The New Big Bad Transfer Thread, January Transfer Window Edition

Discussion in 'West Ham United' started by Batcave Brigade, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Batcave Brigade

Batcave Brigade New Member

Aug 11, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
  2. hammer_scout51

hammer_scout51 New Member

Oct 19, 2004
    I think at this stage the Bent thing is 100% bollox. We all know Bent is unsettled
    however its a sell paper story at the moment.

We definately need at least 1 right sided player. Still like to see Gera bought in plus maybe Upson to assist the defence.

3. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What about Freddie Adu? He's young, got promise, wants to play in Europe and must be really pissed off at being shipped out to bleeding Utah

4. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    First off, Adu is not old enough to be eligible for an international transfer. Second, the coach in Salt Lake was his coach on the under 17 National Team, with whom he enjoys a good rapport. Adu allegedly spoke with him prior to the transfer about the possibility of playing for Real. All of last year Adu played out of position with DCU. He's an attacking midfielder and with DCU having Christian Gomez who is the league MVP and Jamie Moreno who is arguably the best player in the leagues history who both play as attacking midfield or withdrawn striker.

This move makes sense for MLS. It will put Adu in a place where he can play his natural position and score goals which will drive his sale price up and put him in a place he is possibly more comfortable in. Not to mention, playing at altitude will often put him against opponents who are not used to the conditions which will be another advantage for him.

More than anything, he would need to bulk up to play in the PL.

5. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, granted; but apart from that....

6. vdtdcutd5145

vdtdcutd5145 New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Another talented striker is the last thing we need....We're already loaded with Ashton, Tevez, Sheringham, Harewood and Bobby Z

We need someone in the midfield, any position really, that to at least wake up this team...

7. lesliemoss

lesliemoss New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Malibu, California
    You must be joking! Freddy Adu is nowhere near being Premiership quality, and I doubt he ever will be. He's the most overhyped player in football, and should stay in the USA. We certainly don't need him.

8. blainehammer

blainehammer Member

Oct 12, 2004
    White Rock, Canada
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Rumour has it that Everton want Reo for 10 mil. I'd do that in a heartbeat and turn the money around for SWP. then play Yossi in the middle of midfield.
    Forget the Argies.
    I would also unload Harewood and Bobby Z. while they have some market value and would love to see Bent alongside Ashton.

9. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I count two talented strikers, a once talented quatrogenarian, and two also rans.

10. Batcave Brigade

Batcave Brigade New Member

Aug 11, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    How about this swap deal:

Cole, Zamora, Mears, Painstil, and 5 million pound for Bent.

Keep Harewood.

11. TheMobyDick

TheMobyDick Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Fairfield,CT
    Not a bad Idea,given the fact that 4 players are not really worth any money and the wages you save on them going.Then over the playing life of Bent,you've probably got him on a freebie.

12. flagger

flagger New Member

May 15, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Freddy Adu - absolutely overhyped. He's even a bore to watch within the boredom of MLS. But he should go to Englad. He'd be great fun to watch at the 2pm Watford v Wednesday reserves match next year.

13. Rev's Irish Rose

Rev's Irish Rose New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Somerville, MA.
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Freddie A BOO HOO HOO!!!!!!??????
    If HE ever got a contract with MY beloved HAMMERS......!!!!!!

Who I WOULD love to see playing for the Hammers would be my favourite player on my MLS team, the New England Revolution,a truely great talent, is Clint Dempsey:D.

14. west_ham

west_ham Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Peterlee, Co. Durham
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I would trade Bobby Z and Harewood for Bent. I like them both but how much better form will they produce than what we saw last season?

Plus as difference as they are they are too similar...if that makes sense.

Keep Teddy (until he retires), Tevez (until the summer at least) and Ashton. Cole can stay or go depending on offers.

Totally agree, although I think we need to persevere with the Argies. If they go in the summer then fair enough, we can't control that. But so far all the quotes from AP, Kia, Tevez and Masher all point towards them staying.

Tevez is working his nuts off every game to succeed in this league despite unwarranted pressure from the media and the adjustments he needs to make to his game. There is still a chance he may be telling the truth and really does want to stay with us long term. As long as there is a chance I think we should give him our full support. As for Masher, well we haven't really seen enough of him yet. Maybe Curns will have the balls to start him more often than Pardew did.

15. Hammerette

Hammerette Member

Jun 21, 2006
    England
    I think we can live without this Adu player, judging by the threads on Yanks Abroad :)

I would piss myself laughing if Reo Coker got shipped to Everton for £10m, he thinks he should be playing for a top 4 club so it would be a real kick in the teeth for him.:D :D

16. cupcake83

cupcake83 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    You might get your wish, supposedly AFA is putting pressure on FIFA to let Mascherano transfer because of how valuable he is to the national team. They say it's 90% certain that he is leaving in January. It's sad because I feel that given time he would have done well in the Premiership and I was looking foward to watching him play for you guys (particularly since I have FSC and get the Premiership games but not most of the other leagues ;) ). Too bad that Pardew and possibly Curbs seem to prefer Mullins. Tevez is staying though.

17. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin

I thought the Sepp Blatter rule was that you can only play for two teams/season? Considering he's played for Corinthians and West Ham, I thought he could transfer to a third team, just not play?

Is Paintsil hurt, or just sitting the bench?

18. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just crap

19. cupcake83

cupcake83 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Supposedly they've made exceptions in the past if it's been in the best interest of the player. I found an article in English that talks about it. Don't know how much stock to put into though because I originally thought the same thing you did. http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1974010,00.html

20. Birminghammer

Birminghammer New Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Wiltshire, England
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Could we put him out on loan, with the proviso that he can't play against us in the Champions League, perhaps to one of the senior European clubs?

He is a good player, twice the player that Mullins is IMHO, but can't seem to get the break.