The new Houston Soccer Thread.

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by quicksand, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Count me in for the game. I need to get some of my friends involved as well. Otherwise we might be outnumbered worse than if the game was in LA.

2. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in for the game as well.

3. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas
    of course, i'll be there. we should really get a kickass tailgate going.

4. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Congratulations!!!!!! Houston was just named as the fattest city in the fattest country in the world!!!!!! Enjoy your tailgate fatties!!!!! Iam sure you will!!!!

5. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas
    I would....but who ate all the pies?

6. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fat and happy.

Well, you gotta understand - Houston is a really great place to eat - huge variety of cuisines, great quality, very cheap prices. A couple years ago, Esquire named Houston as one of the best food cities in America. Zagat's reader surveys also find that Houstonians, on average, eat dinner out more often that residents in any of their markets.

7. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas
    Seriously. Unlike in New York, we don't have to pay 15 bucks for a burger.

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Anyone from Houston willing to help us organize on a local level? Basically this involves:

1. Acting a go-between for the USA group and local ticket office.
    2. Finding out how best to bring in flares, smoke bombs, confetti, steamers, etc.
    3. Lining up a place for everyone to meet before the game
    4. Acting as a contact for hotels and bars and the like.

It's seriously not a lot of work, especially if I handle group ticket sales, which I probably will.

All of you should sign up for the USA Supporters List, a link to which is in my signature.

Thanks,

Sachin

9. Lark Howorth

Lark Howorth Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I'm willing to help. I work with the president of our state soccer association (Texas-South), and have already discussed with him on a summary level the need to smooth the way for as many US supporters as possible to come to Reliant and have a good time. He's completely on our side on this, and is willing to call out the troops.

He's met with Reliant officials regarding another possible friendly, so hopefully he'll get some early word when this USA-Mexico game gets finalized.

So for my part, I'll do what I can. As I discussed with Ed Bazan over on the Burn list, having a USA game here is a rarity, so we'll probably need some outside guidance on occasion, and the points Sachin makes are good ones. Maybe the best thing for us locals is maybe to form a committee to divvy up these responsibilities. (?) Is that what's done elsewhere where they always get USA matches (DC, Boston, etc.)?

That's all for now. Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

My enchiladas are getting cold. ;)

10. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas
    I'm willing to help, even though I'm up in Dallas.

I firmly believe that if we can spread the word enough, that there'd be a decent showing of US support.

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    What Sam's Army has done in the past (and may still do now), and what the USA Supporter Group does now is work through existing supporter clubs such as La Norte and Screaming Eagles (DC), Empire Supporters Club (NJ), etc. to handle most of these details. In a case like Houston, where there isn't an established group, it's a bit more fluid. We'll work together to sell and distribute tickets and you guys take care of the details I outlined above.

If you want my suggestions, don't work too hard. Don't try to organize a large-scale tailgate party with food. It's expensive, frustrating and leads to pointless arguements. If you want to get a keg and a few sodas for the kids, we can ask for people to stump up a few $$ on site or I can add $2 to the ticket charge. I usually do the latter in DC, and no one has complained.

Basically, what I outlined is what's really needed. We'll start a thread in the Fan's & Travel forum for people to post ideas and the like and then we just have to sell tickets.

Sachin

12. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I should add one more thing.. if anyone has a large bass drum and can play it, please bring it to the game. It helps keep everyone on song and in line :)

Sachin

13. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Sachin,

I will help. I don't have a whole lot of contacts, connections, experience etc. Just let me know if you need anything. I will have to check to see if any of my friends have a large bass drum.

14. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    US v. Canada anyone?

15. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    Could any potential expansion team play at the Rice Bowl temporarily until a new stadium was built? I know the stadium is huge, but I can always wish since I will be at Rice next year.

16. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas
    If it happened, I'd say it would proabably be at Reliant Stadium. McNair seems like the only real interested I/O right now. Besides, Rice Stadium is turf.

Other than that, Robertson is an idea, but I don't know who would invest.

17. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    How far are Robertson and Reliant from Rice's campus? I didn't know that the Rice Bowl has turf. Does Rice have a soccer stadium?

18. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas
    They've got a soccer stadium, but it has an extremelly small capacity. It's only used for Rice's womens team (Rice doesn't have a men's side.)

Reliant is really close to Rice. Probably less than 5 miles or so, but because of traffic the commute would take a little bit. Robertson would be some distance, I'd say 30 min...allowing for traffic and all.

19. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rice Stadium would be awful. Not only is it artificial turf, but it's AstroTurf - that flat, hard type. It's not even FieldTurf or one of those other new generation artificial surfaces that they have at Dragon, Naperville, and Giants Stadium. Also, the field level is very narrow, even for a football-only stadium. A soccer field there would, at best, probably have Spartan Stadium type dimensions.

The Rice Track & Soccer Stadium has a very nice grass field and a new scoreboard, but seats only around 5,000. It only has one stand and it's ancient.

UH also has a 5,000 seat track and soccer stadium - I think they call it Carl Lewis stadium or field or something like that. It also has only one stand, but at least it's fairly new. The US Soccer Festival was mostly played there (along with Robertson) last summer.

Rice and Reliant are very close. When the light rail line is finished, it'll run (and presumably have stops) very convenient to Rice and next to Reliant.

20. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reliant's pitch

What's up with the playing surface at Reliant? This article (which talks about preparations for the US-Mexico match):

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/1897367

Talks about it in these terms:

"...workers continued Monday preparing yet another new field design for the stadium -- real grass on top of real dirt.

Unlike Reliant's football configuration, which used grass planted in portable aluminum trays to form the field, the temporary 110-by-70-yard pitch for Thursday's game will consist of eight to 10 inches of clay and soil atop the stadium's concrete floor topped by two inches of thick-cut Tifway 419 Bermuda sod."

and

"A U.S. Soccer spokesman said the field might be slightly smaller than both teams would prefer, but it is large enough not to be of major concern."

and

"Stadium workers removed four rows of seats in the corner of each football end zone to allow the larger grass surface required for a soccer pitch. With the portable seats removed and extra chairs added in other portions of the stadium, capacity for Thursday's game should be about 68,000.

Although the soccer configuration is a relatively snug fit for the stadium, the 110-by-70-yard size is well within guidelines for the sport, which require the field to be from 100 to 120 yards long and from 60 to 80 yards wide. The corner sections were designed to be removed for soccer matches."

So??? You ask.

Well, I know the tray system didn't work all that well at Giants Stadium. Then again, there were TWO NFL teams playing there. I wonder how well a tray system would hold up if an MLS team played in Reliant. And I wonder, too, if the tray system allows for the expanded pitch size, or if it's limited to just the NFL-sized playing surface.

Second, the pitch size isn't very impressive. Granted, it's the size using this temporary grass surface. But the article makes it sound as though 70 yards wide is as good at it gets in Reliant, WITH those seats removed. Makes me wonder how small the pitch would become once the NFL season started. Would an MLS team have to make do with a really downsized pitch (i.e., would the option of removing seats for soccer games be lost) once the NFL pre-season started? I know that Fire fans might face a similar problem in the new Soldier Field.

21. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More on the field:
    Summary, Houston Chronicle, 5/8.

22. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer on the radio in Houston

Looks like Glenn Davis will have a weekly soccer show on Houston radio:
    KPFT streams online at www.kpft.org and apparently has a call-in number.

The blurb about the station's history states that they were bombed twice in 1970 (it's a Pacifica station), but hopefully soccer bashers don't get so extreme. ;)

23. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get a load of some of the shows they now air on KPFT: "Ejacula"; "Messerschmitt World Domination Happy Hour"; "The Prison Show".

The "Soccer Hour with Glenn Davis" should fit in nicely with that bunch. :)

24. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

There's now a "Soccer Voices" listed for Sundays from 5:00-6:00 pm.

Sadly, it's scheduled between the seemingly innocuous "Bluegrass Zone" and "KPFT Weekend News" shows.

Would've been far more interesting to see what sorts of calls Glenn would get if some regular listeners of "Whole Mother/Go Vegan Texas", "Drug War News", or "Democracy Now!" happened across his show.

25. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States