the baseball game is over - then get the soccer like everyone else.) There is somewhat good news as after the soccer game ends, World Cup Live premieres so we could get 2 1/2 hrs of soccer coverage on June 8/9.

LB...

8. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Saw a press release indicating that Stone's first WC game isn't for several days, so he could be in LA and then go to Germany afterwards. No big deal, but we'll see.

9. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    That's great to hear. But thanks for the heads up on the baseball game. I'll probably watch every pitch of that game since I'm a baseball junkie - but com'n, final MLS national telecast delayed? Hopefully not.

10. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Balboa is brutal. Sounds like he's in the high school AV club. In the championsleague final it sounded like he was only allowed to talk once every 10 minutes and he still couldn't find anything intelligent to say.

JP Dellacamera calls a pretty damn good game, I hope against all hope he and Harkes do the England games. Otherwise its streaming audio for me all the way. If he called more MLS games I would be a happy man.

Sadly all these LA derby games are at bad times for me to watch. I try and tivo them all if possible.

11. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Last year the debut of the LA derby was delayed until the 2nd half, as you may remember.. The NFL Draft...
    I wonder if there are any possible conflict problems for WC matches?... Just changing the broadcast to another of the 3 stations or ESPN Classic/ESPN News will still piss off a lot of people recording the WC while at work..

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN2 has Mike & Mike at 6 AM, then Cold Pizza at 10 AM. On days when they'll have WC coverage, they'll probably just cut away from M&M.

ESPN will probably just air SportsCenter repeats starting at 5 AM EDT, then going to WC when that starts.

The question is about the games during the weekend (which aren't that many, but they're out there.) The French Open is also on the ESPN networks around this same time.

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing that you'll get ESPN News (or other blackout material) until the Sox-Yanks game is over. I'm not too familiar with their blackout rule, but what's the chances that they'll put an alternate game on (ESPN Alternate)? Either way, you'll be in blackout programming until the end of the Yankee game.

If it does go over, hopefully they'll run something at the bottom "MLS Soccer will be shown on tape delay at the conclusion of this game."

The real question is why doesn't this game go on ESPN? They have SportsCenter until 7:30, at which point they have "60 Greatest NBA Playoff Moments Top 10" until 8. At 8 PM, they're showing paintball championships. 9 PM brings on poker championships from 2005. Baseball Tonight is at 10 PM.

If you ask me, that's dumb programming from ESPN. A whole night of timefiller on ESPN and then 2 live events back-to-back on ESPN2.

14. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    I suspect that night is an NBA Finals game on ABC. ESPN probably doesn't want to counterprogram it on the main network.

15. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why should they do that? Other events on the network don't get tape-delayed when something in front of them runs over. You just pick up where they are.

16. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this in US Mens N&A forum:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361243&page=2
    (scroll down to post #27)

DAGsports/Kyptonite - yes, June 8 is when the NBA Finals begins on ABC. Another reason why the baseball game is on ESPN2 is so there will be no worries about the baseball going long and run into Sportscenter time slot at 11:00 pm EDT which no doubt will lead-off with highlights of Game #1. ABC can then promote at the end of their coverage - flip to ESPN now for highlights/post game interviews etc on Sportscenter.

Kyptonite - Alternate game on ESPN2? So far this season when the Yankees have played on ESPN/ESPN2 and YES is also televising the game - we have got ESPN News for the duration of the game so I expect that come June 8 as well. No alternate games yet this season. I know we have got an alternate game in the past - maybe YES complained about that too - saying an alternate game cut into their ratings some if ESPN/ESPN2 is showing a Yankees game. Would be cool if for once we can have the choice of flipping back and forth between ESPN/ESPN-YES Network and hear the different views of the same game. Oh well, I'll be watching Yanks-Sox on YES Network - hoping it ends before 10:00 pm EDT so we can see the MLS game in its entirely on ESPN2 and not have "millions" of posts in here complaining about ESPN2 messed up the MLS coverage once again.

LB...

17. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Any Yankees or Red Sox fans know who's likely to start that night? My search only gives probables three days out. With any luck it'll be a couple of good pitchers so the game goes fast.

18. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    Tim Wakefield for the Sox, I believe. He pitches today and based on the probable pitchers that I've seen listed through Wednesday (Schilling for Wednesday, he pitched last night and Wake is throwing tonight), it should be Wake. For the Yanks, it's probably Randy Johnson. He's pitching today but based on the probable pitchers listed, it looks like it will be his turn again. No idea how that matchup will go as neither pitcher has been consistent this season.

19. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless the rotation changes (due to injury would be the only way) Randy Johnson and Tim Wakefield are scheduled to be the pitchers for next Thursday night. (They are both pitching today) Jared Wright who pitched last night for the Yankees is going Wednesday so that means Johnson for Thursday. I'm not a expert but I know Johnson (at least before this season) pitches quick games however I doubt Wakefield does with the knuckleball.

Although it doesn't matter who pitches-its Red Sox-Yankees-those games never go under three hours! ESPN2/MLS should have realized that and had the soccer scheduled for 10:30 pm ET-11:00 pm ET.

Just a future hint-if you check the teams websites-they usually go four games in advance-go to news-then click on probable pitchers.

LB...

20. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May 1 - 3:04
    May 9 - 3:18
    May 10 - 3:13
    May 11 - 3:59
    May 22 - 2:43
    May 23 - 3:18
    May 24 - 3:30

Average game time this season - 3:18

Regarding the timing of the MLS match. THey may have had no choice. World Cup Live is on after it with the NBA Finals postgame on ESPN2 after that and the Today at the French Open after that. Those other things may have been locked in to those slots, putting SUM in a bind.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Why is it a mistake? Figures show that MLS attendance increase slightly during a World Cup. So with the heightened increase in football, it makes sense that TV figures also increase.

Although, technically this match isn't during the World Cup, i guess.

22. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    FWIW, ESPN dropped alternate MLB games starting this year because RSNs are now on expanded basic in most systems. So the viewer has a choice between their local team and an out-of-market game. Usually a pretty easy decision, and the ratings probably reflected this. So ESPN just stopped trying to counterprogram. In turn, they are now allowed to lift blackouts on Monday nights a certain number of times each season.

MLS probably recognizes that much of the country might only see half the game.

NY and Boston might actually get all of it, as ESPN has been showing Baseball Tonight at the scheduled end of MLB games in markets where local blackouts are in effect. The rest of the country then JIPs.

23. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I had hoped to be home for this game. Hopefully my Tivo will pick it up (it gets everything soccer). I need a fix before the the world cup starts! Plus I allways love the LA derbys. Go Goats.

24. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But with the first World Cup Live right after it, it's perfect timing. Sadly, some people will worry more about missing 20 minutes than the other two hours of soccer on TV tonight.

25. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a possibility of a rain out in New York, so it might work out after all.