The new manager

Discussion in 'Japan' started by teioh, Jul 9, 2018.

?

And the winner is...

1. Arsène Charles Ernest Wenger

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Jürgen Klinsmann

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Roberto Donadoni

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    I don't know if I'm allowed but I want to create a poll to see the community's expectations on the new coach.

I begin with the three rumored names I found in the news. Vote!

2. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tashima refutes the Klinsmann rumors on his way back to Russia.
    https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180710-00263604-nksports-socc

Is there progress on the manager search?
    We've received tons of pitches from many different people.

Are there 40-50 or so?
    No, not that many. A single digit number.

Both domestic and foreign?
    Mostly foreign.

Any whom you particularly have an eye on?
    I'll see Sekizuka over there so that we can have a thorough discussion.

Are you trying to close the deal during July?
    We don't want to rush things, but there isn't any upside in letting it drag into August or September.

The technical committee is supposed to make a recommendation to be decided on by the board?
    I think the technical committee will decide on the types of attributes we want in a coach.

Several different names have been thrown about.
    I've never even met Klinsmann-san. He refuted the rumors for us. We need to select someone who is really the best fit for Japan. Before we make that decision, we would like the technical committee to thoroughly discuss the type of coach and a set of criteria.

Including whether that person will be Japanese or foreign.
    I'd like the technical committee to talk it over in depth.

Is the technical committee going to submit specific names in parallel?
    There are various ways to go about it - the committee could handle this part, or leave it up to the technical director Sekizuka.

What is your impression of Klinsmann-san?
    He led Germany to 3rd place and is also a wonderful personality. That's what I know. I was really taken off guard by the rumors because I haven't met him personally, but my impression is that he is someone worthy of respect.

Would Klinsmann fit Japan?
    He never came to my mind...there were media reports that it was already a done deal behind closed doors, but there's nothing like that, and we haven't made any contact. I don't mean to dismiss his qualifications, it's just that he hasn't been in the conversation. He's also refuted the rumors.

Do you have plans to meet with any candidates in Russia?
    Not as of now.

So there's zero possibility as far as Klinsmann-san is concerned.
    99% a no, at the moment. You never know. We haven't signed anyone. Where did that rumor come from? Is there someone who wants Klinsmann-san to be the coach? I don't get it. He certainly doesn't lack the qualifications, and he's a brilliant mind as well as a great person. But he just hasn't been under consideration. It came out of nowhere. If we did meet with him, I would say so.

teioh, GunnerTNB, Drew1404 and 1 other person repped this.
  3. SandyRavage

SandyRavage Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think it would be harsh not to keep Nishino on

Drew1404 repped this.
  4. Ogasawara

Ogasawara Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    No matter whom Japan appoints. The most important task of the new manager is to find a replacement for Hasebe. This will be a huge challenge as Hasebe is probably the best DM that Japan ever produced. If the new manager is not able to find someone who is at least close to the level of Hasebe then Japan will struggle at the next World Cup as the 2 DM positions are the most important positions in the Japanese National Team. The success of the National Team mostly depended on these positions at the past World Cups

Kakeru and Drew1404 repped this.
  5. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will always be enough midfielders to go around, and I think Yoshida will step up to take over the armband from Hasebe. But it's not a foregone conclusion that the team will continue improving in quality. Maligned as it was, this year's squad featured all-time greats at LB, RB, CB, GK, DM, AM, with key cameos from perhaps the biggest clutch performer in Japan's history. Who will overtake them?

teioh, Samurai Warrior and Drew1404 repped this.
  6. Drew1404

Drew1404 Member

Aug 25, 2014
    It's true, this was the peak generation for this Japan team, so when they were on song they were magnificent. So much experience in that team, what a heartbreaking loss it was. How do you replace nagatomo? If only Uchida was still around. I think by the next world cup Kubo will be hitting 20 and nakai 17? So a bit early for him perhaps. Attacking wise you'll have a hopefully peak nakajima, who could be a monster if he keeps going the way he is, and doan and morioka could become stars also. Defense is the issue though it always has been, Shoji to stay, yoshida getting on a bit now, sakai will be a key player. Anyway we'll see some good football that's for sure, it's all about that defense for me.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  7. Drew1404

Drew1404 Member

Aug 25, 2014
    As for manager, well wenger would be an amazing story, and the football would no doubt be beautiful, but a lot of his methods at arsenal became a bit out dated and the team became very inconsistent, sometimes amazing sometimes flat. I'd love nishino to stay, his initial tactics against Belgium were superb, but failed at the crunch. Someone mentioned sampaoli? I always thought he would be a good fit, but after this wc I'm not sure. What about bielsa? Maybe a bit too crazy for Japan. Klinsmann is good if he has someone with good tactics along side him, he's also great with young players. Klinsmann is a great motivator but lacks in tactics. But he has never failed in getting the USA out of the group stage, very tough groups as well.

teioh and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  8. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Nishino is already a no.
    I wouldn't be hugely surprised if Wenger came to Japan NT job.

