The New-Look Daily Show

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Chicago1871, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slate: Is anyone else freaked out by The Daily Show's new studio set?
    I gotta say, I agree with all of these sentiments. The show looks too newslike. It looks like they're taking themselves seriously, and if so, that's a huge mistake. The writing is still fantastic, and Stewart is still great, but the set change is not impressive.

It almost resembles...dare I say it, Crossfire.

Bring back the couch!

2. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I don't like the new studio that much either. The point on interviews makes sense, however. It'll be interesting to see what happens the first time he has a "less-serious" (ie. actors, comedians, etc.) guest. So far, the interviews would have had the serious aspect either way.

Personally, I don't like the interviews as much. Sometimes, I just turn it off when the interviews come on. The best part of the show is easily the first 15 minutes.

3. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Are they going to produce the Colbert Report out of this studio as well? Then the Crossfire likeness may be appropriate. I haven't seen last nights show yet, but Monday's looked poorly lit. I liked the new look of the graphics.

Q

4. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they are in risk of taking themselves too seriously. I kind of like the crappier look. It would've been too cheesy to go Public Access, but generic news/talk show works.

Yup. For most people I know, it's the lead up to local weather and sports on the news.

That was good Rove-gloat last night.

5. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm tempted to say that the whole new graphic approach was designed just so Stewart can interact with the pictures -- which he can now that they're apparently projected behind him. (He already tickled somebody's package the other day.)

He used to always complain about not being able to stick his hand or face in those graphics.

6. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the same thought.

7. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Daily Show officially jumped the shark tonight.

9. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really??? I thought the clips of hurricane coverage were funny (although Colbert's bit was lame) and the interview with Goldberg was great. Stewart called him out on all of the stupidity that comes with a book like "100 People Screwing Up America". If he had let Goldberg just drone on about Hollywood without challenging him, then I'd understand what you were saying but he didn't.

10. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    I like the new set and I still love the show.

...how could that slate writer diss Charlie Rose? I think he's a great interviewer.

11. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Last night's interview was great. Stewart has got some serious balls.

12. sstarch1

sstarch1 Member

Jan 25, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    It was a weird segment because i think they both had great points, so it was an even debate, although it was a little hampered by Stewarts need for audiance appreciation every 10 seconds.

13. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I don't think it was Stewart's "need" for audience appreciation, it's just that the audience (and most of the viewers) tend to be liberal, so they appreciated his stance.

14. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't watched any of the TDS eps on the TiVo since they moved, so I can't comment on the set. But the old late lamented Spy magazine used to have a running commentary on Charlie Rose, tracking how many minutes of each interview Charlie talked vs. his guests -- the number was close to 50/50 most times, which is way, way too much host and not enough guest.

15. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think it is more a way for Stewart to diffuse the harshness of his attacks with a little self-depreciating humor.

I like the new set a lot.

16. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I'm with you on both counts.

I think it's wrong to hold Charlie Rose to the standards of other talk shows, because clearly it is not intended to be your typical blab fest. He talks more than a typical host, because more than anyone else out there, he is trying to stimulate intelligent dialogue.

17. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    I think he asks fantastic questions and I guess it takes a while to get them out. I certainly don't think it because he likes to listen to himself talk.

18. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Last night's interview was great.

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. The background seems to have been toned down a bit. I'm warming up to the look, but I still miss the couch.

21. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. annoying04

annoying04 New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    california
    Will "this week in God" be shown on the new set? (It was one of my favorites)

RIP couch :(

23. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I'm not sure, because they haven't had it in a while.

24. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Appropos of nothing, did anyone else notice or remember Jon Stewart botching the word "muggles" in his Harry Potter piece the other day? He had to pause at the word on the prompter and ended up saying "mooglees" or something.

It was pretty damn funny. I mean, I've not read a single paragraph from those books, but I've certainly heard the word "muggles" a guh-jillion times. Kind of amazing that Stewart, who sort of has to keep abreast of most popular culture, hadn't hear that word.

25. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his defense, I often butcher words and names that I've heard before but am reading for the first time. A lot of my presentations at work are put together by other people and contain the names of prescription drugs that I've heard a million times but when I see it on paper, I have no idea what the word is or how to pronounce it.