~the New Captain~

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TxTechGooner, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Campbell is the one who should lead the team. If not him then Pires.

2. babyduck85

babyduck85 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Malaysia
    mind if i ask why pires?? just curious... and i need something to get my mind off vieira...

3. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Ashley Cole by a mile, for reasons already pointed out. He bleeds for the team (literally, sometimes), he's obviously emotional without being insane, and he's got balls the size of Barry Bonds's head. He *never* backs down from a challenge - never. He's a future England captain as well - anyone notice he was the first one to console Vassell after his PK was saved?

The only potential problem with Ashley is that he might not be good enough to keep his place in Arsenal's starting lineup.

4. supaman_x

supaman_x New Member

May 13, 2004
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Captainship for Vieira changed his whole outlook on the game.....I'm not saying it would work that way for everyone, but it definitely commands a sense of responsibility, especially with Arsenal. IMO with Arsene's man management skills, I would think anyone playing regular first team ball would be fair game.

5. phillys

phillys New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Malaysia, SE Asia
    WHAT?! Dude...Ash is THE leftback of arsenal for the next few years unless he got a serious injury.

6. duffy12

duffy12 New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    England
    Sorry but do you go to the games?? Or an Armchair Fan?? How can you say Campbell is not vocal?! He organizes the defence perfectly and is always shouting and encouraging players! Toure has said that Campbell has helped him before because he communicates so well! A Centre Back as Captain in my opinion is the perfect choice as they can see the game more and normally are strong figures in your team! Campbell has experience from Spurs, he is a leader.

As for Cole as captain?! yeh right!, yeh he bleeds arsenal but is he really a good example to everyone?? I think not! Great player but no captain.

Somebody mentioned Pires as Captain aswell?! What are you talking about?? Can you really see Pires rallying up the team before the match?? No way!

Captain Campbell if Vieria goes, but I have faith in Paddy so hopefully he'll still be here next season!

7. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He, he, he, this could be good.

8. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    yes ive been surprised by suggestions like lehmann, pires and cole. lehmann just dont fit the bill for me, i dont even no where the pires suggestion came from, i really wouldnt like to see him as captain and although cole could be a future captain he wudnt do it for me YET. he still has a bit too learn first and i dont think it wud be fair to him or the team to give ashly cole the responsibility of a captain just yet. it would have to be big sol for me

9. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    Listen mate, i've attended games on fathers season ticket for a number of years before relinquishing the opportunity to transfer it to my name for at the time financial reasons (student debt & attempting to buy any apartment for myself) when my father opted to give his up in 1998. I've attended just under 40 games in the last 7 years, and when i'm not able to attend matches live, i always catch a game at home if it's on Sky or at the pub. So don't give me that ******** about being clueless mate.

Regarding my views on Campbell, yes he sometimes cajoles players like Touré and Clichy but i've often noticed with him that he is a very insular character. He has only recently be asked to show more leadership at the back to fill the void Adams left but he isn't the same personality, and i don't possess the same strength of character & will to win as Adams and isn't able to IMO instill those qualities in other players. It's easier to direct a group of relatively inexperienced players like Touré but whether or not he is able to give players like Henry, Pires, Ljungberg or Bergkamp a rollocking has yet to be seen. With regards to your point on Cole, what exactly are you trying to say? When has Cole not been a "good example to everyone", Cole is very much a leader, he is very very committed in his play, is a very determined character and enjoys imposing himself on the opposition, is an excellent professional, and often sets the pace of the team. So what is your point? I've already said he's young, and that counts against him to a certain extent, but, if were to pick anyone purely by strength of character it would be him in the current bunch of players. The fact that he is Arsenal through and through is an added bonus.

10. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    do YOU go to games?? talk about armchair bollocks.... where do you come off?? Campbell is a bit reserved, IMO, and tends to lead by example than firing up the troops.... ya, was Vieira a good example with his discipline as a captain?? are you sure you watch AFC? idiotic

11. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Why does every recent thread posted end up being a Trans-Atlantic pissing match?

I'm all for debate and whatnot, but let's keep it civil, boys.

12. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "We saved Campbell, we saved Campbell, we saved Campbell....from The Lane!"

If Heaven forbid, Paddy jets Highbury, Sol or Henry are the picks that make most sense to me.

13. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Its summer...what else can we do?

This fight is a little different, he thought he was starting a trans-atlantic fight but then he found out he was going after guys in England (or at least there part of the time)....oh well, at least it give you job security ;)

14. duffy12

duffy12 New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    England
    Age counts nothing against being a captain at all! Tony Adams 18 years of age captain! Enough Said! If Cole is such a great leader he would be captain!

