The New Year, new Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    My in-laws have a place in the Lot region, fantastic cycling out there. I'm time trialer and too big to be a good climber, so the Pyrenees would be troublesome for me but the Lot is a good blend.

2. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    As they noted, he's a climber and doesn't really have the strength to be anything other than a domestique in France.

Pogacar looked really comfortable in that stage and just floated up that hill with minimal fuss and no teammates.

usscouse repped this.
  3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Time trial tomorrow. I’ll be watching that. I like the individual but the team trial is interesting to watch.

Time trials are amazingly different these days. The bikes and the equipment they use is something we could never ever dream about. I could never afford to buy a bike back then (Late 50s) I found a nice frame and a couple of good wheels, the back wheel had one gear fixed on so you couldn’t stop pedaling off, a track bike with a really small cog giving me a massive high gear. Once I got going I was away, as long as we didn’t have a steep section I could keep it moving. I had massive thighs back then.
    Coming down a Welsh mountain I scared myself spitless once just on a tour. I was going fast and hit a horseshoe bend with a drop off on the outside I had the lean the bike way over and with the fixed gear I couldn’t stop pedaling so every time the pedal came around it would hit the ground and lift the back wheel off the ground and sideways. For a moment I thought I was going over the bank to join the sheep below.
    Loved that bike for time trials.

Wingtips1, LiverpoolFanatic and imasyko repped this.
  4. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I got lied to. Time trials on Saturday....I hope.

This guy found it so easy he could do it standing on his head.

61AC145C-07C4-40D5-8651-2DEB61412F4E.jpeg

Wingtips1 repped this.
  5. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    One man and his bike. So you never got to compete in the sheep trials, then? :)

usscouse repped this.
  6. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    And with an encore from Pogacar the next day. The man has earned his yellow jersey.

7. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy was remarkable, repeatedly attacking others after they had exhausted themselves attacking him going up those mountains.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  8. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    His ability, like Armstrong, in the time trials gives him so much wiggle room in the climbs, but he doesn't really need the wiggle room as the best climber.
    All the more impressive when he had several days on the climbs without any teammates and other groups putting on full presses.

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The US COVID hot spot? Wouldn't go that far.

Maybe they can get vaccinated while they are here. We have plenty.

10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I read that 20% of all new cases in the US are in Florida ....... ?

11. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think the Delta variant is ripping through Florida .

Florida leads the nation in new COVID-19 cases, with nearly 1 in 5 of the new infections across the country, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Florida Department of Health reported 45,604 new COVID-19 infections over the seven-day period between July 9 and July 15. The number of new cases in Florida has nearly doubled in the past seven days, and the week-to-week growth rate is the highest the state has seen since the first wave of COVID-19 infections in June 2020. Florida also led the country in hospitalizations, with 3,652 confirmed COVID-19 admissions from July 7 to July 14, according to CDC data. That’s also about 1 in 5 of all 19,520 admissions nationwide.
    Florida’s COVID numbers are headed the wrong way | Editorial (tampabay.com)

12. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Italian tourist saves young Englishman from stepping under a bus.

2D10BA51-AE9F-40A6-BC0F-F6A9E8103730.jpeg

el-capitano repped this.
  13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "Delta variant." Everyone's new boogieman. :rolleyes:

Wingtips1 repped this.
  14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    you don't think it's serious?

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I just saw on tv that the CDC says 83% of all Covid infections in the US are Delta.

16. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep. I'm double vaxxed and infections rates are quite low here now so my concerns for friends and family here are low too.
    However IF you're young, unvaccinated, over 50 or just had one dose? Then you’re most at risk from the delta variant and those people should be worried. Delta is highly contagious and the numbers rising in Florida reflect that.

17. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Contagious, but not very dangerous.

dcc134 repped this.
  18. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Contagious = more infections = more variants .........

19. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we are going to have variants regardless, just like we do with the flu, so we have to come to grips with the fact that Covid is something that will be around lingering in the background. However, if you are fully vaccinated, then there really isn't much to be concerned about. The likelihood of a fully vaccinated individual having a serious illness or dying from Covid is no greater than any number of freak illnesses or deaths. Everyday more and more data comes out to support that.

Will I be more careful in areas where there is a large population (gathering) of obviously unvaccinated people, sure, but in Central PA right now the rolling 7 day average for new cases is less than 10 day and for deaths, its 1 or 0 and has been since the beginning of June, and that with an about 55% vaccination rate. There certainly could be an uptick at some point, but I'm feeling pretty safe out there, and I'm someone with medical conditions which probably aren't all that compatible with Covid. Be smart, but live your life.

Wingtips1 and imasyko repped this.
  20. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  22. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  24. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  25. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now the delta variant infections are tracking with what happened last year. Namely, in the summer months southern states are seeing higher rates of infection while northern states are not as affected. This is likely weather related - people in south are staying indoors where there is air-conditioning, while people in northern states are more likely outside. Expect infections to rise in the north when the weather gets colder and people head indoors. A 55% vaccination rate is not good enough to effectively block transmission chains, we really need to be up around 70-80%. So central PA may be fine now, but expect that to change as we head into the fall.

It is true that if you have been vaccinated that you are less likely to be infected, and you are much, much less likely to end up with a severe case that requires hospitalization. This variant, and others that will inevitably arise as long as SARS-CoV-2 is circulating in a naive population that have never seen this coronavirus, are likely going to largely infect unvaccinated people. Unfortunately for one reason or another we still have large pockets of unvaccinated people in the US as well as other nations, and these people WILL catch this variant with much greater densities of infection than last year. The delta variant is ~225% more infectious than the original virus. This translates to scenarios where if one person infected ten others in a superspreader event with the alpha variant, 80 people would become infected with the delta variant (due to each person being ~2 times more infectious). So there are going to be localized areas where there are explosive infection spikes which will overload the regional hospitals, and these dense areas of infections will “spill over” into the vaccinated population as people get exposed to high virus levels in their environment.

The delta variant also, because it replicates much more readily in the infected person is more likely to send younger, healthier adults and children to the hospital than the original variant. I don’t expect that we will have nationwide, or statewide lockdowns like last year, but I do expect that unfortunately we are likely to see a lot more people die from this in the next year. The real problem is going to be that the delta variant and it offspring variants are going to wreak havoc in developing nations where vaccination hasn’t even gotten off the ground.

So if you have friends or relatives who have not yet gotten vaccinated please encourage them as strongly as you can to do this. They really are not only protecting themselves, they are also protecting you and others.

Samarkand, delaynomo, canucksh and 3 others repped this.