News: The new NISL

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by cardshopmd, Mar 24, 2021.

1. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Memphis American's will be apart of this league
    [​IMG]

Scooge repped this.
  3. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    #4 Scooge, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    powerplay13 repped this.
  5. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    ooooooh, I see...it's the eisl again!

6. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the concept of having the men and women play on the same day. But the question is would this work, you now go from having 20 people travel to 40. If you can avoid flying to game, and do everything by bus and not have to stay in a hotel it could work..

7. Ferdinand Cesarano

NYCFC
    Sep 21, 2005
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What I am pleased to see is traditional and diginified branding for an indoor team. I feel like the indoor team that started this was Utica FC of the MASL, when they moved from Syracuse and dropped the goofy "Silver Knights" nickname, adopting a solid world-football-like name and beautiful uniforms.

Indoor soccer teams do not need to have stupid names and outlandish uniforms, nor should they be marketed explicitly towards children. (To clarify: children should of course be part of the marketing; but the team need not have a kiddie-style look and name, as that makes the whole thing seem cheesy, and probably repels the more serious fans.) Indoor soccer is still soccer; and it should follow the welcome trend in American soccer towards more traditional naming.

cardshopmd repped this.
  8. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    indoor soccer has always been a gimmick. to insist that it follow outdoor traditions in any way at all when it has its own traditions built up over 40+ years is ridiculous.

it's human pinball. it's not chess. it's not supposed to be traditional soccer, that was the whole point of the exercise.

and silver knights was not the most inspired name of all time, but it was far from the worst. utica city fc is boring, pandering bs.

9. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    oh and so now you have basically doubled your player budget. (good luck getting away with paying your women's team less than the men, nice optics in 2021.)

and you are not going to bring in twice the revenue to cover it, not with what will almost surely have to be single-admission doubleheaders.

it was a dumb idea when graham tutt proposed it, and it is dumb now. not because women can't play (they can), but because you are not going to get the women whose play and fame move the needle.

10. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we go again, round and round the merry go round of failure. The one league that we have is not healthy, has never been. Especially during Covid. The last thing we need are bigger arenas, more AISA and NPSL to water down a sport that can't draw. Utica works because they have a small building, and apparently a great atmosphere. You can't expect small budget owners to fill 10,000 seat arenas, hire the appropriate staff and pay them and make any money other than your gate and small sponsors who arrive on dasher boards and jerseys and carpet. We should all be focusing on our current league, getting the markets back that sat out this year and trying to get a TV package. IMO..............

11. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well with the buzz around US Women's soccer, I honestly think that everything is going to depend on timing. If the Women Play at 2:05 on a Saturday Mom can take her daughter to a game, be out of the arena by 4:15 and still have time to go get her hair done. Now lets just say the arena rent is $15,000.00 If you can sell just 1,000 tickets at $10 a pop and get them to spend another $10 on merchandise I would call it a success.

Now the men would play at 6:05 this gives you time to clean the arena and do a switch over for the main event that would draw about 2000 people on average. As long as they do not need to stay in a hotel and can travel by bus. the concept could work.

12. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    it's stunning to me that you have not been hired by a league.

still have time to get her hair done? what year is it where you live?

mothers taking daughters to 2:05 p.m. saturday games is not a viable business plan.

we have teams that can barely sell 2k tickets a game for a saturday night game, you think they are going to sell 1k (at $10 a pop) for an afternoon game?

man, you have some strange ideas.

mjames1229 repped this.
  13. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe in your neck of the woods it will not work.

14. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    He thinks the NISL is going to charge separate admissions for both ends of the doubleheader. Why hasn't anyone else thought of charging for the same event twice?

mjames1229 repped this.
  15. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I do not think that, They are going to charge one price for both games, The arenas they are in can give them more chances to sell tickets for the men's game. Syd you still have the PASL Mentality where players should make $233.33 a game if they play and should not be paid to practice.

Just like I am sure when the Sockers Win the Ron Newman cup on 4/11/2021 You will say this was an amazing season and the Cup is back home where it belongs. Instead of calling this what season what is is a complete Joke.

16. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    You're doing a lot of nonsensical projection there bud.

17. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we will see when your article comes out.

18. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    What article?

19. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one your going to write after the sockers win the ron newman cup.

20. lmccluer

lmccluer Member

Mar 23, 2014
    So what is the betting line that Baltimore is not only playing in this new league, but it’s owner is responsible?

21. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    You're really out if it dude.

22. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

23. lmccluer

lmccluer Member

Mar 23, 2014
    All in!!!!

24. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
  25. lmccluer

lmccluer Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Definitely one hell of a night for both the 2nd game, and the mini game. San Diego damn near gave them the game, or really both games. A lot of sloppy playing, and Ontario took some of the miscues and scored.

I am still in shook about the Fury goalie and the other player colliding. You would think the goalie should have seen his teammate coming after the ball and going airborn, but apparently not! Second shock was letting him sit up without a C collar on. As a former sports trainer, I cringed when the incident happened, but even more so they didn’t put a C collar on, and letting him sit-up then stand up. And thirdly, him and anyone wuss thinking he could play at that time. I was sitting here thinking, do they not have concussion protocol in tgd MASL? He was out, and that by itself, besides the way he fell, had possible concussion and/or neck/spine issues written all over it and it should have been no discussion on concussion protocol. Which brings a question. Is the goalie immune to the rule that if the trainer comes out, the player has to sit out until a stoppage in action?

All in all, a great finals for the league. Both teams played with their hearts out for all to see. The camera work and the play by play was great. Unfortunately, only one team can win. Hopefully some people saw the game that never had before, and will become new fans!