Cole As Captain?! Right, he is indisciplined and has been in trouble with the FA so many times regarding his conduct so there goes your perfect professional talk out the window! Maybe if he was Captain his behaviour would change like Vieira's has but I can't see that happenning as he is a fiery character and gets involved when he doesn't need to! Wouldn't exactly cal it a good influence to his team mates!
    @ Old Trafford he has not set a good example getting involved! Also he does dive alot and gets players booked, now im all for gamesmanship and all but he does take the mick at times abit which isn't a quality you want to be rubbing off on the whole of your team is it??

And you say about Campbell not being able to help a group of experienced players?? well how can Cole?? He hasn't been around for long and is inexperienced compared to most of the team! I was at Newcastle when he had his debut(rubbish game, lost 4-2, last game of the season, remember it?)
    Like I said before I'm not saying Cole isn't a great player but I don't think he's ready to be captain IF Vieira leaves. Sol is not as good a motivator as big Tone but i'd say he is better than Cole!

Also Itsonlyrayparlour you know as well as me that Sky Sports or a highlights programme does not substitute being there and being able to see everything that goes on during the match!

Right! I've had a Season Ticket East Upper ofr 8 years! Yes I do go to games! Away aswell! Was there at Newcastle, there when we beat Liverpool 2-1 at anfield! Quality Strike from Pires! Was also at Elland Road when we hammerred leeds in the FA Cup, so don't start mate! I've been to many games and am not an armchair fan at all! How many games have you been to? bet you don't even compare! (Watching them on the tv dont count!)

And since Vieira has been Captain his discipline has changed and he has set an example yes! Before he was Captain he was in trouble alot but his behaviour has changed! Vieira has not had as many bookings or sendings off since he has been captain!

I question people's choice for Cole as captain as I do not think he would be a great Captain! Same with Lehmann and Pires! Sol has experience as Captain where Cole does not! He knows how to rally the players and does get involed in encouraging! He is just as experienced as many of the team so of course he can shout at them! You say he leads by example, isn't that a quality you want for a captain??

Cheers! Responses Welcome!

15. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Putting an exclamation mark at the end of every sentence is really bloody annoying!

16. duffy12

duffy12 New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    England
    sorry, just trying to get my point accross, and got caught in the heat of the moment, lol

17. phillys

phillys New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Malaysia, SE Asia
    I'm still on Cole to be the next captain :)

18. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    what do you want a pissing match?? i go to about 19-20 games a year.. home and away.... you sound liking a whinging little baby, IMO.. i might be wrong.. but the fact your so defensive just makes you look like an a$$~

19. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    Rubbish example, the quality of the current Arsenal squad far exceeds that of the one George Graham managed. How many world-class players were in the squad when Adams was given the captaincy? None. Adams could go into the dressing room knowing that he was only lacking experience. Now, if Adams were to be starting his career now, there is no way Arsene Wenger would make him the captain of this team with the calibre & experience of the players we have today. He would have far more difficulty trying to rouse players who have achieved far more than he was ever likely to. My point being Cole has proved that he is at the level of the top players in the squad, and has achieved alot with them. He has played in world cups, european cups, the Champions League & won the prem twice and FA Cup twice. He now has the experience & respect of his peers, & has the neccesary grounding and characteristics to be an Arsenal captain.

Fact: Ashley Cole in 101 Premiership appearances has recieved 17 yellow cards and 1 red.

Oh do shut up, Vieira was a walking timebomb before he became captain of the team. He was banned for 8 games for spitting at Neil Ruddock, he's the most sent off player in premiership history. Tony Adams was a self-confessed alcoholic WHILST still captain of Arsenal, he was arrested & locked up for drink-driving for FFS. Not to mention the fact that Adams along with Winterburn and co were all involved in the ruck at Old Trafford over a decade ago, the same crap you're slating Cole for. You are talking out of your ass. The last two captains have had disciplinary problems, it's not stopped them & Roy Keane hasn't exactly been a saint on the field either has he? And Cole is nothing like as bad as them!

Comprehension is not your strong point, i said Cole is a fierce competitor on the field off it he is a model professional, he's one of the leading figures at the club in terms of his charitable work and his involvement in youth schemes in the local community. The type of behaviour you are referring to are either overblown (the "battle of old trafford") or utter bullsht the type you'd expect to hear from opposition fans, "he's a diver, he's niggly b@stard, he's cvnt etc". Well bollócks to that i say, if you refuse to recognise the guys quality i sure as hell can't be bothered to persuade you otherwise.