Drew1404 repped this.
  9. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    That "we depend on Hasebe" theory is a bit shaky.
    If Japan develop good defenders and keep forming superb advanced midfielders and maybe a 20goals per season forward (just 1 not a pletora) we can undoubtedly sustain Hasebe departure w/o problems.
    Even if we keep staying with our problems in defence/attack the team must shapechange and advance to a new level where Hasebe missing will not be catastrophic.
    And obviously we need a good manager. The new comer will have a lot of chance between Asian Cup 2019 and Confederation Cup 2021 to create his new Japan from the foundation. I can't wait to see the like of Doan play with the JNT jersey and how T.Kubo will grow and being called as Miyaichi in 2011 maybe with a different epilogue.

10. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Nakayama as a DM would be interesting to see. He is more suited as a midfielder than a CB imo with his passing skills. There is also Misao if he can continue to improve.
    On top, there are also options like Ko Itakura, Teruki Hara. Players like Taiyo Koga, etc. are also good prospects.

11. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Winnie Schafer is a coach that I like. I remember him for his Cameroon times. Now does a decent job in Iran with Esteghlal.

12. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
  14. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Moriyasu!! Yes :)

15. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Anyway, there are rumors that Moriyasu will take over as JNT's coach whereas Teguramori will be in charge of the Olympic Squad.

16. GunnerTNB

GunnerTNB Member+

Apr 4, 2011
    São Paulo
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro

AKITOD and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  17. Interiores

Interiores Member

East Tokyo United
    Japan
    Jun 3, 2016
    Japan
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #17 Interiores, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Just heard that KFA is approaching Conte.
    Well, i think that is a very long shot, but at least they're showing real intention to do the right thing.

If what the best JFA could do is Moriyasu....:alien:

Still think that JFA has to add Sampaoli as their main target, his stock must be falling badly as well after the debacle, but, like i've said before, judge him by Chile and Sevilla, not Argentina. He will bring identity and tactical nous to our football in general, which is i find very lacking. Watching JLeague with all over team playing very naive gameplan as well as poor positional play lead to blind crossing or long ball forward is very tiring. Across 18 teams, only Sapporo and Kawasaki generally playing with a clear gameplan. Urawa went south after Petrovic sacking.

18. Interiores

Interiores Member

East Tokyo United
    Japan
    Jun 3, 2016
    Japan
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm sure watching Yoshida and Shoji playing, he wish them instead of Tagliafico and Mercado filling in for his back 3. Not to mention, Ueda is good with his feet as well. Not to mention his pace.

19. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Lol ignoring Yoshida, these two play at better clubs than Shoji and Ueda. And also, you can't judge them by their performance against France.

I highly doubt Yoshida and Shoji, nevermind Ueda who is not as good as Yoshida and Shoji would perform better than these two against France since France has the best squad of the tournament imo.

20. Interiores

Interiores Member

East Tokyo United
    Japan
    Jun 3, 2016
    Japan
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #20 Interiores, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Lol yourself, I have never mentioned about one spesific match nor imply that Shoji or Ueda will be doing better than Tagliafico-Mercado if they face France.

I'm not even sure you understand why Sampaoli's three man defence fail miserably at this tournament. While it's true that their skillset is not that good at the highest level in terms of their ability in traditional defending skills or in box defending if you like, what's more crucial in their misery is their inability to capitalize extra man advantage in their first line of their build-up play. Tagliafico and Mercado was just ridiculously passive with their positioning and attitude when Arg have the ball. Against Croatia these issues was easily spotted. And the exact reason why Sampaoli use 3 man defence is not for traditional defending, but to achieve clean build-up from the back by using nummerical superiority. It become contraproductive largely down to 2 main things. Tagliafico-Mercado is very passive in possession and 3 man against 1 FW with that kind of CB will never gonna work.

Shoji meanwhile, while not proven in European League level, consistantly displaying a positive attitude when it comes to build-up play and proactive defending. Apart from Belgium 3rd goal, Japan only conceded from a situation when they were forced to soak pressure in their own third. Meanwhile when it comes to intercepting pass, controlling DF line, or stepping up to more advanced zone when Hasebe or Shibasaki were being pressed or need an extra presence in central area or half-space, Shoji has done it admirably. He and Yoshida even manage to carry the ball forward or creating diagonal or vertical pass to bypass opposition MF to Osako as a post player or Inui in the flank to create one on one situation for him to capitalize. 2nd goal against Senegal begun from Shoji's vertical pass, Sampaoli can only dream of this from Tagliafico or Mercado.

In the senior level, i think it is always better to utilize strong side of the player than repairing the weakness. In this World Cup, Japan showed that they capable to play the pressing game while their positional play were also sound enough to carry them this far, and i think Sampaoli can sharpens that, because our pool of players suit his philosophy, that was not the case with Argentina.

marten48 and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  21. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moriyasu remarks that he is "honored" to be mentioned among the candidates but rules out the possibility of coaching both the senior and Olympic teams simultaneously on logistical grounds.

22. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    He can relinquish the Olympic position and take over the Senior team position instead.

23. yanagibashi

yanagibashi Member

Eintracht Braunschweig
    Japan
    Jan 3, 2018
    i really hope moriyasu stays well clear of the jnt

24. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Why don't you like him as the manager? If not him, which options can you think of ?

25. Drew1404

Drew1404 Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Conte would be fantastic, but would he fit in with the Japanese nature? I think that's too much of a long shot anyway, and he might just want a break. Go on, give Wenger a call

teioh repped this.