The new Houston Soccer Thread.

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by quicksand, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeonACR

NeonACR New Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Houston, TX
    2012 & footy

I think that we still have a chance for 2012, even if the stands don't show it. The organizers know that the local people don't make up the entire attendance at the games. Also, Houston will have a majority of the necessary facilities in place by that time, making Houston the cheapest option for the 2012 games.

Also, I've heard that Mr. Haulbrook, the soccer chair (and ex Bay Area Youth Soccer Ass'n president, and active member in STYSA) already has everything laid out for the Olympic soccer tournament, including use of venues in Dallas and San Antonio. According to my source, all he's gotta do is plug teams into the schedule. Which to me, seems fairly impressive for a tournament that's 10 years away.

2. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Re: I know Houston soccer...trust me???

I really hope so....But let me tell you something: you want to see a sell out on Robertson Stadium just Bring KOREA/ USA, KOREA/MEXICO, KOREA/ EL SALVADOR The first step on having a soccer game on HOUSTON TX is D-E-M-O-G-R-A-P-H-Y, at CLUB LEVEL MLS/ MONTERREY, MLS/ TIGRES. IF MLS could adtmit a Mexican soccer team, like INDOOR SOCCER LEAGUE (LA RAZA, OF MONTERREY) that will be a plus, But If Houston promoters keep bringing teams from NEPAL,ARGENTINA,CHIAPAS, well..... they are going KEEP loosing their @SSES.

3. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bummer!

Told y'all.

5. mls4houston

mls4houston New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Houston
    If we do get an expansion team, where do you think they should play?

1. Robertson Stadium is the place that I've heard mentioned the most. I think it's the appropriate size for an MLS team, and its already "soccer friendly". But how much of a problem would sharing it with the UH teams pose? And can we really play all of our matches outside during Houston summers? However, it has recently housed the US Soccer Festival matches and the Mexican Pre-libatores games (all of which I might add have been played during summer, albeit at night). Perhaps they are testing it out.

2. Reliant Stadium- again, we'd have to share it with the Texans, and you know they're always going to have priority over any soccer team that shares it's facility. And is it too big? The 'pros' of Reliant would be it's state-of-art playing surface and it's ability to hold in the AC when necessary.

3. The Dome- this one surprised me a bit. Surely we wouldn't be granted an expansion team on the premise of playing all of our home games in a 40 year old stadium with a roof and astro-turf. Has anyone heard any rumors on the Dome being 'remodeled' to accomodate a soccer franchise?

I would love to hear your input.........

6. kayasoleil

kayasoleil New Member

Aug 14, 2002
    Virginia
    chiapas is in mexico

7. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dome originally had grass, but they painted the roof and installed turf due to outfielders not being able to see fly balls. Hard to imagine them renovating and maintaining it to host MLS and track and field events. Not sure how good of a soccer stadium it would be anyway. My guess is that they implode it to make more parking for Texans games. A shame really.

How would you guys feel about an A-League franchise? I personally wouldn't mind. No league control. Would need the right owner though.

Celt, I exchanged a few emails with the Hurricanes owner and he seemed sensible enough. Even talked about not over spending. Could have done better marketing his club to all the fans in the city perhaps. Making it down to Butler stadium was tough for me. But it was always going to be a struggle when the USL dropped their division.

8. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard several ideas about the Dome, but nothing until that article about MLS.

I don't think it will be demolished, at least not for a long time. Rice recently had something where people came up with ideas for the Astrodome and there were several good ideas, so I'm guessing one of those will go.

9. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston stadiums

I know that beggars can't be choosers, but still, the Dome would be awful. I've been there for a few Rice-UH football games (back when UH played their home games there) and a couple of Oilers games and the sightlines are terrible. The seats are sloped way too flat.

I think Robertson would be great, too. Been there for an occasional Mexican game, Rice-UH football, and the recent U-20 game. Very good sightlines, easy access, real grass, adequate concessions and other facilities. It's not like UH draws big football crowds, so they may be accommodating if an MLS club can bring in around 12-15k about 14-16 times a year. I haven't checked their recent attendance averages, but the MLS club may even beat the average UH football attendance.

The fact that UH hosts all those Mexican exhibitions and pre-pre-Libertadores means a couple of good things for MLS purposes. First, local Mexican fans know how to get there and will probably at least give a new MLS club a good hard look. Second, stadium security are fine with people blowing horns, waving flags, and generally being all festive and whatnot.

The outdoor thing isn't really all that bad if you've been here for more than a couple summers. It would be insane to have a local kickoff at 3 pm for espn2, but I think most of us around here aren't intimidated by a little sun and humidity if it's not every week. I've been to daytime college baseball games for regionals and super-regionals here in June and it's not that bad - you know the drill: sun screen if you burn easily, dress lightly, and drink lotsa water. No big deal - even for interminable baseball games ;)

As far as Reliant, dunno yet, but I plan to be there next month for the LA Tech game. People I know who have been there for some random Texans promotional scrimmage or whatever tell me it's awesome. Even so, it may be too expensive for an MLS club - unless, of course, McNair's the I-O. Otherwise, you gotta think Robertson would be way cheaper rent.

10. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a telephone survey of 508 Houston-area residents conducted for the Houston Chronicle, soccer did quite well, ranking as the 5th most popular spectator sport.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/front/1558549

Here're the percentages of Houston adults at least moderately interested in various sports:

Football........73%
    Basketball:....71%
    Baseball........60%
    Boxing..........50%
    Soccer.........44%
    Tennis..........41%
    Golf..............40%
    Auto Racing...39%
    Ice Hockey....30%

11. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Chron survey is fascinating. I'm really surprised that soccer is at 44% among adults (presumably 18+) in Harris, Ft. Bend, and Brazoria counties.

If you looked only at Harris County, the numbers might be even higher (assuming a higher concentration of Hispanics in Harris County).

Of course, those numbers may be offset if you toss in Montgomery County - dunno why it wasn't excluded as anyone would include at least the Woodlands and Kingwood areas in what most people think of as the "Houston area."

At any rate, 44% in those three counties is still a lot of adults - toss in their kids and we're looking at a lot of potential butts in seats.

My only concern comes from the fact that the percentages expressing at least some interest in Rice or UH sports aren't dramatically different from the numbers for UT and A&M. Given how poorly both Rice and UH draw for most sports (with a few exceptions like Rice baseball), you can wonder a bit a how much expression of interest translates into attendance. Same issue with basketball - it's the No.2 sport, but the Rockets and Comets have been having trouble selling out. Maybe winning would help ;)

12. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's everyone been?

Anyone go to that WUSA thing today?

13. TxSoccerPlayer8

TxSoccerPlayer8 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Texas
    AH!

WOW!
    Yahh, alotta my friends went, but i had to miss out bc i got kinna sick from a football game. I know, bumma huh? yah, i bet like everyone else, i'm busy w/school and soccer and church. with so much, i'm suprised my mom hasn't shot me for skipping some soccer. YIKES! hope everyone is well, and i heard washington freedom won? i thought it was a wusa game. ah well. i heard from a friend.

14. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
  15. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas
    I hear the Galaxy is coming to Houston.

16. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Boca was playing

OK, who wants to go be the minority at Robertson Stadium next Wednesday night? Anyone?

18. Lark Howorth

Lark Howorth Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I'll be there. I'll be bringing somewhere between 2 and 6 other people, but I'll be there.

Now that the rubber is meeting the road, and we have this opportunity here in Houston, it's scaring me how many soccer-playing friends I have who are turning out to be completely ignorant about the world of pro soccer. Hopefully we'll get a team here so to educate Houstonians that there's a lot going on in the soccer world between World Cups and national team games.

See you all out there.

19. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WAC Conf. Tourney at Rice Nov. 7-9

The WAC women's soccer conference tourney will be held at the Rice Track and Soccer Stadium this week, Thurs through Sat.

According to the current SA, UTEP is the top-scoring team in the country. SMU comes in as the WAC regular season champion. Schedule and tourney preview here:

http://www.wacsports.com/section_front.asp?arttypeid=138&sportid=31.

The RTSS is located behind Reckling Park (the baseball stadium) off Entrance 8 on University Blvd. Campus map with parking lots and whatnot here (RTSS is circled in the bottom corner):

http://dacnet.rice.edu/maps/space/images/main_maps/TRA.gif.

There's only one stand, facing University, and you can see it clearly at the intersection of University and South Main. A new scoreboard was added when the women's soccer program started last year, but - just so you know what to expect - this is an ancient facility that won't exactly give you a plush fan experience. Sightlines are great and the playing surface is usually excellent. Here's a pic of the RTSS:

http://dacnet.rice.edu/maps/space/index.cfm?building=TRA.

Basic driving directions to Rice here:

http://www.rice.edu/maps/visitors.html.

20. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some interesting bits from today's Glenn Davis column in the Chron:

Rumored US x Mexico friendly in Houston
    Brewery Tap
    Today's column focuses on Houstonian Chris Gbandi: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/soc/1718217

21. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas
    I'm hearing more and more that this friendly is going to be true.

We should probably start getting organized.

22. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    joel... check out the links in sachin's signature

-jim

23. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas
    Where's Sachin planning on chillin at the US matches? I don't necessarily agree with everything Sam's Army, but its US v. Mexico in Houston. We need every US supporter in 1 section.

24. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    We plan on chillin' behind the goal. Bring your ponchos. That probably ain't Budweiser they'll be spraying us with.

As soon as I get someone to confirm this game will take place and a way to buy tickets, I'll post the info here.

Sachin

25. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas
    Doesn't bother me much. I'll tell all the girls to wear their bikini's so we can just hose off at the tailgate.