As i've said before that's only in terms of age, Cole has played at the highest level for a number of years and achieved as much if not more than the vast majority of players in the league and more than any of the current Chelsea squad for instance.

Yes i do. What has that got to do with anything?

That's your opinion, As you say Campbell is not a good motivator so why bother give it to him? Because you think there aren't any better? Rubbish. Ibelieve there's more to come from Cole in terms of his motivational skills and leadership qualities. I certainly think he can be potentially moulded into great captain and the potential longetitivity of his Arsenal career would for me be another bonus in comparison to Campbell. Cole will be here in 5-6 years time, Campbell will not, and seeing as we will if Vieira does leave have had 2 captains in the last 3 years, stability should be a consideration.

I cannot be bothered to get into that debate. As it can be easily argued that you get more detail by watching it at home with the added bonus of statisitics and anaylsers. I've been to enough games in the past to know that some of supporters who regularly go to games are complete cocks & know fvck all about football. You would also do well to realise that these boards a frequented in the main by fans from aboard particularly America, and that your stance is offensive to them and judging by the quality of your arguments my friend alot of those residing on these boards would maul you in any footballing discussion you choose to name.

And learn to use a bloody full stop.

20. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to its_only_ray_parlour again.

21. sokkerluver

sokkerluver Red Card

Jul 22, 2004
    Chicago,Illinois,USA
    First, I think Vieira will stay in the England capital rather than going south to Espana. Even if he goes WHICH HE WON'T, Im just saying that Dennis let us out against Birmingham when Vieira and Parlour were suspended as well as Keown since the fracas up at the Theatre of Wet Dreams!!! LOL!!!!

22. duffy12

duffy12 New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    England
    You asked me if I go to games, I just replied to that mate. No whinging involved at all.

23. duffy12

duffy12 New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    England
    Do you not think if Adams was starting his career now under Wenger alot of things would be different though? Adams improved so much under Wenger IMO having seen him week in week out. And lets not forget Adams played with alot of these players before he retired (scoring that quality 4th Goal against Everton in 98) and didn't look out of place. Adams has done near enough the same as Cole and won the Cup Winners Cup too! I think everyone in the team now has respect for each other after the grit and determination showed to continue the season unbeaten.

Fair Point, can't disagree with that mate. But you have to say Vieira's behaviour has changed alot since being captain yes? And in my post before I said that Cole's temper may be curbed if he did become captain. I just feel would be the better choice at the in the direct future.

I haven't disputed he doesn't do charity work off the pitch and isn't a model professional off the pitch. Danny Mills is exactly the same doing charitable events but on the pitch they don't set a good example for the players coming through.(Many fans absolutely hate Mills with a passion but don't realise what he does off the field. They dislike him as a player not a person)
    And when have I said Cole isn't quality?? All through my posts I've said he's a quality player but he's no way near perfect and if he was to be a captain there would be certain aspects of his game that would need to be refined. I think Cole is a quality but not Captain material at this moment in time.

If the problem is in terms of age then surely Sol is the right choice for next season IF Vieira did leave. Maybe Cole would be a captain in the future but not straight away which is why I pick Sol. If you look at our squad though, all the players have played at the highest level for a number of years.

Did I say Campbell is not a good motivator?? My mistake, i think I meant he was not as good as Adams but who is? You believe thereis more to come from Cole, yes that's right but you can't just throw him in the deep end and give him the captaincy. Potentially yes, right now no. Campbell will be here for a while, IMO he will stay especially after switching from the Lane. So if Cole is going to be here for a long time surely it would be wise for him to learn off Campbell before being given the armband?

IMO I find it better to watch the game at the match although you don't have the replays etc. There is only so much you can see on the TV and you can't see when players are encouraging, telling them where to go what to do etc. Campbell does all those things and perhaps you can't see that on TV as clearly as you can at a game which is why some people said Pires should be captain. Im not meaning to be offensive in my posts just stating what I feel and maybe I will be mauled in a discussion but the fact is Wenger is more likely to pick Sol as Captain than Cole or any other players (with the exception of Henry) IF Vieira leaves which I think is getting increasingly unlikely now. I'm not enjoying the discussion of future captains as I'd like to think Vieira si still going to be here :)

Hope the use of full stops have been better this time. :)

24. duffy12

duffy12 New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    England
    The problems is though, i'm not sure that dennis will be play as prominant a role as he has in previous seasons with Reyes probably going to start ahead of him.
    I don't think Vieira is leaving now anyway which kind of makes this thread abit pointless, interesting mind. :cool:

25. duffy12

duffy12 New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    England
    It supposed to say " I just feel Sol would be the better choice for now"