The New Random Thoughts Thread of 2022

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by bayred, Aug 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    saw a video of a Georgia Maga guy being interviewed about HW and the abortion issue. can't find the damn thing now but was something like:

Interviewer: So your view is that abortion is a murder, right?
    Maga guy: Yes sir, it is taking an innocent life. It is murder.
    I: And there should be no exceptions?
    M: Yes sir that's right.
    I: So Herschel Walker paid for a murder?
    M: (stunned silence then) Erm. no. It's more complicated than that.

...... rinse and repeat for 2 minutes.

LiverpoolFanatic and usscouse repped this.
  2. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

3. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Took a 2 sec google search Sam.

I heard you've been hanging out with Zaq a lot recently? :laugh:

zaqualung repped this.
  4. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I was looking at it last night for a bit while watchign an interview where it was ticker-taping below. 207 (d) and (r) 212 were the givens at that point. Out of the rest I saw 5 which (if I had to bet, will most likely go (d) and 2 which are definite (r). That, makes it 212 to 214 with ten seats in play. Most of them in California.
    That would suggest it's going to be where those seats are, and what segment of the vote is making up the last 10-5-3%.....

Be bloody funny if it comes down at 217 each with a recount for that horrid vituperative ex-hooker-Jesus-loves-shooting-kids-with-dum-dum-dumber-than-me bullets freak, Lauren Boebert,... and she bloody loses!

5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    good man, delay. un-fukking-believable isn't it?

oh, and piss off, btw. :)

6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    That you can’t use The Google?

7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #582 zaqualung, Nov 14, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2022

I've been harping on about this to anyone who will listen for years. Twitter is categorically not the same as the town square (medieval) or town hall (post-industrial revolution).
    Limited sentences/characters allow and breed only the crowd acceptance and crowd rejection of the *massing* of severely limited viewpoints. Everything else (as in discussion) is dissolved and derided by the mass of sameness into clamouring and name-calling

It's a toxic, Stasi-Stalinist farce, IMO.

If Luther (the 2nd funniest one of the Luthers - after the guy on Coach) had nailed his Theses on Twitter's door there would have been 2.5 of them - not 95....

Musk may be whatever kind of guru in business that he is, but his sociological nous is appallingly blinkered and limited by a sad dog's dinner of competing lip-services to Objectivism drivel.....

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    IS IT?? Really???

I point you as prior evidence to the lurid visage and rank utterances of a certain de-ranged real estate developer from New York........

This un-civil distortion of perception has been going on for a long time now.....

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    What's the hurry? On 99% of news?? Why the need??

Does it matter if I find out in the morning or the afternoon that Betty White died ?? or that Taylor Swift's 10th song has entered the top ten ....?? Or that Sam applauded one of my Big Soccer rants???

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

You can also always call Burning 24/7 for a little side research .... ;)

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    In many respects this vignette encapsulates my post above about the religious caucus being a political entity and not religious one.

The most important thing to our friend in this video is not any religious law or mindset, but a do-anything attitude to make sure his guy gets elected. He doesn’t care about religion, he does care about political makeup of the Senate.

12. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Yeah. Fascinating. Twitter has proved invaluable for breaking news. 3 current (ish) topics that have been significantly helped by Twitter.
    * The CL final shitshow in Paris
    * Ukraine
    * The midterms.

There are more. Many, many more.

speker repped this.
  13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    many local / higher-level government agencies use Twitter to alert people of imminent danger eg storms, fires, etc. (and in the US, active shooters of course).

without Twitter it's not clear how easily they could alert people (directly and also via media outlets who follow them on Twitter) of crucial issues.

speker repped this.
  14. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The CL final I can agree on in the sense that with people being in a dangerous situation like that, every possible communication channel probably helps. Not sure why you think it helps any more than a face-book post (in a scenario where Twitter didn;t exist).

As for the others, I personally don't think the other two are outside the 99% of unnecessary instances? Why is it important to get news about Ukraine instantaneously, or about the Mid-terms, when the outside observer can do nothing to affect these situations instantaneously?

delaynomo repped this.
  15. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm not sure you really grasp how it works, zaq. I almost exclusively follow Liverpool FC oriented ppl on Twitter ie other supporters , journo's , players , podcasters etc. I don't get any of the Betty White died stuff or Taylor Swift songs because I do not follow ppl who would be posting that. My timeline is heavily LFC related stuff which is what I want to read when using Twitter.

burning247, Samarkand and newterp repped this.
  16. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    But why would you feel you need to know it so quickly?

