The New Era of Financial Frugality - The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Raul-7, Sep 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly Carlo has won as many CL as Florentino. He's won league titles across Europe (Flo has yet to demonstrate he could replicate his "methods" at another club).

Where's the respect for Carlo? Not hard to understand why the players can't be arsed if a living legend like Carlo gets treated like this by his wannabe holiness.

2. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    #2827 Shay Z, Feb 7, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    Florentino hasn't lost his touch, whatever that means. But it's very true that he tries to "eek out" a season or two based on success of the club. I believe that is one of the measures he has to use to keep us financially near the top so that at least we are in a position to make big investments when we want to. On the face it we are "obligated to go for every title" but i don't think that is the philosophy behind the scenes anymore. When we win big trophies the pressure is off for a minute.

The transfer strategy as outlined by the club has been, go for younger players and look for "opportunities" in the market. They've said it publicly many times and i wonder sometimes when posters get frustrated if they have forgotten it or what. The evidence is for all of us to see Vinicius, Rodrygo, Camavinga, Endrick + Rudiger, Alaba, Gab Jesus (we tried) etc while squeezing out every last bit of talent out of the world class players we already have who are 1000% committed to the club, a trait which is super rare to find. When we have success, which we have been having A LOT of, it only makes them think its working.

They also have evidence of the squad turning things around after a month or so of bad results in previous seasons. I can remember at least 3 of the last 6 seasons where most of the posters on here gave up on the season or were at least super pessimistic about our chances only for the team to round into form at the business end of the season and win a major trophy. This also fits great with the spending philosophy. They have trust in the core of the squad because they've done it before.

Florentino can't have tunnel vision and be in win now mode constantly like some fans want. That does not work in the current climate for a non sugar daddy club. I read some great madrisistas on here say, well we are madrid not arsenal so get the check book out and replace a player if he has 8 weeks of bad form. Why havent you guys accepted the reality that we are not that real madrid anymore. If i was a socio and had a vote i would vote for someone who would keep us competitive and winning while also keeping us healthy financially. Isn't that what most people would broadly want unless you're a child for whom football is about transfers and thinks its not real money that changes hands. Isn't that what this regime has been doing?

The Fran Garcia thing is a good example. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere and I was surprised by that. Perhaps the reason he wasn't brought back was maybe the club does not see him as a member of the team, not now or the future. So to bring him back now and play him in 3-4 games and then sit him on the bench when Carva is ready would only lower his value. Keeping him at Rayo maintains his current high-ish value which we can cash in on in the summer. It's as much a business decision as anything else and incorporates the points i made earlier in my post about how these calculations are based on certain things including the recent success of the club. Someone mentioned that sales like Ozil and Hakimi are something we have to do now to balance the books, that's spot on, for older fans do you guys think we would have sold Hakimi 20 years ago? Not a chance. The club also seems to believe in Tobias.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I'm as frustrated as anyone when i see listless and tired performances, but we have to keep perspective. We have won a lot of trophies while having the team transition from a squad including Cristiano, Ramos, Varane, Casemiro and now Carvajal and Kroos/Modric all the while navigating a pandemic and coming out of it in the healthiest shape possible, even staunch haters like Tebas give us props for that, also making sure every single one of our dealings is water tight when it comes to regulations because authorities are looking for even the slightest anomaly to hurt us with, scandalous refereeing and finally, there are other predators in the jungle and they have sharp teeth too. I don't have all the answers and i am not saying the club is perfect but reading this forum you would think we are in a trophy drought of 5 years and close to financial ruin.

Serengeti_Boy, Ssr9, Digital and 12 others repped this.
  3. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

my man

let reason rule

Ssr9 repped this.
  4. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    I get the club's new transfer policy as I've said before.

But it's weakness is already rearing it's ugly head. It leaves glaring holes in the team and necessitates playing players out of position and makes for an unbalanced squad.

I hope the guys in charge finds solution to this.

5. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

6. lukita

lukita Member+

Real Madrid
    Aug 13, 2019
    MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  7. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If we are serious about Gvardiol, it's because:
    1) The club will sell Mendy, for as much as possible
    2) They see Gvardiol as a (very) long term investment at CB

8. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This

Ssr9 and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  9. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    “I am sure Gvardiol will be the most expensive CB ever”

That absolutely rules us out then because we’re not spending that much on a CB especially when we have one who won’t move to LB

10. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You don’t need to be in a prolonged trophy drought to make reasonable and logical signings like ,for example, Fran at LB. You obviously have an inconsistent & injured LB who’s getting replaced by a player at meagre fees.

Now would that signing make us or any other team an immediate title contender? Heck no! But it’d make coach’s life much easier as he then would have to choose an option designated to play ONLY at those places to fill those holes.

Shoehorning multiple players out of their position into something that nobody tried before is totally illogical. I can assure you most people here would still be content at number 2 position in the league, having played correct players at correct positions rather than doing what the board is now making Carlo do.

boeder repped this.
  11. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Speaking just to this, what i find interesting is, you recently posted a stat that says our left side is the more secure side, most the the chances against us are created from teams attacking our RB , curiously most of our attacking also occurs on our left side and the most goals or chances created seem to come from there, so left side most secure, and productive, yet game after game, thread after thread time is spent complaining about a LB, very odd, Vin must be doing everything on his own out there as some fans truly believe

12. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not sure what the point of this would be, this is not and area of immediate concern

Lyra repped this.
  13. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    But I thought you trust management's decisions.

14. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I doubt they will spent 100 ME on a CB. Unless they feel he's the next Sergio Ramos 100%. They do follow something similar to a strategy followed in NBA by some teams that is draft based on elite talent rather than draft the best available in the needed position.

Tchouameni is prime example of that. Casemiro had 3 years left but Tchouameni was a rare talent that wouldn't show up often in the market.

Ssr9, boeder, Anon. and 2 others repped this.
  15. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    That's well and good, but then again the club has a limited budget and there are other positions which are in dire need of reinforcements. (Not saying the Tchou deal was bad, I meant for other areas).

16. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

17. pramod

pramod Member

Realmadrid
    Sep 4, 2006
    Hyderabad @ India
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Man, you are Perez in disguise

Carva has lost his pace (even mediocre players can outpace him) and is no more a real Madrid class and gracia would replace him and not take his substitution
    this is exactly I stopped reading your post .. (sorry Perez you are not really keeping up with competition)

18. pramod

pramod Member

Realmadrid
    Sep 4, 2006
    Hyderabad @ India
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Tchou is not outperformed Casemiro still now and it is just speculation that he is more skilled than case but many believe that he is over hyped French player

19. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fran Garcia is a leftback.

Our starting LB is injured for +10 weeks, we can also argue that he's below average in that position being a defensive liability while providing zero output on the overlap. The other LB we have, Alaba, doesn't want to play there. Right now, we're playing a teenage CM at LB even though his immense talent is wasted there.

The management should have reinforced the team after our miraculous 21/22 season, the gaps have been evident for years yet were masked by our recent success.

Why wait to reinforce after a slump instead of proactively filling the voids in our squad for even greater success going forward?

Lyra and W8W8 repped this.
  20. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    Li
    It's what we always do; ride the gravy train until it smashes against a wall and we then scramble for a season or two to put it all back together.

I did/do admire how Bayern handle their transitions. If I remember correctly, they lost Robben and Ribery in the same season but had their replacements already lined up. To be fair, we've done similar in midfield with Tchouameni, Camavinga and Valverde, but we've left some very key positions unfilled.

21. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Nir_O repped this.
  22. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  23. Nir_O

Nir_O Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Mar 16, 2019
    PSG out of France cup. If Bayern eliminate them in the CL, I won’t be surprise if he wants to leave

Raul-7 repped this.
  24. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And we will suck for 2’years hoping this works out

W8W8 and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  25. dooda