News: The new NISL

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by cardshopmd, Mar 24, 2021.

1. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    this should go well.

BlackandRedForever repped this.
  2. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is doing this for a reason. My bet is to see what city would be able to support indoor soccer, Place them in the MASL later on and sell the team or the entire league. He sold enough sponsor ships to cover his cost after all this is a bus league so no one is staying in hotels so his cost is low.

3. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    it's 12 hours by bus from fayetteville to southaven, ms. fun.

you will believe anything the guy tells you.

and if you want to bet that this supposed season will be a test of whether or not fayetteville or memphis or columbus can support indoor soccer, you can. it probably won't end well for you.

even if rome had been able to get a lease on the 3,000-seat arena in town, the city only has 36,000 people and the county has less than 100k. but they needed a fourth team.

feels like only a matter of time before they use omicron as a cover for the season collapsing.

4. RichD

RichD New Member

Baltimore Blast
    Sep 5, 2021
    Got to give Haines credit, the league kicked off today. First Game was Columbus @ Memphis. Looked like 150 people at game. Did have professional announcers for the stream.

5. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    announced attendance: 1802.

6. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems about right, that arena is large. I thought the girls game stole the show. They were rough in that game.

7. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    so, in your mind, the place was 21% full? really?

they had sold maybe a couple hundred tickets prior to the game according to the chart on ticketmaster, but they had a 1,600-person walkup? smh

8. RichD

RichD New Member

Baltimore Blast
    Sep 5, 2021
    They did not have 1,800, place was empty.

It is just not worth doing, constantly losing money??

9. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    everyone has their own tolerance for losses at the start. you have to be willing to lose money (sometimes a lot of money) for a while.

there have been a few growing pains, but you have to be stubborn in these things.

10. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that they count the sponsor ticket sales. If 10 Sponsors have a deal with lets just 100 tickets , Those 1,000 tickets are counted as attendance.

11. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do u know they are taking a loss? We don't have any clue what they pay for rent, transportation, or Payroll?, How much money did they collect in sponsor revenue? How Much did they make on merchandise sales? Do they get a % of the concessions?, or Parking? these are things we just don't know.

Now Is he just using this league as a tax shelter, to avoid paying the capitol gains tax on his other investments, and Businesses? This would make more sense. As we all know your not making money with indoor soccer.

I just basically did the same thing, I sold a house and made a huge profit on it. The capitol gains tax that I would have owed to the government was about $32.000.00 to avoid paying them a dime of that money, I closed our LLC I used for real-estate we opened up a new LLC and invested $35,000 in to my primary business of sports cards. So now when we file taxes with my eBay business we will show a negative income. Because the capitol gains tax is different on a collectable.

I would honestly tell you that most of the owners of an indoor soccer team do this same thing just on a much larger scale and take the tax wright offs. Why do you thing most teams will change the LLC name every 5 years, they do it for the tax breaks and benefits

12. Buddy98

Buddy98 Member

Oct 22, 2014
    If we don't know if they are taking a loss, how do we know then you're not making money with indoor?

13. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    You do realize even those tickets aren't really paid for and are rarely used.

aleaguer repped this.
  14. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Most teams fold after 1-3 years, but sure.

aleaguer, cardshopmd and Buddy98 repped this.
  15. RichD

RichD New Member

Baltimore Blast
    Sep 5, 2021
    Did the same thing in Florida with indoor football league(called A League). Tons of talent, league ended up playing just 4 games, tons of empty seats.

That building in Memphis, rent has to cost some good $$.

16. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

May 1, 2006
    Maryland
    Its standard procedure to count tickets distributed not tickets scanned.

cardshopmd repped this.
  17. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I remember that fiasco. The Florida Tarpons got kicked out of a football league, so they created their own league except they managed to get evicted from the arena down in Estero, Florida (it's a really small town down in the Everglades where they managed to not only get an ECHL team back in the minor league hockey craze of the 90s but keep it) and proceeded to make up a bunch of bullshit about the rest of the season.

18. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct. But they still count them in the numbers. We will never see the real numbers of how many actually got scanned in.

19. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have seen this all too often, Because the leagues will hand anyone a franchise if you can pay the fees upfront. What they need to do is require a surety bond for those 3 years.

20. Captain Invader

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 25, 2005
    Lake County (Ohio)
    Well the Columbus Rapids FC (men’s team) seems to be doing well. Winless in three games, having been outscored, I believe, 32 to 3. Including losing at home tonight to Memphis 10-0. They play again tomorrow (Saturday), maybe the outcome will be different. Or maybe they will at least score a few goals.

A tip of the cap to the NISL for the new carpets for each of the three teams with a home arena. Though, why no glass over the goals??? Both for Memphis and Columbus, they have plexiglass reaching like 12 ft high around the corners and ends of the field, then nothing directly above the goal / crossbar. Seems weird.

21. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    distributed does not mean sold. and tickets need to be sold to bring money into an organization. tickets are a throw-in to sponsorship packages, and they are obviously not being used.

you do realize that you said 1802 was about right based on how it looked, and you can't see sponsor tickets that aren't being used, right?

so who are these sponsors you think are somehow invisibly propping up the whole enterprise? do you think nike gave them $500,000 or something?

where is the evidence of sponsors? on the dasherboards? sponsors pay for eyeballs. memphis' boards were empty. columbus' boards are the hockey boards.

no one is going to nisl games. that is obvious. they have hard costs that have to be covered. there is no tv money.

you also overstate the tax benefits. because you are dumb.

22. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    columbus has been outscored 27-1. they might be the worst indoor team ever assembled.

still predict they will finish in the top four.

23. Captain Invader

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 25, 2005
    Lake County (Ohio)
    In almost pulling off the greatest upset in NISL history, the Columbus Rapids were tied at 4 - 4 against the Memphis Americans at the end of regulation. Unfortunately, Memphis scored with about 7 min left in OT to win 5 - 4.

24. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    this league can't even get scores on its website by the next morning. and whatever communications person they do have thinks shootouts in indoor are penalty kicks.

25. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You expect the league to employ someone who knows something about indoor soccer?