I will get the same news (from brilliant posters like you!! I admit) the next day, or a few hours later when I chose to sit at my computy thingy and log-in here --- When I choose - Not when the world chooses to bombard me with constant interruptions to the life I am trying to lead.

And never EVER on my phone. I don;t even do e-mail on my phone except in rare work circumstances when I deem it might be necessary that day. (I hardly ever even look at this site on weekends when I am not at work!)

This (IMO) is part of what's wrong with today's society - people are governed in how their intellects react to things, by this pox of devices and the associated social media dopamine. People seem to me, more and more, not just to be not governing their own relaxation time-lines, but actually not wanting to any longer control these things. And constantly engaging in making up unnecessary excuses of the necessity of behaving this way. I have a couple of friends who can't watch a movie (or a game) without also looking at their phones every 15 minutes or less....

Where would you develop the concentrative power to read "The Brothers Karamazov" or even "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" under such intellectual duress?
    And how did we ever manage in the first decade of the technological Century without all this rubbish?

(my other issue with Twitter is that the Speed of Falsity is just the same speed as the speed of truth .... and in the age of artificaill intelligence and political polarization, that is scary stuff....)
    (But Who Knows?? - maybe I'm wrong? Maybe it's good for us....)

17. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #592 zaqualung, Nov 14, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    In California any time a kid is kidnapped, etc, I get a blaring siren from my phone - that simply cannot be ignored - called an Amber Alert with details of car/people, possible location, etc - something I did not ever sign -up for, so it can obviously be easily instituted...

So, there is a way (and I'm betting it's louder than any social media notification setting on anyone's device) they could quite easily do that without poisoning society the other 97% of the time, and curtailing people's ability to effectively communicate under the 300 yr old well-working auspices of rationality....

18. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Pence's Interview ----
    Jesus In A Watery Canoe......

this is good stuff. At 9.40

Q #1 - "Where was the President in all this?"

"David - I was at the Capitol _ I wasn;t at the White House."
    Q
    "I can;t account for what the President was doing that day - I was at the Capitol where a riot was taking place."
    Q
    "David, I don't know what the President was doing that afternoon."

At this point, if I were the interviewer I would have helped Mikey out:
    "Well Mr. Vice-President, please excuse my language here, but, the rest of us who never bought into his mendacious bullsh!t know what he was doing, Mike. He was being a cvnt, the same rotten pathetic cvnt that he has always been. But I'm really not sure what else you or anyone else delusional enough to listen to him for 5 mins expected at the end of the road. He'll sell Ivanka to an Arab if it keeps him out of jail."

19. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't and never have.

Samarkand repped this.
  20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    #595 Samarkand, Nov 15, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    Yep.

Of course the other benefits of Twitter which I should have mentioned (other than breaking news) are customer service and marketing/branding. The loss of both of these channels - assuming the Musk-o-plosion - will be significant for many businesses. So many SMBs use Twitter as an adjunct or replacement for help lines and losing Twitter here will be significant. Equally, pretty much all marketing and branding departments are going to have to rethink their strategies in the absence of Twitter and while that will no doubt create more work in the short term, I can see people being laid off in the medium to long term.

It would be an interesting study to gauge the number of people directly employed at 3rd party firms because of Twitter, FB, etc. As I’ve said, nature abhors a vacuum, so it will be replaced and assuming its demise, it will be delicious to watch, but it will cause trouble for many, many people and firms.

21. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You can turn those off. I scaled mine back to basically "listen up MFer, you're gonna die" mode (tornadoes, nukes).

So basically when mine goes off, I get worried :ROFLMAO:.

22. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I always get worried when a mine goes off...... ;)

23. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Russian missiles land in Poland killing two people. Poland is a member of NATO. Article 5. An attack on a single member nation is an attack on all member nations.

24. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    holy fukk.

25. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #600 SamScouse, Nov 15, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    any chance this is Putin playing chess .... ie "oh shit, no, what have we done!! we'll stop all fighting to sort this out" to give peace talks a chance to kick in and him a chance to halt the madness and save face somehow?

or --
    rogue actors in the Russian military, doing this deliberately to provoke NATO - in order to stop the madman?

or me just wishful thinking?